Lowering sodium levels

Options
I realize that eliminating processed foods is the best way to lower sodium...but some days this is harder than others. So, this topic is about easy ways to lower sodium levels without having to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.

This week I bought unsalted pretzels and unsalted peanuts instead of my normal salty ones. They both taste really good and am glad I made the switch. They were both available at the normal grocery store as well. No need to go to a specialty shop.

Please share your tips with me.

Replies

• jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal!! I am a fanatic about oatmeal. No sodium, dirt cheap, and you can add Splenda/Fresh Fruit/Whipped Cream to mix it up without adding too many calories.
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I keep muy calories in check and have lost weight. I have lost 10 lbs + , and continue on the down ward trend. I have probably increased my sodium b/c I eat lean cusines and ww, and smart ones food daily. This help me with portion control and knowing what to eat during my hectic day. OK - so rry this os getting waaaay too long and not what you were looking for. I drink mega amounts of water - so my sodium intake has not been detrimental in the least!
    BTW - I have not eliminated ANY food. I make wiser choices and plan ahead.
  • gracefullyjenn
    Options
    avoid canned as much as possible, use fresh or frozen minus any added sauces. Also if a recipe calls for salt either lower the amount or dont ad at all.
  • dclarsh1
    dclarsh1 Posts: 83
    Options
    If you spend a little more time at the grocery store reading labels, it's pretty easy to make some simple swaps and cut out sodium. Every small step helps.

Look for canned goods with no salt added (you can usually find tomatoes, beans, corn and tuna like this), or use frozen vegetables instead of canned.

Look for reduced sodium cheese, Sargento's has a whole line of these.

Instead of buying light yogurt, make your own with non-fat plain greek yogurt, honey and fresh fruit.

Go with oatmeal or frosted mini wheats with a side of fruit for breakfast.

Skip the light salad dressing and go with a full fat olive oil vinegrette.

Think of salt as a clean up batter when cooking. When you put it in last, a little goes a long way.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    In addition to the above, I avoid canned soups, or at least go for the lower salt versions. I also started using sea salt instead of regular salt at home. It's a minor sodium reduction, but you have to admit, you have to use salt for some things!

Generally, as you eat healthier you'll find the sodium amounts lower. Fresh fruits and veggies have very little sodium. For example, you could switch your pretzels out for carrots or celery or an apple and you still get the crunch, minus salt and pointless refined carbs. :)

Another thing that really helps me is cooking ahead of time. I'll make extra and freeze it for later.
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Options
    Instead of low sodium soy sauce, use Braggs Liquid Aminos...WAY less sodium & tastes great!

http://bragg.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Look for no salt added items if using canned goods. Also, rinsing canned food can eliminate some of the salt.

I have recently cut out using deli sliced turkey, even the low-sodium variety. I decided I am worth the price of turkey breast cutlets and chicken breast. The cutlets are so thin they cook quicly on the grill and the chicken I pound thin - we grilled a bunch up and put in tupperware in the fridge so it is ready for me to grab quickly.

Interesting topic...sodium is everywhere. I was given a nice sodium content of foods layout from my dietician. I was surprised at some things....like did you know that cooked pudding has 150 mg of sodium for 1/2 C versus 420 in a 1/2C cooked? And that you can get low sodium baking powder? And many of the things I have thinking they are healthy choices really are not when she is asking me to keep my sodium at a certain level - not because of high blood pressure but simply because she sees people who keep their sodium level equal to the amount of caloric intake lose weight. It is very interesting.

http://www.lowsodiumcooking.com/free/IngredientSources.htm
  • medrewiske
    medrewiske Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've started added hot spices like cayenne pepper or siracha, or spicy salt free seasoning mixes like salt free cajun seasoning to food instead of adding salt. I"ve found that often times when I want to add salt its becasue I think the food doesn't have enough flavor. So to give it more flavor I've started making things spicy and then I don't feel like the food is bland.
  • medrewiske
    medrewiske Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Here's an article that was posted today about the health risks of processed meat due to high levels of sodium. It made me realize that most of the meat I eat is processed; lunch meat, and frozen fish, turkey burgers & chicken fillets from Sam's Club. Guess I should work on cutting that down.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE64G5TN20100517?type=domesticNews