Does anyone teach or go to CrossFit?? QUESTIONS!?!?

Options
Okay, so, I am trying to get some answers regarding "bulk" and CrossFit and so far I am just being bullied. I haven't gotten a straight answer and have mostly received "Oh, well that's (bulk concerns) just an excuse. You just don't want to work hard." No, the truth is I don't have the body frame to support a muscular build (I will just end up looking like a small man) nor do I have $200 a month to play around with and experiment on whether I like CrossFit or not (and once I start it's a mandatory one year contract.)
I am trying to make an informed decision so if someone can give me realistic answers I would greatly appreciate it. I know CrossFit is "the next big thing" but if it's for building muscles PLEASE just tell me so I can spend my (limited disposable income) on Pilates or a running club or whatever I need to be doing to look MY best.

I have a (male) friend who is very into CrossFit and he loves it and looks fantastic. But he looks d@mn manly because of going to CF and I am concerned (as a woman) that I will get similar results. I am short but I have a medium frame with broad shoulders (so I am more "stocky" than petite) and I am genuinely concerned about making myself look bigger (even though it will be with muscles instead of fat). I know that I won't be looking like any CrossFit competitors any time soon but I dont want to spend money creating muscles I won't be happy with later. I have no idea (based on what I look like and where I want to be) if I should give CrossFit a try or like I mentioned get into something else like Pilates or ballet or something like that. I already DON'T look very feminine and I just don't want to make it worse. I am looking to increase my fitness level (from Beginner/Easy...I walk to work and to run errands so between 2 and 5 miles most days of the week and I jog maybe once a week about 1 mile but that's it and I really need to step it up but I have no idea what to do). Hassle me all you want about "making excuses" but I really DON'T have the money to just try a bunch of stuff to see what I like and what works..

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be honest in your answer on whether or not CrossFit would be a good fit for me.

Replies

• sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I go to Crossfit 5 times a week and think it is an amazing program for achieving optimal fitness - not just strength, but fitness. I've been a member of two boxes (gyms) and my general observation about people who crossfit is that they look amazing. The guys, yes, seem to get very good results with muscle development, but I have not seen any bulky girls. And these are girls who can press 50kg and knock out dozens of chest-to-bar pull ups. As almost anyone in this forum will tell you, it is very very difficult for women to develop 'bulky' muscles.

As you will also see from a million posts on this message board, a key component of getting the body composition you want is strength training and weight lifting. You won't be doing yourself any favours if you avoid this form of exercise out of fear of getting bulky.

But be warned - Crossfit is intense and you should be starting with a basic level of fitness and a willingness to push yourself hard.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    There is a Crossfit group -- a couple actually -- on MFP. Join one and put the question to them. Here's what I know: People do get stronger doing CrossFit, and most people who lift weights to build muscle would tell you that Crossfit exercises are not appropriate for creating the muscle failure and subsequent hypertrophy necessary for bigger muscles.
    I have watched the Crossfit games on television a number of times. The people who compete in those games are the best of the best -- ie, super serious about doing Crossfit -- and I would say those women look incredibly fit. They definitely have muscles, but they are not huge, bodybuilder muscles; they are toned, defined muscles.
    You should google "crossfit" and "women" and look at some of the pictures for yourself. Or, go on Youtube and search "crossfit." You'll get a ton of videos with women in them, and most of those will be the women who have worked really hard, for years. If you think they are too bulky, maybe it is not for you.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Here is the link to the main CrossFit group here on MFP:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/116-crossfit-love

And, look at the pictures of Sara_m who just posted, the pictures on her profile. She looks incredible.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I do crossfit AND lift heavy. Crossfit doesn't really focus on bulking, because it is so cardio focused. Most of the workouts of the day are focused on circuit type trainings, using weights and full body workouts, so you aren't able to lift really heavy. THAT is what is necessary to "bulk'. All the women at my box, are fit, but not ripped.....Crossfit isn't for everyone, it is intense, fast paced and some trainers are better than others. My recommendation is to look for a free class to get a taste of it before committing.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    $200 a month is a lot of money to throw away imo
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I would strongly suggest that anyone thinking about getting involved with Crossfit read this article first:

Getting Fit, Even If It Kills You
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Oh4FSake,

Crossfit or similar programs that involve a lot of heavy lifting, extreme pull-ups, etc can make many women look over muscled and bulky.

Personally, I don't think that's a good, or attractive look on woman. Woman generally look better when they have some muscle definition without over-doing it, and you can get that from doing more moderate and reasonable classes such as Group Power strength training (repetitive lifts to music) at your local YMCA or other non-Crossfit gym without having to pay outrageous membership prices.

Also, I would not recommend any gym that has a mandatory 1 year contract that you have to sign before you've even have a chance to try any classes.

