Spinning

Options
Hey guys,

we have spinning bike in our gym but no classes, this morning i tried one, OMG!!! how difficult was that! WOW. and how sore was my BUT!T!!!

Whats your take on spinning? Good workout? Trying to trim down my hefty calves

Replies

• adambatley1
    Options
    I've tried spinning class, was a great workout but yes my *kitten* was hurting!!! haha
  • jeets888
    jeets888 Posts: 2,237 Member
    Options
    Addicted to spinning - do at least 2-3 classes during the week and a double 45 minute session on Saturdays. Its a pity you dont have classes in your gym as it definitely adds another spin to the workout vs doing it yourself - the music and energy of a spinning class is what i love.

If you are going to continue with the spinning - be sure too include hill workouts (high resistance), speed workouts and speed workouts on hills.

Depending on the position you use during spinning, you will find that as much as it tones and builds the legs, also great for the core :)
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    Buy some padded shorts from a cycling store

After a while it stops hurting
  • Katey_Gabbitas
    Katey_Gabbitas Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I do spinning with a trainer 2 times a week and a class on a Friday, ever other Friday its a heated spinning class. I always feel like iv worked really hard!! I've been doing it for about 5 weeks now, the pain in the bum does leave eventually :)
  • jeets888
    Options
    Agree with susan - after a while it stops hurting.

When i started about a year and a half ago - bought the padded seat but dont use that anymore .... end up standing during most of the class anyways and when we are spinning in the seated position, normally wish was standing as we've got gravity on our side :)
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I tell it burns my thighs like a hell fire but a good burn, that real "OMG how unfit did i get" burn! hahahah
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Love spin class, although sometimes i hate the instructor LOL, as someone said mix it up with seated & standing hill climbs and tabata style sprints (20 sec sprint 10 sec recovery)
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    Do you guys think that spinning is better than the normal stationery bikes, sure feels like a harder workout?
  • jeets888
    Options
    I tell it burns my thighs like a hell fire but a good burn, that real "OMG how unfit did i get" burn! hahahah

I always feel like i was f%\ked by a train after a class but that just depends on how hard you push and the resistance you use. As one of our better intsructors say: "If you not using the red button - its pointless being in the class .... dont lie to yourself"

Its one of the better cardios you can give yourself ..
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    I am so new to this, what is the red button? i was one for about 10 min this morning, will try for fifteen on Thurs, I cardio 2 x a week
  • jeets888
    Options
    Do you guys think that spinning is better than the normal stationery bikes, sure feels like a harder workout?

What makes a spinning bike better (for me) than other "normal" stationary bikes is that you can change positions and work out different parts of your body.

It would be great if you could attend a class or if someone could show you all that could be done with it ... then you will decide for yourself
  • jeets888
    Options
    I am so new to this, what is the red button? i was one for about 10 min this morning, will try for fifteen on Thurs, I cardio 2 x a week

Not sure about the bikes in the US or other parts of the world but our resistance button or knob is red in SA .... maybe button is the wrong word but im referring to the resistance .... always remember if you hear a fly wheel (a destinctive sound the front wheel makes when there is lil or no resistance), then you need to up your resistance.
  • ClairBears84
    Options

Not sure about the bikes in the US or other parts of the world but our resistance button or knob is red in SA .... maybe button is the wrong word but im referring to the resistance .... always remember if you hear a fly wheel (a destinctive sound the front wheel makes when there is lil or no resistance), then you need to up your resistance.
    You are a star thanks, ok I have grey one,the only thing red on our bikes is the emergency stop! :) i turned it up for parts, I just dont know how long I should do what.. I will try find a program, Thank you again!
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    Turned the grey dial not the red stop one!
  • siobhsies
    siobhsies Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have done spin classes in the past and I think they are great! I just joined a new gym and the spin bikes are called 'Real Ryders' because they tilt left to right so it is an added core workout. Plus the spinning room is lit only with UV light. Along with the dance music, I feel like I am at a rave! I have only done two of these so my *kitten* is still sore. I know that will subside eventually!
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    I have done spin classes in the past and I think they are great! I just joined a new gym and the spin bikes are called 'Real Ryders' because they tilt left to right so it is an added core workout. Plus the spinning room is lit only with UV light. Along with the dance music, I feel like I am at a rave! I have only done two of these so my *kitten* is still sore. I know that will subside eventually!
    This sounds freakin brilliant!
  • jeets888
    Options

You are a star thanks, ok I have grey one,the only thing red on our bikes is the emergency stop! :) i turned it up for parts, I just dont know how long I should do what.. I will try find a program, Thank you again!

Only but a pleasure .... our emergency stop is also our resistance dial (Dial: thats a word i was looking for previously)

Hoping you can find something online ... else feel free to drop me a message if i can be of any help.
  • andycet
    andycet Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Love it and good for your back, lower impact than running. You need a good teacher/routine to get the most out of it, works best went you vary it like interval training.
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    Loving the Input! Thank you!
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    Thank you :flowerforyou: