low carb vs low fat vs low calorie?! HELP!

Options
Now Ive been reading, seems like tons, but thats just media and science talk. I wanted to ask anyone which you're on, low carb or low fat or just plain low calorie diet? Whats been working for you?

I myself am working toward a goal of losing 100lbs, and been trying to get better nutrition facts. Low carb was said to help ppl who ARE chunky, also those who have been chunky all their lives... Which would be me.

True,not true? ...Ive no idea whats best for me. I drink lots of water and juice and work out 30mins-1hr 6x a week. Is low carb really that healthy with me working out so much?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    A low carb diet can also be described as a higher protein diet and protein is very satiating. Removing sugar and highly refined carbs seems to keep peoples sweet tooth in check and the desire to binge on these types of carbs basically is halted. If a person dosn't go too low in carbs and too low in calories in can be a good strategy for long term weight loss if you would classify yourself as a carbaholic. imo
  • bellacharlie
    Options
    I am a carboholic. I started MFP about Jan 1st this year and had a difficult time keeping my calories under the goal. When I heard about low carbs being the way to go on one of Dr. Oz's shows I gave it a try, but was simply unable to keep it under 50 gms a day. I was so very tired on 50 gms a day I decided to step it up. Now my goal is closer to 125 gms per day and this automatically helps my sugar cravings that I used to have and I am not weak and tired any longer. I don't concentrate on the fats as much as the carbs. I have been chunky most of my life and my cravings for sweets was out of control. My low carb choices have all but cured those sugar cravings. I am trying to lose about 1 lb. per week and so far I have maintained that. I want to lose 60 lbs and I am 7 lbs down now.
    Bellacharlie (Sue)
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'd start with removing all processed foods. If you can't do that, you won't be able to do any of these diets long term- and long term is the goal
  • areumdawn
    areumdawn Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Low calorie all the way.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Low fat is stupid. Leads to all sort of hormonal problems.
    Low carb if it suits you.

Low calorie? No, absolutely not. LowER calories - as in just a bit below your TDEE (not BMR) - yes.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options

Low calorie? No, absolutely not. LowER calories - as in just a bit below your TDEE (not BMR) - yes.

This. Nothing ought to be off limits, in reasonable amounts and at chosen times. For me....the moment I say I will never have something, it becomes all I want. But I can choose not to have it today.
    Also...keep in mind that juices are quite high in calories, you may want to not have those so often. ( hard ...I love juice too)
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Lower calorie, sure, I eat 1530-1700 instead of 2100+. Low fat, no thanks. I eat real food, not chemically enhanced nastiness. Low carb, depends on what I feel like eating that day.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options

i have to disagree i eat very low fat and it works just fine for me
  • Kitamarie97
    Options
    I am currently on a prescribed 1200 calorie diet. Nothing is excluded. I eat what I want, but keep in mind on a 1200 cal diet I am forced to eat better period! Little to no processed/prepackaged food, I had fast food once in a month (and I made the healthiest choice possible) I personally don't believe in cutting out foods, because once you eat them again the weight comes back! I suggest an actual lifestyle change to get you where you want to be and to maintain it. Good luck in your weight loss Journey!
  • citygirlkate
    Options
    I'm no expert but what's been working for me is:

-Significant reduction in processed food
    -Significant reduction in sodium
    -Significant reduction in added sugar
    -Avoidance of "diet" foods
    -Healthy fats in moderation (you need fat!)
    -Complex, naturally occurring carbs in moderation (and earlier in the day)
    -High protein (40,30,30-P,F,C)
    -Low calorie (doesn't have to be crazy low, work with what you feel comfortable with and work with your BMR)

Not only am I losing weight but I feel seriously healthier, clearer, happier, more awake and more alive. And I do not go hungry.

Friend me if you want:)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

i have to disagree i eat very low fat and it works just fine for me
    All fine and good until your hair starts falling out.....keep us posted.
  • bev40ish
    Options
    "Moderate calories" for the first 60 lbs.: 1600 calories/day, and then lower calorie for the last 15 lbs: 1300 calories/day. Now, I'm maintaining on 1700-1800 calories/day. I'm female, 43; 5'4", 138 lbs. Regarding calories, I think that calories DO count.

On the subject of low-carb diets, they work for some people, but not for me. I actually did try to limit my carbs to 34% recently (that was as low as I could tolerate), because I had read Gary Taube's book, "Why We Get Fat" (and the first 100 pages of Good Calories, Bad Calories), and my stomach growled the whole day, even though I ate the same number of calories as I usually do. I feel the best on 40-45% carbs. There are many cultures that eat high carbohydrates diets and are not overweight or obese. What they have in common is that they eat "real food" and avoid all the processed crap we have available.

Regarding low-fat, I was on a low-fat diet for several years, and my HDL (good cholesterol) went down to 39 (which is low), and when I added fat back into my diet, it went up to over 50.

I didn't make any major adjustments to the content of my diet in the first year or so, but in the past 5 years, my diet has gradually gone from eating a lot of pre-packaged processed foods (a lot of sugar!), to eating mostly fruits, vegetables, fish, chicken breast, lean beef, eggs, dairy, nuts, beans, and vegetable oils. Even though my diet is not low-carb, I do limit portions of bread, pasta, rice, and other grains to no more than a few servings/day.
  • AnguishLanguish
    AnguishLanguish Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    High fat, moderate protein and low carbohydrates with a moderate calorie intake works very well for me. Using this model I have cut out most processed foods and am starting to really understand the different 'values' of foods (what makes me feel satiated, what spikes my BSL, what makes me bloated....).

I spent my whole life trying to eat low fat and am now understanding that for me, that just wasn't working; it made me irritable, hungry and I would inevitably binge. I haven't felt the urge to binge since starting high fat, moderate protein and low carb and am hitting or falling below my calorie limit without a starving feeling.

Do what works for you!

Best of luck :)
  • akibma
    akibma Posts: 1
    Options
    Its just been over a week that I have started with the diet and exercise, i have strted witht eh low- carb diet & it seems to be helping me a lot ! I have already lost 4lbs in 2 weeks.. so i guess this works for me. I exercise atleast for 30 - 60 mins a day & try to burn atleast 500 cals, if you stick to that you will see the changes in you :)