breackfast problems... tips?

Options
I'm on a 1200 Cal daily diet, and I find difficult to organize my breackfast...

If I stick to tea and some melba toast (italian, 5 slice 150 Cal) I have plenty of Cal to enjoy lunch and dinner.
Otherwise, if I have milk and bisquits or even bread, my breackfast calories raise up to 400-500 Cal unless I stay on such low quantities that it is as I didn't eat at all, and it became difficult to find something worth to eat the rest of the day...

What do you have for breackfast?

Thanks!

Isabella

Replies

• donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    2 weetabix, 150ml full fat milk and a teaspoon of sugar ...... 251 cals
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    eggs....70 cals each
    light string cheese... 50 cals each
    oatmeal... 150 cals per serving
    lean luncheon meats...50-60 cals per serving
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have a hard boiled egg, or a 90 cal breakfast bar of some kind, or a light yogurt, a bagel thin and some light cream cheese ( bagel thins are 100-110cal depending on the type and 1Tbsp of light cream cheese 30cal). I tend to eat breakfast on the run or at my desk at work so I need something fast
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    When I was on 1200 cals a day, my favourite breakfast was poached egg, grilled mushrooms, grilled cherry tomatoes, and a quarter can of baked beans. I'll need to look back through my diary to get the cals total. Gave me lots of energy to get through to lunch, or I had some fruit around 11am if I was feeling hungry (normally not hungry just bored at work!)

I've had a look back, it was under 250 cals, and some days I had bacon medallions too if there were any in the fridge (they are 34 cals each). I have upped my calories recently but my diary is open, feel free to have a look.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Egg muffin.

One poached or scrambled egg = 90 cals
    Multi-grain english muffin = 100cals

190 cals total.

Chuck some pepper on top.

Some sauce to round up the cals to 200.

BEST THING ABOUT THIS IS IT'S CHEAP!!!!!!!!!

6 muffins for 70p and 6 eggs for 50-70p!!!

Boom
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Quinoa or oatmeal cooked with dried fruit (for sweetness) in unsweetened almond milk.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Smoothies are a great way to get in calories and stay full.
    Here's what I usually make my smoothies with:
    1 cup of low fat or non fat plain Greek yogurt
    a fruit of your choice (I usually have an orange or a banana, sometimes both)
    a veggie of your choice. Blend it and enjoy!
    This usually amounts to anywhere between 200-300 calories.
    I tend to be very hungry at breakfast so I like to eat some almonds or a slice of Dave's Killer Bread on the side.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Low fat Greek yogurt plus lots of berries around 120 cals

1 egg plus 3 egg whites plus some peppers, tomatoes, onions etc... 200-250

Sometimes I have an atkins advantage bar 200 cals or a protein shake 250

Protein will keep you going for a while so it's good to include it in your breakfast!

Zara
  • Minerva624
    Options
    Oh and I would refrain from drinking green tea with breakfast and any other meal. Green tea inhibits iron absorption. You didn't mention what type of tea your drink but just a tip for anyone who didn't know. ;)
  • krsomma
    krsomma Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    2 hardboiled eggs,coffee with fat free half n half...tastes better than skim milk...NO bread products only once in awhile.
  • Jademadeley
    Options
    30 grams quick oats
    100 ml rice milk
    1/4 cup frozen blueberries = 174 calories :)
  • JaneStanley8
    JaneStanley8 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have porridge - only 280 calories and it keeps me full until lunchtime :wink:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I just... don't have breakfast :).
    Much easier.

However, if you do like it.. lots of cereals should come to not far off 200 calories for fat free milk.

Not sure where you are, but if you select your bread carefully in the UK you can get it down to 50 calories a slice.
  • Minerva624
    Options
    2 hardboiled eggs,coffee with fat free half n half...tastes better than skim milk...NO bread products only once in awhile.

Bread products are fine as long as they are high in fiber, whole grain, low in sugar, and natural! Dave's Killer Bread is the best bread out there! :heart:
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Breakfast - Porridge!

40g porridge oats, 250ml skimmed milk - 267cals

Add dried fruit, chopped nuts (or both) for natural sweetness... Just don't forget to add the calories :wink:
  • Caletagirl
    Caletagirl Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have bran flakes with soya milk or semi skimmed milk (about 150cal) or
    20g Porrage and a teaspoon of honey with maybe some berries (about 150 cals)
    Nimble bread with half a tin of beans (about 350 cal but you can take out the marg)
    Or Omelette with half a tin of beans (can't remember the calories) but you don't have to have this with beans. Grill some tomatoes and mushrooms to max it out.
  • IsabellaGiano
    IsabellaGiano Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much!

It is a bit (more than a bit, really) difficult for an Italian to think about eggs in the morning, but maybe, since I'm living in the UK now, I can give them a try :)

Also the oat and the weetabix...

For most Italians, breackfast is coffee/tea and orange juice plus bisquits or a croissant or bread or cake... always something sweet.
    The first time in Uk, in a hotel, when I smelled the sausages and eggs the other guests were having, I had a slight aversion... :)
    When I told the maid I wanted something ligth she suggested me mushrooms and grilled tomatoes, and beans... hahahah!
    My Italian friens all laughed when I told them, but I understand that is nothing funny for you all. :)

Well, when in Rome, act as a Roman, they say :)

Thanks!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Okay, obligatory question for the newbie: Are you sure that 1200 calories is all you should be eating?

A lot of new people have the tendency to try to lose too much weight at once, so they eat too little. This has some negative side effects, including slowed metabolism, being hungry for no good reason, and loss of lean body mass (i.e. everything other than fat).

A good rule of thumb is that you should only try to lose 1% of your body weight each week. Another good rule of thumb is to always eat more than your basal metabolic rate (BMR), which is the number of calories your body needs each day to stay alive. You can calculate BMR in the apps section of the website.

In any event, if it turns out you are eating too little, then upping your calories might solve your breakfast problem nicely. :)
  • ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If you want something filling have oatmeal (plain with cinnamon...no sugar) and an apple. Like 250 right there. Now I have high calorie goals as I am gaining weight. But I eat healthy foods. I can tell you without a doubt that plain oatmeal, a dash of cinnamon with a nice sized apple with keep you full for quite awhile. And give you good quality carbs and a healthy sugar natural sugar source.
  • ricgar1955
    Options
    I agree with Chris. Oatmeal with raisins and or apples and cinnamon and sometimes walnuts and a bit of honey works great for me.