Good luck!
  • chnkysoup
    chnkysoup Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Is there not a Crossfit group where you live that will allow you to try it out? We have a handful in my area and you can try it out before you commit to a contract. I believe it still costs money. How about your friend? Can he not bring you once for free?

I have also watched Crossfit games on Youtube and the poster above who stated that those women are the best of the best is right. Take a look at them. I haven't seen a woman who does Crossfit who looks manly and bulky, they look athletic to me. I am also stocky for a girl except I am 5'6 so I am a GIANT stocky girl, well at 211 lbs it feels that way. I did Crossfit for a few months years and years ago, twice a week. I weighed about 180 at the time and never lost a pound, not one pound. I did lose a few inches but not even enough to make a difference. Looking back I don't think I was eating very well or keeping track of calories so I think that was my problem. Crossfit is super super intense but hugely rewarding. It is tough and when you get done you feel like you can do anything! As someone said earlier, you must be willing to really push yourself and you should begin after you have developed some level of fitness. In my opinion it is not meant for a beginner who is just starting to work out.
  • Oh4FSake
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! My friend was just telling me about his gym/box and the price listed is for going 6 days a week (I want to go a couple times a week because I get free gym access and classes at school now) so m weigy price would be significantly cheaper. They also offer a free introductory session & baseline assessment and one we week free. This is all per the trainer that I met. I have never done any type of weightlifting (which may be my problem) but based on what I've heard and read everyone seems to like Crossfit and thinks it's an awesome workout so I am definitely willing to try it.
  • meribethd
    meribethd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am confused.

As a woman, you will not bulk up unless you are eating at a huge caloric surplus AND taking testosterone. I can lift pretty heavy doing squats, deads, bench, whatever, and I am not overly muscled and bulky. Neither are any of my friends who are serious lifters. They have muscle definition and look great, not bulky, and certainly nothing like a man.

Do crossfit, don't do crossfit, it doesn't matter to me--but you will never look like Arnold from doing it. Unless you are taking steroids, it is simply not possible.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    With so many different kinds of exercise programs available, I would not advise you to get too sold on the idea of doing Crossfit -- especially when you don't have any weight lifting experience. If you happen to get an inexperienced or and overly pushy coach that encourages you to push yourself harder than you should, you could end up injured, and then you couldn't work out for a long time.

Crossfit is nothing more than an over-hyped brand. It's certainly not the be-all-end-all of exercise modalities.
  • jrowens3224
    jrowens3224 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do CrossFit with my husband (who is a police officer and started doing it after the academy) in our local gym. We do not pay the fees at the local box. My point is, I do not look bulky. And I don't understand why this is an issue anyway. You won't look "bulky" all of the sudden overnight, so if you start looking too muscular for your taste, do something different for awhile.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I personally do not but have NUMEROUS girl friends who do and I promise they don't look bulky or big. They just claim it is a super intense workout.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    My husband owns a CrossFit box and his clients (the ones that take it seriously) look amazing! He has some females that are "bulky" but I think it's more because of their diet AND they are larger women... but he also has female clients that are petite but STRONG! His main concern is safety and form, so he has never had any injuries in the 3 years he has been the owner/trainer. I didn't have ANY weightlifting experience before I started and he tapered everything to my abilities. As I got stronger we increased the weight. I'm still not doing Rx workouts but no one makes me feel badly about that. With CrossFit it is ideal (but not mandatory) to follow a Paleo-esque diet, or at least eat clean. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Some women that do Crossfit DO look bulky.

It probably depends on their body type, but if you are concerned about getting bulky from doing Crossfit, why take the risk?

There are lots of cardo type exercise classes out there that won't make you bulky, but will give you lots of good exercise and help you burn calories.
  • texasdalton
    Options
    HealthGal, i think its safe to say we all know you are not a fan of crossfit. I think its safe to say also that you cant have a good idea of what something is until you try it yourself.

1. My wife and i have been crossfiting for 3 weeks now, my wife does not have ANY weightlifting experirince and not only has learned how to properly perform certain workouts but has learned how to do it safely.

2. Being bulky has more to do with your diet and how you are weight training. Crossfit is more based around building endurance. I have seen way more women that happen to be bulky in Regular non-crossfit gyms, but i still think to generalize is not proper.

3. In the short period of time, i have not once felt or seen anyones health compermised.

4. In the 3 weeks we have crossfitted i have never seen results like this. My endurance is unbeleivable, and my strength is increasing in all of my bench mark workouts (bench press, squats, deadlifts, etc) without having to constanty perform those workouts.

