What are you giving up for LENT?

Options

Replies

• traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Me and my family are giving up chocolate this is the 4th year we have done this and the girls always beat the boys, not sure this year though as I've had chocolate every day for the last 3 months, think I need to invest in some headache pills when the withdrawals hit
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Nothing.. i'm eating a regular diet and doing everything i've done before..
  • GCPgirl
    GCPgirl Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Love the idea of saying something nice! Very cool.

Still debating peanut butter, cheese or I might attempt snacking and stick to eating 3 times a day in Lent.

Adding morning prayer/intentions each morning.:love:

I like the idea of a morning prayer...I will add that to not eating meat on Ash Wednesday & Fridays and no sodas or snapples.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Chocolate.
    And my 'secret sister' just gave me a gift basket full chocolate yesterday for Valentines day... what to do? Part of me wants to eat it all up before Wednesday, but I know I shouldn't.

that's what fat tuesday is for!!
  • nataliedrake3
    nataliedrake3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I will be giving up the elevator at school. I really need to be able to walk up stairs without getting winded and the younger students looking at me like i'm gross lol
  • laura7561
    Options
    red wine :sad: crisps,chocolate,sweets,gave up sweets and crisps last yr and lost 6lb :smile: but i went back to the bad habit of eating them again and the lb's came back :tongue: hoping to loose more this yr, goodluck to you all
  • LGinSoCal
    LGinSoCal Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get a good goal! I have always loved Lent to set goals and get positively focused. One year I gave up coffee which was terrible :tongue: but otherwise it has always been a great way to follow through on a goal. Help me come up with ideas, just dont take away my wine or coffee!!

What are you giving up for Lent this year?

Not food but sleep. I decided to wake up and pray the LOTH at 5am. The idea is to combat the sloth in me and do that "praying without ceasing" thing.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    LOL......love it!
    Are people giving up things for Lent because of religious beliefs or just giving things up because it seems to be the thing to do? Just curious.

I am not Catholic, but I will usually give something up for Lent.
    I think sacrifice does the body and mind good, and also allows a chance to re-focus on what is really important. (I am fairly religious - but I still think others could similarly observe for their own personal reasons...)

I'm not Catholic either. I was raised Baptist, and I attend a Baptist church. Even though I don't know of anything in scripture that mandates the idea behind Lent, I think the idea behind it is a good one. For Christians, the Easter season is a time to think about the sacrifice that was made for us, so it stands to reason that we should be thinking about sacrifices that we can make in our own lives for the benefit of others, for the benefit of God's glory, to improve the quality of our own lives so that we have more energy to give of ourselves, or all of the above.

I am Catholic. It's pretty common for people of other faiths to get ashes on Ash Wednesday and "celebrate" Lent. It's neat seeing different people there. I'm not sure how many non-Catholics attend, but I speak to a few here and there. They seem quite pleased to talk about being there for the ashes, lol. The idea behind the 40 days of Lent is to remember and in some small way "live" the 40 days Jesus spent in the desert.

I am Catholic and teach religion in a Catholic school. We just spent time today discussing what the word "Lent" actually means. Technically, it is an Anglo Saxon word that is a derivative of the word "Lengthen", which is meant to represent the coming spring and the lengthening of the daylight hours. Technically, the word has NO religious affiliation attached to it at all. Catholics use it as a way to gauge the 40 days between the first full moon of the new year, and Easter Sunday. The number 40 has great significance in our bible.

What I tried to get my students to do is attach religious meaning to it as it pertains to Jesus Christ's suffering and death on the cross. So, we added the definition: "Jesus LENT himself to sacrifice in order to save us from our sins." I'm not sure if the Catholic church would have a problem with this or not, but it was a great discussion about the juxtaposition between the birth of spring and the death of Jesus.
  • thintor
    Options
    changing mine.. i'm giving up hot chocolate but i'm also giving up getting on the scale about a million times a day. i told my parents to hide it from me and i'll weigh myself again at easter!
  • Berlygirl10
    Options
    Lent....yup giving up Lent..

I am on the same page.. I think I have already given up enough..no diet coke, no eating endless calories no laying around and not working out :)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Social media. I did this last year, and it really helped me get closer to God. I use it to fill my time, so giving it up meant that I was faced with stillness and silence. Perfect time to pray or read scripture!
  • chimpy_chimp
    chimpy_chimp Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am giving up sugar, especially bread products containing sugar. I pray I do a good job!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Junk food
  • lyndabyh
    lyndabyh Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Ice Cream.
  • DangerousDoug42
    DangerousDoug42 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke and Facebook
  • ksemien
    ksemien Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    So far I am definitely set on giving up alcohol. I am also toying w/ a few other things.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    cauliflower pizza crust
  • TeaFairy23
    TeaFairy23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I say the same things every year but I mean it! Stress and unhappiness. It's not easy but try and be happier every day no matter what.
    Kym
    -Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
  • marqcutie80
    marqcutie80 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up alcohol & soda, although I don't drink much of either on a regular basis. I'm also giving up fast food, and making a commitment to work out at least 6 days a week.