Why do some people lose weight faster, and others slower?

Options
Anyone know the answer? I am losing weight VERY slowly... :\ I'm totally bummed by it, and see others shedding their access weight.

Replies

• cindypalm1
    Options
    I don't know the answer to that but wish I did. This is my second time at losing weight the first time I lost real slow to begin with and then it just started falling off real easy I am hoping for the same results this time only to keep it off instead of gain it back. Hang in there!:smile:
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Things like BMR can be up to 30% different for people with exactly the same stats. I imagine some of that has to do with genetics. Some people fidget a lot and burn extra calories by doing that (I think it's like 100/day). Some people might underestimate their calories while other overestimate their calories. Even in scientific studies where people are eating the exact same amount (as measured by someone else) and are of similar stats, there can be pretty big differences in weight loss.

Other than that, I don't know. I read something about different body styles: mesomorph, endomorph, and ectomorphs who lose and gain weight differently, it was far from a scientific study but it was an interesting thought. (Google it, it is interesting)

Edit to add: since there can be such differences in BMR, It wouldn't really hurt to cut a hundred or so calories a day and see what happens. If after a week things are the same, you could bump it back up. (Just a thought). Also some people work out more or walk faster (thus exerting themselves more).
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    some people are satan's crafty little minions and others are not.

seriously though there are many factors, age, lean body mass, genes, gender, health issues, etc
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I think it may have to do with metabolism, body composition, and exercise levels maybe?
  • MariaHammer750
    MariaHammer750 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Anyone know the answer? I am losing weight VERY slowly... :\ I'm totally bummed by it, and see others shedding their access weight.

the more weight you have to lose, the quicker it comes off. If you don't have a lot to lose, it will come off slower than an obese person. Also the more muscle mass you have the faster you burn calories and lose weight which explains why men and other very fit people lose it quicker.
  • mece813
    mece813 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I'm eating the exact same thing as my weight loss partner and in 2 weeks they have lost 4 lbs and I've only lost 1! I even did zumba during the week thinking that would help me shed quicker, no such luck. I'm going to keep going though. Even though the scale isn't showing it, my arms feel smaller in my t-shirts and my pants are slightly more comfortable than they were 2 weeks ago.

So maybe you'll shed inches first and then pounds. At least that's what I am going to continue to tell myself on this weight loss journey :).
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I truly believe some of it has to do with hormones as well. I have lost weight in the past but never as quickly as this time. I think my last baby acted as a hormone reset for me. It didn't give me the weight loss, I still had to kick my own *kitten* to get there but things happened faster.

I also believe you have to be on a plan that works for you. I do a balanced blood sugar type diet but other people see more success with energy bars and workouts.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

How do you or they know it's excess weight? meaning fat I suppose?

For far too many who have no idea, they are actually losing a decent amount of muscle mass because of their deficit amount and their choice of workout.
    I can give you a diet and workout routine to encourage muscle burning and you can lose weight fast too.

And they will regret it later. Shoot, ask on the forums how many regretted it sooner because they plateaued for 6-9 months. Their speedy weight loss isn't so speedy when you add 6-9 months of no loss.

Shoot - ask how many are doing this 2, 3 , 4 or more times in their life, regretting it each time.

And they readily comment "well, I know it works for me because the last 2 times that's how I lost my weight fast...".

Uh huh.

So while slower is better because you purposely picked a deficit amount that is reasonable, that doesn't mean you may not have just shoved your metabolism down into the dumps and are getting little deficit because you body has balanced lower.
  • hthrhrpr
    hthrhrpr Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I don't think I'm eating too few calories, because I wasn't eating all of my calories, and wasn't losing anything. Started eating ALL of my calories, and the weight started to move. It took a couple of months for me to get the courage to eat more to lose more, but it worked. But, it's still very slow, lol.... I suppose its better than the direction I was going in before.