5. The price for a personal trainer that is good for 3-5 days a week is generally 100 dollars a week. 100-150 a month isnt bad. I use to waste 30 bucks a month on a non-crossfit gym for YEARS and only gained minimal results. (5x a week)

The best advise i can give anyone, which i happen to give my wife is, give it a try if you dont feel comfortable, safe, or that it is ineffective then stop.
  • megallegos
    megallegos Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I go to Crossfit 5 times a week and think it is an amazing program for achieving optimal fitness - not just strength, but fitness. I've been a member of two boxes (gyms) and my general observation about people who crossfit is that they look amazing. The guys, yes, seem to get very good results with muscle development, but I have not seen any bulky girls. And these are girls who can press 50kg and knock out dozens of chest-to-bar pull ups. As almost anyone in this forum will tell you, it is very very difficult for women to develop 'bulky' muscles.

As you will also see from a million posts on this message board, a key component of getting the body composition you want is strength training and weight lifting. You won't be doing yourself any favours if you avoid this form of exercise out of fear of getting bulky.

But be warned - Crossfit is intense and you should be starting with a basic level of fitness and a willingness to push yourself hard.

Agreed I have been doing a bootcamp with our crossfit for 6 weeks and have noticed a WONDERFUL amount of imporvement. My flexibilty and staminia has greatly improved in just 6 weeks. I am motived and excited to continue with this journey. The workouts are geared to your ability so you don't have to try to compete with anyone you do what you can and work at bettering your last set of numbers :).

The price is worth it in the long run becuase you really do get a lot of personal attention and guidance so that you are ensured your doing the workouts right and so you will see the best results. Give a try and keep a look out for groupons and specials! Good luck and have fun with anything you do.

Oh about size our bootcamp is at the same time as the Advanced crosfitters and there are women in there who have bee doing it for a couple years and they are far from bulky or ripped they are all toned and look AWESOME :).
  • jrompola
    jrompola Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Okay, so, I am trying to get some answers regarding "bulk" and CrossFit and so far I am just being bullied. I haven't gotten a straight answer and have mostly received "Oh, well that's (bulk concerns) just an excuse. You just don't want to work hard." No, the truth is I don't have the body frame to support a muscular build (I will just end up looking like a small man) nor do I have $200 a month to play around with and experiment on whether I like CrossFit or not (and once I start it's a mandatory one year contract.)
    I am trying to make an informed decision so if someone can give me realistic answers I would greatly appreciate it. I know CrossFit is "the next big thing" but if it's for building muscles PLEASE just tell me so I can spend my (limited disposable income) on Pilates or a running club or whatever I need to be doing to look MY best.

I have a (male) friend who is very into CrossFit and he loves it and looks fantastic. But he looks d@mn manly because of going to CF and I am concerned (as a woman) that I will get similar results. I am short but I have a medium frame with broad shoulders (so I am more "stocky" than petite) and I am genuinely concerned about making myself look bigger (even though it will be with muscles instead of fat). I know that I won't be looking like any CrossFit competitors any time soon but I dont want to spend money creating muscles I won't be happy with later. I have no idea (based on what I look like and where I want to be) if I should give CrossFit a try or like I mentioned get into something else like Pilates or ballet or something like that. I already DON'T look very feminine and I just don't want to make it worse. I am looking to increase my fitness level (from Beginner/Easy...I walk to work and to run errands so between 2 and 5 miles most days of the week and I jog maybe once a week about 1 mile but that's it and I really need to step it up but I have no idea what to do). Hassle me all you want about "making excuses" but I really DON'T have the money to just try a bunch of stuff to see what I like and what works..

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be honest in your answer on whether or not CrossFit would be a good fit for me.

I'm not providing any advice on crossfit, but I just wanted to know if you produce more testosterone than males do? I already know the answer, but women think will become the HULK by lifting a weight. This is not the case because you are a women and do not have the testosterone to become masculine. You will become toned and in great shape with CrossFit. Just be careful and make sure you use correct form and are properly trained.
  • EKN1417
    EKN1417 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Basically agreed with what everyone here has said. If you are still trying to lose weight by eating at a deficit it's impossible to bulk up. Yes, there are bulky looking women at crossfit but their work their tails off for it. Taking in huge amounts of proteins, adding weight every week in their workout, and eating a large amount of surplus calories. It is a part time job for any woman to put on a serious amount of muscle mass. Additionally, many crossfit women that look that way are doing serious heavy lifting outside of cross fit. Turst me, you are not going to wake up one morning looking like the hulk.

One last thing- you will not get any leaner doing pilates or yoga or whatever vs. cross fit or other types of strength training. MUscle is muscle. The idea of "long" muscles, "dancer" muscles, "toning" etc are all complete myths. Pialtes, yoga etc will buid less muscle than quickly than strength training.

Looking lean is about having enough muscle along with a low enough body fat % to obtain that look. The best bet is to strength train while lowering your BF % if you want to acheive that type of look.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't use CF to eat 10,000 calories a day you will not get that look. If you eat way over your calorie limit, and build muscle then you will look like washing machine, which I have seem happen to a lot of girls that go to a halfa$$ box, that doesn't teach them about nutrition as well.