Gaining weight after marriage

itisjessdarling
itisjessdarling Posts: 46 Member
I know everyone talks about gaining weight after marriage I just didn't think it would happen to me. Within the first year I gained 15lbs.. Now 4 1/2 years in I've gained around 40 lbs! I know I started gaining by matching my husbands portion sizes and we were going out to dinner several times a month. Im sure im not the only one. I would love to hear from other people in the same situation.

Replies

• rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Yep! We would grab McD's and eat junk while sitting around all weekend, until we had kids and theyt made that impossible..but we still ate bad and didn't move enogh....we are now changing that 6 years in, and turning our lives around, for our kids and ourselves!
  • amyford25
    amyford25 Posts: 85 Member
    I have the same story. I've gained 37 pounds (with fluctuations!) since I married my husband of 7 years. I just started this on Monday and it seems very doable.
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    I know everyone talks about gaining weight after marriage I just didn't think it would happen to me. Within the first year I gained 15lbs.. Now 4 1/2 years in I've gained around 40 lbs! I know I started gaining by matching my husbands portion sizes and we were going out to dinner several times a month. Im sure im not the only one. I would love to hear from other people in the same situation.

Def happened here...BUT i got pregnant two months after being married so that had everything to do with it. It's gonna take effort but you can do it!
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    I definitely did the same thing. I'm not sure the exact weight but the first year I packed the pounds on. I was about 25 lbs heavier than what I was when we first met. He has gained as well but both of us have lost almost 20 lbs each now. It is tough but definitely doable to lose those "marriage" pounds. I finally saw what I looked like and I was really unhappy about it. Now I feel a lot better and am looking better too.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Yep! Not married but living with a guy. Gained over 25lbs. It's eating what he does and drinking a lot of alcohol
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    I totally did the same thing! Except we're not married (we are happily unmarried after 4 years, lol). But seriously, during our first 2 years together I did the exact same thing. I matched his portion sizes, we went out to eat a lot, we drank a lot (oh, and did we ever drink a lot. I impressed him with my ability to drink as much as him :drinker: ).

It took a while for me to take action about it, but I decided that enough is enough and started working out and watching what goes into my mouth, and the "hubby" has followed suit, and now we are a lot healthier together!
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    I gained 40 lbs my first year of marriage. I also became a mom in my first year of marriage so adjusting to mommy hood and wifey hood worked a double wammy on me. I am now at the weight I was when I got married. I think I may be 5 lbs lighter. You can do it!!! MFP, supporting friends and determination is the key!!! Good luck!!!
  • KatiePeca
    KatiePeca Posts: 314 Member
    I gained weight after marriage too, and babies bring their own weight too. Best to get on top of it now and not have to deal with a ton of weight later.

Good luck!

Katie
  • fmbarbuto
    fmbarbuto Posts: 131 Member

Right there with ya! 14 years of marriage and 2 kids (boys) later - my 40lbs came back! I just told my oldest son last night - "Yeah when I met daddy I was 125 lbs and gained 10lbs of "happy fat" and I thought I was fat back then!" LOL

My hubby is using MFP and I really don't want to know what he will lose - he's been the same size since i met him! He loses weight 2 times as fast as me too and it pisses me off!

Happy to join you on your weight loss journey! I'm all about staying motivated and truly love to give/receive support - it's a motivater itself! Feel free to friend me if you'd like another.... :flowerforyou:
  • Yep, same here. I think I gained about 25 lbs in 2 years after getting married (that doesn't include what I gained when we were dating/engaged!) It's still hard to make myself eat different portions than him. One thing I do that helps when I make dinner at home is to keep a separate portion back to have as lunch the next day.
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    I got married in May of 2010, by August I gained 7-11 pounds (I weighed 181.) when I went to the doctor's for a physical. I had to go again last month and I weigh 159 according to his scale.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    This happened to me....met my hubby and was 185lbs.....not too long after that I was 220lbs!! Then found out I ws pregnant 1 week after getting married.....so much for losing weight then! Thought I could "match" my hubby on eating with his super metabolism!! Now after almost 7 yrs of marriage and 2 kids later time to get back to it!! So I know exactly where you are coming from!!
  • CaraRadz
    CaraRadz Posts: 169 Member
    My husband and I moved in together a year before we got married. In the first six months of living together, I gained nearly 30 pounds. He gained about the same amount. We were eating out a lot, having huge portion sizes, and getting fast food more often than I'd care to admit. I don't know what happened, but I guess we just got comfortable and lazy.

This past December, we both decided that we had had enough. Our wedding was coming up, and we wanted to not only look our best but also to just feel better and be healthier. We joined MFP together right after Christmas and haven't looked back! We've both lost more than 50 pounds and have kept up this lifestyle since our May 28 wedding.

As much as we both contributed to each other's weight gain in the first place, we have since been critical to each other's weight loss success.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Congrats on realizing and recognizing it with only a 40 lb gain. I lived with blinders until I'd gained well over 80 ... which I have since lost (and then some), but I am also no longer married either.

You've recognized it early enough to focus on it and get it under control before the issue becomes a much bigger one to deal with :) That right there is over half the battle! Best of luck.
  • MistyDC29
    MistyDC29 Posts: 99 Member
    Relationships and pregnancy seem to be the most fattening things around! Congrats on figuring it out now and doing something about it!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    I guess we just got comfortable and lazy.

YUP! That's what it is...
  • itisjessdarling
    itisjessdarling Posts: 46 Member
    Thanks everyone! Glad to know im not alone. I am so happy to have found this website the support from everyone is super encouraging! :)
  • TonyaJ83
    TonyaJ83 Posts: 155
    Yep yep that's me!! We married at age 18 ten years ago. I was a size 7 when we first started dating. A size 9 when we married. A year later an 11, then a 13 and that's where I've been stuck for 9 years! I'm only 5' and should be about 110 lbs. I'm currently 154. I got up to 160 at my largest. But never grew out of my 13's. I just told myself that would be the end of the world. Once I got down to a 9 again, but it was short lived. My hubby isn't athletic and hates exercise. He also eats a lot. He's gotten much better recently though....
  • fitnfun1
    fitnfun1 Posts: 234 Member
    I've gained 20 pounds in 5 years with my fiance. I think I'm finally learning that I need to follow my own guidelines for portion control and how often we eat out. I also do say no to the alcohol sometimes too. I figure that with all the hard work, 100-300 extra calories per drink is not worth it.

The good news is, I think it will help him to lose weight too (same deal with him), and we will save money with eating at home instead of going out.

The more we can match good habits with them (and not the bad habits) the better off everyone will be.
  • i totally know what you mean! for me, it was a combination of the alcohol, our mutual sweet tooth , and of course the fact that we are epicureans of sorts, totally brought out my domestic goddess instincts after getting married. Resulted in my gaining 8 lbs over 6 months. he is much bigger than i am (i am 5 ft 2 in, 126lbs, and he is 6 ft 1 in, 230lbs)... plus he likes his couch :)

really trying to get back on track with calorie counting and a doable, regular fitness regime, hard to make the time and muster the motivation to go out and burn some calories when i'd raher just nuzzle up next to my man on the couch.. . any tips are appreciated!
This discussion has been closed.