Weighing yourself every day?

Options

Replies

• DWF65203
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday first thing. I only record when I get a new low. That might be three days in a row and then a skip for a day or too. I know where I am keeping my calories so I know it will constantly trend down.
  • andrew_shelton
    Options
    I weight in twice a week while at the trainers gym. That way not only do I get weight but also % of fat, % of muscle and also visceral fat level ... that way all the other target points I monitor can be calculated / charted (bmi, metabolic rate and recalculated cals / proteins per meal).

The benefits I feel are obvious, same scale each time, same days (typically each week), same time of the day (generally). Allows me to see where I have weight gains because muscle composition is increasing & fat decreasing. A good example of this was last week, I had been eating fabulous every day with being on point or better for my calorie and protein goals daily ... yet I gained 3.5lbs early in week and that was pretty demotivating to see. The next value to pop up on the monitor though was the % percentages and on those I had lost 2% of body fat and gained 1.5% muscle from the previous weigh in. All in all, I was happy with that. The visit following with that, I retained the positives and also dropped the lbs part by dropping 4lbs.

A
  • blondie_girl14
    blondie_girl14 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person.
    Some people weigh themselves just to make sure its working or not working, and others may do it and get discouraged.
    I would try different things and see what work best for you, maybe every couple of days, every week, every month or once a week.
    Good Luck.
  • haylez24
    Options
    i weigh myself every few days, if im busy then when i remember but the longer i leave it i find i see better results, everyone different, ive always been told not to do it every day as your body always varies a lb or 2 because of water and bowel movement. for example i put on 3lb the other day just because i hadnt been to the toilet! mad or what so best to do it every few days

Good Luck
  • glahlstedt
    glahlstedt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    everyday! it's getting depressing though, becasue it fluctuates within 5lbs all the time. i get in a bad mood if i am up! i have got to stop. once a week would be better i think!
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If I weighted myself every day, I'd go nuts with the day to day changes. My official weigh in day is first thing Saturday morning but I'll weigh in unofficially at least once a week.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Hi - I weigh every morning at about the same time. It will always show fluctuations because that is normal depending on what I did the day before. I treat it like a science experiment.

What really drove me crazy was having a weekly set "weigh-in" day. I would dread it all week long and then be upset if I was up a little!

In the end, I figured the fluctuations were going to happen, and that I would always note any downward trend!
  • skillingsrobertj
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, but I don't obsess about the numbers.

I also put together a simple chart to track 3 things every day; 1 - the total number of calories I eat and record in MFP, 2 - the total number of calories I burn on my indoor rower and 3 - my weight in the morning. This simple table allows me to quickly see how they affect one another.

After using this chart for a few weeks, I was able to find a good balance between eating, exercise and weight loss. Since Sept, I've averaged about 2 pounds of weight loss each week and have dropped nearly 40 pounds.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Every time I poop.
  • susanmarnold
    Options
    Everyday! Like Bob Harper says... I am a big girl and can handle it! I can tell when I have had too much sodium or not enough water. There is usually an explanation for the number, good or bad
  • bkibbs
    bkibbs Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've never seen a problem with weighing myself everyday, because it's always under the same conditions: first thing in the morning, after going to the bathroom, before eating/drinking anything.
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I was doing daily and plotting them to see a downward trend. But eventually it started driving me nuts when it would leap up and show an upward trend.

I'm now on the "mirror and measurements" wagon because I can see obvious progress there even though the scale has been painfully slow.

Remember, a cup of water weighs about half a pound. So if you're set up to lose .5-1lbs a week, water retention can make or break your motivation and mindset!
  • thatcrazykat
    thatcrazykat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I weigh in everyday, but officially log on Fridays. For one, weekends are tough to stay on goal and I usually end up needing Monday-Tuesday to get back on track. When I do finally see another pound lost on Friday it's like getting renewed motivation to stick to the goal and not cheat on the weekends as much.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I weight myself daily, naked, first thing in the morning, after I use to toilet. If I weigh less than I did the previous morning, I continue on my way. If I weigh more, I limit my eating to compensate for the extra calories consumed the day before.
  • papaganusht
    Options
    One of the biggest things I've benefited from using the MFP program is education and awareness. Keeping track of my food intake has helped educate me on what's in the things I eat. I weigh myself daily because it helps me know how those things I eat impact my weight and feeling. Even if I know I didn't eat well the previous day, I still weigh - so I know what to expect on "those" days.

To the person that said there's no benefit to weighing yourself daily - BS. I benefit greatly. To each his or her own.
  • runwmeNC
    runwmeNC Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I weight myself daily, naked, first thing in the morning, after I use to toilet. If I weigh less than I did the previous morning, I continue on my way. If I weigh more, I limit my eating to compensate for the extra calories consumed the day before.
    What she said although I won't vary my eating as much as I'll spend some extra time on cardio
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest things I've benefited from using the MFP program is education and awareness. Keeping track of my food intake has helped educate me on what's in the things I eat. I weigh myself daily because it helps me know how those things I eat impact my weight and feeling. Even if I know I didn't eat well the previous day, I still weigh - so I know what to expect on "those" days.

To the person that said there's no benefit to weighing yourself daily - BS. I benefit greatly. To each his or her own.

^^^This. I weigh in every day, but only log it on Fridays. I like to trend the normal ups and downs so I can understand them, and if Friday happens to be an "up" day, I don't get discouraged, because I know on Thursday I weighed less, and it's just water retention.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself most day, mostly because my Wii gives me a hard time if I don't. ;) I actually like tracking all the little ups and downs.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    If I don't log my food daily and weigh myself daily, I don't the the cause and effect relationship of what I am eating and exercising (or not).
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, I know that it's really subjective but I can usually tell why I'm way up or down. How often do you weigh yourself and why? I'm trying to figure out if I should change my schedule.

Once a month. Weighing everyday just frustrates me...there are too many variables that can make your weight fluctuate daily, hourly. Once a month, log it, and push the scale to the back of the closet.