Geeky Gamer Girl Looking to Get Moving

Options
Hey all-
I'm new here and I'm looking to get up and get off the couch and get moving. As the Title implies I'm a gamer girl, and my doctor says that I have about 140lbs that I need to shed, eventually. My first big goal however Is 10lbs. I just want to get started and see if I can really do this and really commit to it. It's a huge lifestyle change for me.

I'm from Michigan and basically I'm looking for other people that are willing to help motivate and support me, perhaps talk about nerdy things like Dr. Who, and Table Top gaming. I also want to start on a plan to learn how to run. I know that's a long term goal but I've never been able to really run that I remember, and would love to actually learn how to run and have fun while doing it and not have it be a chore.

Send me a message, Friend request, or post here if you're willing to help me out.

Thanks,
-Alia

Replies

• looopyloops
    looopyloops Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Welcome to mfp, lots of games out there now a days to help you loose weight depending on your game system, I have wi fit that I play, not sure if you are into those kind of games as well, I got back into running last winter and its helped me loose weight, although its tough when you start running if you are a larger person, lt has certainly got easier as I lost weight, Good luck
  • Blobby02
    Options
    Hey well done on setting yourself those goals, I will send you a friend request now. I used to be a big fan of Doctor Who (not so much the present doctor) I enjoy gaming far too much and I am also trying to run :D
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    You would probably like the group Geek Squid. They have a lot of gamers there.
    I'm not a gamer, but Everyone is welcome to add me. I'm on daily.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

You joined MFP which is a great first step! Good luck on your journey and feel free to add me!
  • ajalcazar84
    ajalcazar84 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love to motivate people as I know I need it. Feel free to add me. Same goes for anyone who reads this!
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    im glad that you put your first goal as 10 - thats awesome, It can look daunting when you look at the full number, but just a bit at a time is a great way to do goals

feel free to add

<-- Im def a geek/nerd and had to lose about 100 total, have about 31ish left to go - 10 pound at a time goals worked for me
  • KaaylaAnnn
    Options
    Anyone feel free to add!
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    For exercise I would suggest to start walking. Walking...then jogging...eventually running. Cut out sugars and try to eat clean, by that I mean fruits, veggies, and lean proteins. Chicken! I love chicken...lol. This is my second time losing weight. The first time I lost 60 in 5 months, just by walking and eating well. Add me if u like !
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! Here are some links to some groups that might interest you:

MFP Gamers group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/19-mfp-gamers
    Comics N Things group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/2820-comics-n-things
    The Geek Squid group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3566-the-geek-squid

Feel free to add me!
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Uber nerd here. FR sent.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    EA sports Active (1 or 2) is out there and compatible with all gaming systems. I use the PS3 version myself and it really gets you moving. I think I have resculpted my upper body using it. I haven't lost any weight in the last couple weeks but everyone says that I have so I'm guessing I'm losing the fat in my upper body and gaining tons of muscle from it.

I also have a wii fit and want to get zumba but I don't have the floor space to do that much moving, I've tried the DVDs.
  • tammydevereux
    Options
    I'm not a gamer, but I have three boys who are! :) I do love to motivate, though and have lost 45 pounds since August being a part of a group. Feel free to add me! Same goes for all fitnesspals :)
  • AndrewXB9
    Options
    What a coincidence... I have studied games for 2 years and i am now on a 4 year Honours degree at University doing just that. If you need any support, feel free to contact me. Also goes for anyone else -If you need someone feel free to send me a friend request.
  • EvilPoser
    EvilPoser Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi! Gamer here and I'm fairly new too. I've been using my wii-fit to exercise most of the time. I'll probably get some more exercise games soonish. I don't watch Doctor Who but I love table-top games. My friends and I meet every other weekend to play D&D. We also play plenty of board games if we run out of D&D material for the day.

Here's another group I noticed wasn't suggested earlier.

Girl Gamers - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4851-girl-gamers

Feel free to add me. And that goes for everyone else as well!
  • brigliad1
    Options
    Your first step is what you have done already. You signed up, you can do this journey. I also just signed up and know that you and I can do this.:smile:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I am a board gamer. My kids are MTG/table top gamers and I go along to LARP events with them. Sometimes I swing a little foam.
    Feel free to add me.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Welcome fellow Michigander! When you say table top games here what are you talking about? You talking board games, card games, RPG games? It's important to know your geekness in order to advise you in the right direction. I'm a board game player and I'm not talking about monopoly I'm talking about real board games. If your as much of a geek as you claim then I've already said to much.

Joining here is a great first step. Start logging everything that goes into your mouth. Don't try to make to many changes all at once. Ease into it and make changes you can maintain long term.
  • styledsky
    styledsky Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Another tabletop gamer here? Awesome! Feel free to add me if you want some more geeky types trying to lose the "gamer physique". Like you I have a lot of weight to shift and I'm still pretty new on MFP.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Hey all-
    I'm new here and I'm looking to get up and get off the couch and get moving. As the Title implies I'm a gamer girl, and my doctor says that I have about 140lbs that I need to shed, eventually. My first big goal however Is 10lbs. I just want to get started and see if I can really do this and really commit to it. It's a huge lifestyle change for me.

I'm from Michigan and basically I'm looking for other people that are willing to help motivate and support me, perhaps talk about nerdy things like Dr. Who, and Table Top gaming. I also want to start on a plan to learn how to run. I know that's a long term goal but I've never been able to really run that I remember, and would love to actually learn how to run and have fun while doing it and not have it be a chore.

Send me a message, Friend request, or post here if you're willing to help me out.

Thanks,
    -Alia
    Is that gamer as in "wuld nah kest!" or gamer as in "what's your d20 to hit an AC3?"
  • FloraSin
    FloraSin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm wearing a shirt with Gallifreyan writing on it. Right now.

I learned to love running.

*drumroll* my biggest sadness is my tabletop friends moved away/had kids and don't have time to play anymore. (Roleplaying alone is as lame as it sounds. lol). I play online and console games in the time between visits.

If you hadn't said you were Michigan, I would have thought you were me.

Anyway, feel free to friend me.

I recommend Couch 2 5k for a good beginner program to get you into running. It actually tells you just to jog at first, which was a huuuge relief. It's also done in a really smooth progression that lets you adjust at each level before you carry on(you can also just repeat a day if you aren't sure you're ready for the next level). I actually bought the iPod app which lets you mix in your own playlists for motivation.

After a rough winter, I'm going through it again, to compete with my results from the first time through. If you like the idea of a fitness app, there's something called "Zombies! Run" or something that I have yet to try, but will be going for soon.