Weighing yourself every day?

Options

Replies

• hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday first thing. I only record when I get a new low. That might be three days in a row and then a skip for a day or too. I know where I am keeping my calories so I know it will constantly trend down.

This is what I do! I thought I was the only person who only recorded when they lost. I weigh every day but only record new lows. This helps with my mindset as far as the number points on the MFP graph.. whether it's 2 days in a row or a week between, I ONLY log when I get a new low number. It's been very motivational thus far.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Barely ever! Maybe once every 3 months.

I use the mirror, how my clothes fit and take measurements. IMO, these are much better ways to determine progress.
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday first thing. I only record when I get a new low. That might be three days in a row and then a skip for a day or too. I know where I am keeping my calories so I know it will constantly trend down.

This is what I do! I thought I was the only person who only recorded when they lost. I weigh every day but only record new lows. This helps with my mindset as far as the number points on the MFP graph.. whether it's 2 days in a row or a week between, I ONLY log when I get a new low number. It's been very motivational thus far.

Me and my husband do this as well - it has worked really well for both of us - he is only 1kg away from his goal which was losing 17kg! I am 5lb from mine (I don't do kilos :) ) Logging a new loss motivates us, and knowing why each day has ups and downs is very useful in knowing how our bodies are adjusting to the new way of life
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    There is literally no benefit to weighing yourself everyday. Thats obsessive, can lead to giving up easily. Our bodies don't work that quickly and our weight fluctuates throughout the week based on your personal bowel movements, fibre intake and water weight/bloating. Once a week, in the morning, on an empty stomach, ideally after a bowel movement.

Amen to this!
  • brendadale1
    brendadale1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Scales can be very discouraging to me..because my lbs show up as inches..for a long time..sooo even though Im losing it may not show on scales..I havent weighed since Dec..lol
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    i have a free day on the weekend, but don't go crazy. i'm usually 50-200 cals over on that day so i do not weigh on the weekends. i weigh myself every day though just to see the fluctuations and i don't let it discourage me. it kinda keeps me in line.
    but surprisingly i always seem to lose a pound after my weekend free day(s) and that's always monday morning.

i was getting obsessive for a bit, but i'm in such a routine now that it's not obsessive anymore. it's just my morning routine.
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    once / week.

i used to do daily but i was goin out of my mind, my weight fluctated up to 4kgs, you know what 4kgs is? a month of hard work haha

so now i do it once / week -of i remember, i do take my measurments weekly thoo
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week and try not to step on the scale any other time!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,362 Member
    Options
    I find weighing daily helps me with binges and gains. If I ate right and still gained I am not upset because I know it was not me but thankfully for me when I eat right the scale reflects it with no movement of a lose. When I eat wrong items or go way over in calories it is seen immediately on the scale and I need to see that so it will be 2 to 3 pound weight gain vs. 5-10 pounds if I waited to weigh in weekly and had a binging episode.

If I know I am going to make myself weigh in, sometimes it helps me talk myself out of a binge. Not full proof but I do better weighing daily so I am going to stick to it. Most weeks I skip a day or 2 but my policy is never to go 2 days without weighing in.

So this past Sunday I did not weigh in because I had had a high sodium day Saturday, but today I weighed in and was good.

In my opionion it is only obsessive it getting on the scale daily determines how you feel about your journey to lose weight and if you beat yourself up because not what you expected, get on the scale more than once a day, etc. As long as you can take it no reason not to weigh daily. There are studies out that show weighing have helped many to keep their weight off.

We all have to find what works best for us. Weighing daily does not work for everyone for sure.
  • jrmartinezb
    jrmartinezb Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, not to see progress from day to day, but because I want a record of my weight and fluctuations. I plan on using this information to figure out a more accurate calorie requirement for myself.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day but log in any weight loss on monday or tuesday morning.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this for a long time and I finally decided to weigh myself every morning, but to only log it once a week on the same day every week (Tuesday). I do this because it does help me understand fluctuations in my weight. For example, if I ate out the night before but stayed within calories, I can know that the weight I'm holding on to is water weight and I can watch it disappear over the next couple of days and be reassured that it was water weight-- same thing to holding on to waste.

Best of luck with whatever you choose!
  • hobbitgrrl
    hobbitgrrl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Friday. It's not good to become so obsessed with the number. If I were to weigh in every day, I think I would drive myself crazy. Once a week(at the same time) is good enough for me :)

^^ This. :)
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have not been on the scale in over 10 weeks and have decided I may never get on it again. I am relying on the mirror, my clothes, body fat percentage and measurements.

I don't care what I weigh as long as I look the way I want.

A
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have an "official" weigh-in day. I was becoming scale obssessed, and it was effing with my mind. I might still hop and here and there, but I only "count", for purposes of see if I've gained ro lost, my Friday morning weigh-in.

This is so totally me, right down to the official weigh in day!
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I sometimes weigh myself every day, or when I'm thinking about it.
    But I hardly ever take it to heart.
    My 'official' weigh ins are on Thursdays :3
    Those are the numbers I truly go by
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Even though it makes me more impatient, I do weight myself every morning. I chart it in a Note inside my iPhone. The reason for this is, when I get to my goal weight, I want to look back on my hard work as well as the ups and downs. That being said, I have an "official" weigh in day (Fridays) that I use to gauge my weekly progress. I feel lost somehow if I don't weigh-in daily.

this makes a lot of sense! i don't currently weigh everyday, but i can kinda see the point of it when you put it this way.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Twice a day here. It keeps me on track.
  • x_ItNeverEnds_x
    Options
    I aim for once a week but its more like every other day. I only record it once a week.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    As long as you understand that weight fluctuates daily, and aren't the type of person that will get all scale obsessed, then go ahead. Do what works best for -you-.

Personally, I weigh in once a week.