snack ideas - ANSWERS THAT MAKE SENSE IN THE UK PLEASE!!!

Options
So I am really good at super low-cal snacks and high-cal snacks when I am exercising. However, aside from bananas which I eat like they are going out of fashion, what ideas have you got for 120 - 200 cal snacks in the afternoon?

Answers from anywhere please, but I am British in the UK, so if you are not, please don't use brand names because I probably won't know what you are on about!

Replies

• fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Hi

morrisons have their own brand chilli rice cake, i have them sometimes with extra light laughing cow cheese, or just a bit fage 0% greek yougurt and top with tomato or cucumber. (my diary is open if you would like to see the cals etc..)

also I love fage 0% yogurt mixed chocolate protein mix, then i toss in whatever fruit I have strawberries/raspberrys/blueberries/grapes and sometimes even mix in some walnuts pop it in the freezer for half an hour, its great.

good luck
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to reference everything on the tesco website so i know you have it... lol

string cheese (tesco calls it cheestrings?) and nuts

laughing cow or dairylea cheese spread triangles with crisp bread (Ryvita?) or Tesco has a multigrain cracker under their Everyday value brand, something like that

Pistachios

yoghurt smoothie with fruit and protein powder

pretzels/pretzel twists and veggies with hummus

apples with nut butter

I eat Larabars here but it looks like they aren't imported... a Jordan's Absolute Nut bar looks like it might be a good choice though. Can't see ingredients

Dark chocolate

Dark chocolate covered banana halves, frozen into pops/ice lollies

yoghurt cups with granola or cereal

Ok, that's most of what I can think of! Hope it helps :)
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Nut's are good for a higher cal snack. One of my fave low calories desserts is sugar free jelly with a Danone velvety chocolate pudding on top. It's like 120 cals and I add loads of jelly in so really feel like I have had a big portion of a sweet chocolatey dessert.
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I like the fruit crunch ryvita with a laughing cow cheese a dr kargs parmesan crispbread or if wanting something sweeter home made tea bread. If not so hungry 10 almonds you could add a kiwi or apple and still come in under 200
  • toni_may
    Options
    I like the fruit crunch ryvita with a laughing cow cheese a dr kargs parmesan crispbread or if wanting something sweeter home made tea bread. If not so hungry 10 almonds you could add a kiwi or apple and still come in under 200

Fruit crunch ryvita are my favourite snack! I usually have those with a sliver of 'I can't believe it's not butter light' or I also like krisprolls with some extra light philly :)
  • skiersteve12345
    skiersteve12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    snack a jacks BBQ sooooooooooooooooooo good!!!!
  • vara123
    vara123 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Celery and peanut butter - ants on a log!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Almonds. Good fats, a chunk of protein, keeps you satisfied and tasty along with it. The perfect snack, and anyone that disagrees is quite obviously completely insane.
  • laccy40
    laccy40 Posts: 136
    Options
    I love Graze - only in the UK. 4 new snacks in every box today I had a mixture of dates, bananas, raisins and yoghurt coated seeds, tomorrow I have mixed nuts. Num num num.
  • mforsis
    Options
    hummus and celery sticks. I fill the celery sticks with hummus.
  • sussexbythesea
    Options
    I like the fruit crunch ryvita with a laughing cow cheese a dr kargs parmesan crisbread or if wanting somethinf swweetery home made tea bread. If not so hungry 10 almonds you could add a kiwi or apple and still come in under 200
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Graze boxes as someone else has said -- pricey but fantastic. I often make popcorn in the microwave -- and then have it just with salt, or, rather inconveniently because you have to do it in a pan, Marmite.

Celery sticks with cream cheese.

Lumps of cheese or handfuls of nuts.
  • Pychcia
    Pychcia Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Graze boxes as someone else has said -- pricey but fantastic. I often make popcorn in the microwave -- and then have it just with salt, or, rather inconveniently because you have to do it in a pan, Marmite.

How do you make popcorn in microwave? do you need any special dish or any glass dish would do if it is cover with plate?
  • hyphenbobbit
    hyphenbobbit Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I love low fat natural yoghurt (55-60 cals per 100g) with a 10g sprinkling of sunflower seeds or 10g of some linwoods flaxseed (several different varieties available from Holland & Barratt)

Hope this helps:smile:
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options

How do you make popcorn in microwave? do you need any special dish or any glass dish would do if it is cover with plate?

you can buy microwave popcorn bags at most grocery stores, a bit more expensive than using an air popper, and try to find plain or just salted if you want really low calories, though the extra butter ones are tasty for sure.

I also like Wilson turkey pepperoni, or a bowl full of raspberries and blueberries and some sugar free frozen yogurt on top.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Nakd bars- they come in a variety of flavours, about 100-150 cals each

Mini cheese- I live the marmite obes, but baby bel minis, cheddar sticks, etc

Crab sticks

Wasabi peas

Make your own trail mix with nuts, seeds, dried fruits etc
  • sussexbythesea
    Options
    The microwave popcorn is crazy expensive imho
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Curds and whey
    Cucumber sandwiches
    Scones
    Marmite on things like cardboard

What do I win?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Oooh marmite on rice cakes! Yum!
  • DaveHuby
    DaveHuby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Nairn oatcake bites with the laughing cow blue cheese variety.