Had to put my dog to sleep today

Options

Replies

• marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling and I feel for you. I have been married to the same woman for 33+ years. We just recently had to let go of our 14 year old dog. Before that, our 12 year old Dalmatian, before that our 13 year old mutt. Each was difficult and there was some overlap with each dog..we always seemed to have two. We now are on our 4th dog and love her tons.

But still, we miss each furry buddy and they become family members. it is never easy, but it does get better over time. We are still smarting over our recent loss, but at least now we can say her name and not break down.

Good to vent and blessings to you and your home.

Well said!
  • goldied01
    goldied01 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It is so difficult to lose a pet. They are family. I still miss my cat and she died so long ago. They love us so unconditionally and it is hard to let go. Keep his memory in your heart and he will live forever.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    big time bummer. been there. many tears. good luck
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry....pets are family and losing one is incredibly difficult

this
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Dec 13th, 2012 to be exact. Not sure how old my baby was (got thru Airedale Rescue, found in the streets, neutered w/collar). I would have had him 10 years the end of the month. Vet said cancer as well.

Not my first but believe me, the pain is no different. It's a hard decision and never easy. I keep my boys collar in my nightstand for now. My girls (another Aire from rescue and an ex racing greyhound) keep me company now.

There is nothing worse than coming home to an empty house. No one can replace him but hopefully you'll realize you have enough love to share with another pup down the road.

I'll look for his star tonite in the skies.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I understand. You made a difficult choice but it was the right one. After my dog was euthanized I cried off and on for days. I'd think that she was in the next room because I'd see a movement from the corner of my eye. Or I'd hear a sound upstairs and think she was searching for my slippers....Something she did whenever I sat down to knit. The hurt gets better with time but that is little consolation to you now. Pets can become family members and be emotionally close to us. I never understood that before I had my lab, Brandy. Allow yourself to be comforted by your family and friends.
  • Stella_Leigh
    Stella_Leigh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you lost your beloved family member. As difficult as it was, know you did the right thing, he's not suffering anymore and he'll be waiting for you with sloppy bulldog kisses and a happy tail when your time comes :heart:
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful bulldog. :( I just lost my kitty of 15 years on December 29th. She passed away while I was at my mother's wake. She got sick just after my mom died and there was nothing I could do but keep her comfortable until it was time. She actually let go when it was best for her, but coming home to find her was harder than even when I had to euthanize her daughter a year before. It hurts so much, but I do believe, I really do, that they are waiting for us.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    My heart just breaks for you, I don't know what I'll do when I lose my girl ((hugs))
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm very sorry for your loss. I just went through the same painful experience with my 13 year old pug. It was also cancer, and very fast-moving. It's so hard to say goodbye to our faithful animal companions. :-(
  • jneill69
    Options
    I don't know you, but I unfortunately know your pain.

Very sorry for your lose.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. Six years ago I had to do the same thing with my then 12 year old Golden Retriever--the fact that she got sick very quickly and didn't suffer long, made me feel slightly better. But no matter what, it's never an easy decision.

I had to put my 16 year old cat to sleep a week ago. It's really hard...but most of my friends and family are also animal lovers and understand that for me losing a pet is like losing a family member. So I've had a lot of support and love from them...

Hugs.
  • OutsideCreativ
    OutsideCreativ Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Im sorry for your loss. Sometimes the kindest, gentlest thing we can do for our pets is put an end to their suffering. Know that he will be waiting for you, when you get where you're going. The pain of loss will subside, but the pawprints on your heart will never fade away.

"Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... "

Author unknown...
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    So sorry for your loss! That's hard. Had to do that last year with one of my boxers. :( Hugs!
  • deanjou59
    deanjou59 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    ((Big Big Hugs)) I am so sorry to hear this. This is such a difficult thing to do- it truly is. It leaves you feeling so unsettled :( My husband and I decided to put down our 13 year old lab in June of this past year- he is sorely, sorely missed. Find comfort in all the memories you shared with your companion and know that you did a selfless act in order to spare your dog any further suffering.
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. I had to put my dog to sleep several years ago. It is very hard to do. :(
  • sabimausl85
    sabimausl85 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh,
    i m so sorry.
    i have 2 little babys. they are my life, my kids, my everything! i couldnt imagine being without them.
  • priyashah
    Options
    oh my gosh- I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you.
  • zilea
    zilea Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    That is just the hardest. I am so sorry. Anyone who doubts the importance and value of animals has never had a pet. Thoughts with you.
  • joyhardwick1
    Options
    Losing a beloved pet is never easy. Take it easy and know it is okay to grieve. My very sincere condolences.