For Canadians: May 2-4 USA Grocery List

Options
heathersmilez
heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
I have actually never done the ‘pop into the US for a day thing’ before however, my US grocery list is piling up and with the Victoria Day long weekend fast approaching, what better time than the present!

Groceries have NO DUTY btw when returning so you can go over for lunch and grocery shop and not be penalized.

Basically, the purpose of this topic is to build up my grocery list of US only items and to share the list I already have with everyone

Here is my list so far of items we don’t have in Canada (healthy of course!)

1. Bisquick Heart Smart
2. Fiber Plus Antioxidant bars (only 1 WW point due to less calories and 9g of fiber while the non-antioxidant Fiber Plus bars here are 3 WW points)
3. Fiber One Original Cereal (the version here is 90 calories in the US it’s 60)
4. ALL of the Fiber One collection from shakes to pop tarts to bread, mmmm
5. Juji Fruit –mmmm, ok this one is not healthy but still a necessity ;)
6. Baked Lays – Sour Cream and Onion. Thank goodness the other flavours finally made it here!
7. Baked Cheetos. They come in 100 calorie packs here but the USA has big bags
8. Carnation Instant Breakfast – Sugar Free
9. Arnold Bread – 40 calories per slice
10. Weight Watchers food – we have the cakes and bread here but that’s it. No muffins or all the other fun stuff.

Replies

• mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    I've heard the chocolate cheerios are great for those chocolate cravings. But we don't have those here yet either. My brother is going to bring some up for me. Not too sure on the exact calorie count. But I'm pretty sure its probably equal to the honey nut kind.
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    I totally forgot about those! Yes, a definite buy healthy or otherwise ;)
  • TracyV
    TracyV Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    great idea! i don't have anything to add to the list so just posting so i can find it later. i don't ever go across just for the day but we go for a weekend once in a while so will have to remember to pick up a few of these things next time!
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    The stuff I want to eat from Canada, but are definitely NOT healthy:

* Coffee Crisps
    * Old Dutch potato chips, Ketchup flavor, Dill Pickle flavor, and especially All Dressed!
    * Smarties
    * Kinder eggs

I buy these things whenever I make a trip up North as gifts for my kids and coworkers. But the Coffee Crisps and All Dressed chips are so hard to keep out of my mouth!
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    The stuff I want to eat from Canada, but are definitely NOT healthy:

* Coffee Crisps
    * Old Dutch potato chips, Ketchup flavor, Dill Pickle flavor, and especially All Dressed!
    * Smarties
    * Kinder eggs

I buy these things whenever I make a trip up North as gifts for my kids and coworkers. But the Coffee Crisps and All Dressed chips are so hard to keep out of my mouth!

I'm so glad its not just myself feeling deprived of awsome goodies. Old Dutch chips are on sale for $2 a bag in Loblaws now. I just went there on my lunch hour, lol!
  • thendrick
    thendrick Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've been looking for Brommel and Brown spread - I'm assuming it's only in the US b/c I haven't found any around here.
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    To add:

Oscar Meyer Fat Free hot dogs (37 cals each)
    35 cal Light Potato bread
    Castleberry's Hot Dog Chili Sauce (10 cals per tbsp)
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    To add:

Oscar Meyer Fat Free hot dogs (37 cals each)
    35 cal Light Potato bread
    Castleberry's Hot Dog Chili Sauce (10 cals per tbsp)

Wow I will have to pick some of those hot dogs up next time I go down, I had no idea!
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    I personally like the lean cuisine turkey dinners from the US, I have yet to find them here in Canada!
  • ChrystalF
    ChrystalF Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Love this list, I am heading down there tomorrow.
    The only thing I can add is laughing cow cheese is way cheaper down there, I always stock up at Costco during my visits.
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    Love this list, I am heading down there tomorrow.
    The only thing I can add is laughing cow cheese is way cheaper down there, I always stock up at Costco during my visits.

Canadian Costo memberships can be used in the US? Neat! Guess I never read the fine print! lol
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    I'm bumping my own post since my sister has now moved to Hamilton, perfect excuse to go for a visit then pop across the border!

The Chocolate Cheerios were no biggie but I now want to add cheesecake sugar-free Jello to my list (someone posted a recipe that involved this) and those new Jello Moose cups that are only 60 calories.

If anyone else has more to add to the list, please let me know!

*** PS: the calculation of fiber content between the USA and Canada is different (as regulated by the government) I confirmed with General Mills b/c I did not understand why Fiber One cereal was 90 cals here 60 in the USA. Since it is only a calculation the actual fiber content is somewhere in between the 2, just an FYI. If the cereal is cheaper in the US then I’ll get it but otherwise no need to cross-border shop just for this.

How could I have forgotten Cherry Coke Zero in my list?????????????? LOVE that stuff!! I HATE how cherry coke never made it to Canada. Just tasting it reminds me of being on vacation, lol!
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    If you want to stop for lunch at a Subway in the USA, their chicken-breast sub is part of the $5 foot long deal. That sub is on the premium menu here, I believe its $8.99. Yuck! Its slightly higher in calories then Turkey or Ham but much better on sodium plus its much more filling, a 6-inch would actually fill me up.

Subway USA however does not have BBQ sauce! My husband could live off of veggie subs and BBQ sauce (actually I believe he did when he was 17, lol!) even when we were in South Carolina, nothing! Isn’t BBQ required in order to live in the south? :)