weight training?

Options
so i have 2 25lb dumbbells (one is at a friends though so i can lift there, as im there often).

i usually do 2 sets of 15 standing curls and shoulder/ military presses before each meal. this is a starting weight so its hard to do more in one sitting, but i dont want to go out and buy lighter ones. (i started with sets of 8 and worked up to 15 though).

my question though is: will breaking up the exercises that much still work to build some muscle mass? or is it too far apart to make any significant difference? (note: im not trying to bulk up, just have my BMR increase a bit)

Replies

• Loftearmen
    Options
    No
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    You're only going to build muscle by getting your muscles tired and showing your body there is a need for more muscle.

If you want to lose weight without "bulking up" start running.

If you want to look good for the beach, start lifting (with some running thrown in)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Buy more dumbells.....or a barbell. Exercising to failure and eating at a surplus will build some muscle mass. The only way you are going to increase your BMR by any significant amount is by gaining a good deal of muscle. It's not going to happen overnight.

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    You're not getting to build muscle with that weight. You can use them for cardio, though, and that will help you burn fat.
    Try this: Start with both dumbbells at your feet. Deadlift to waist level, curl to shoulders (strict curl, no body english), squat, then overhead Arnold press. Repeat as many times as you can. Rest 30 seconds and do it again. Three circuits ought to leave you drenched in sweat.
    Try that for a while, but definitely get some heavier weights.
  • reala728
    Options
    alright thanks for the replies. i'll hit the 25s a bit harder and more consistently until im more comfortable to move up, and go from there.