Only lost 0.4lbs this week :( feel gutted

Options
Hi guys,

Im new to posting on here but read through alot of posts. This week my weight loss has rly slowed down and im doing all the same things infact evenbdid an xtra excercise class! I had a bad night one night n had an indian but was still 250 under my weekly goal at the end of th week! Feels so gutting to ave worked so hard for such a small loss! Anyone else with the same issue? Xxx

Replies

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Why feel gutted?

A loss is a loss...

Well done!
  • kaybelieve
    Options
    Imagine how you'd feel if it was a 0.4 gain, just be proud you're heading in the right direction :)
  • pracktish
    pracktish Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think we all will have those weeks, but you're still going in the right direction...and thats the goal. Consider it motivation, maybe look over your log for the week and see where you can make some changes. Don't get frustrated, keep on truckin :)
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. You can even expect to gain some weeks. The important thing is that the numbers move down over time.

All sorts of things cause weight to fluctuate, including:
    -changes in exercise regime
    -changes in the amount of sodium consume
    -variations in the amount of food in the digestive tract
    -menstrual cycles

The fluctuations can be several times larger than any decrease in body fat, meaning that they can register as a weight gain when you have, in fact, "lost weight."

Just be patient, welcome to MFP, and (gentle suggestion) post questions like these in either the motivation section or the general weight loss section. :drinker:
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Progress is progress celebrate it as such. Weight loss is not always the same - I lost nothing for a fortnight then 6lb over the next fortnight. Lots of factors e.g. fluid, hormones etc just carry on. Also the measuring tape is another guide especially if you are exercising.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    At least you've progressed in losing weight! Progress is progress no matter how small. :) I've been trying to lose 10 pounds for the past year now and I finally realized that I wasn't eating enough calories to sustain weight loss so don't feel discouraged. See what you can improve on and work from there.
  • 1kerriberri
    Options
    Cmon, that's a good small loss. The slower it comes off the more likely it will stay off. Don't be gutted. There are far bigger things out there to be gutted about. Seriously... :flowerforyou:
  • SlinkyAndHerAmazingBunsOfSteel
    Options
    Why feel gutted?

A loss is a loss...

Well done!
    exactly! I 'only' lost 0.6lb this week and am delighted that I lost something! :wink:
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    This is why you need to get rid of the scale.

You're doing the right things and working hard. The results will come, don't worry.

Just don't go by what the numbers say.
  • sacha_1987
    sacha_1987 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Feel happy it's a loss - however small, it's a loss!! And you still managed to have an Indian takeaway!! Go you! As long as the dial is going down, you're loosing weight. Don't sweat if it's not as much as you thought it might be and work on next week :drinker:
  • turtlefitnessdad
    turtlefitnessdad Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    You should just give up, never try again. Go and get a bic mac and celebrate the end of your weight loss efforts.

Come on now......................
  • natm91
    natm91 Posts: 39
    Options
    i went 1 week and gained 2lb and then half a week at that same weight but then lost it again in a week and went lower than i did before i gained it,the body is a weird thing. if your loosing it then its always a small win :D enjoy it
  • shaunap3
    shaunap3 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Ditto girl. And I posted in the forums complaining about it and everyone picked my entire weeks food to pieces! "You ate junk. Look at all of that sodium. So much processed crap!" It was really, really hurtful, but I will admit it helps me better analyze the KINDS of foods I'd been eating. Some weeks you wont lose as much, or it might show up in a day or two. A small loss on a good week could be due to a huge number of things. Water retention (did you eat a lot of salt/not drink enough water), you need to make a bowel movement, your muscles are repairing themselves so you might be holding water there, or maybe you just didn't eat as well as you had thought. The past few weeks I've managed to have a weekly deffest of 500 or so calories, yet I haven't managed anything besides a gain and a small loss, back to where I started. Just keep trying, though. It's frustrating but results come with time and a LOT of effort!
  • shaunap3
    shaunap3 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You should just give up, never try again. Go and get a bic mac and celebrate the end of your weight loss efforts.

She's venting. Chill.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Few things..

Indian would have probably been more carbs than you've been eating causing water retention.

Indian was probably high sodium causing water retention

New exercise class will have worked new muscles leaving them sore and creating... You've guessed it... Water retention.

Weight loss is not linear. You don't always get a perfect result. Get plenty of water in, keep it up and let the muscles rest a little in the day or two following up to weigh in.

Keep going. Don't let the scale play with your mind. If you stick to it, it will all come good in the next week or two. When starting a new exercise regime it is common for me to have a stall for a week or two. its just your body freaking out at he change. It's good because your challenging it! Its usually followed by a big drop a week or two later.

Zara
  • ntatbeeq
    ntatbeeq Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Same here. u r lucky u lost atleast .4lbs but i have shed nothing at all .i was 66kgs 2weeks before and still i am 66kgs:( i tried each and everything i mean balanced diet and excercising but all in vain :(
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    With only 20 lbs to lose, around 1/2 lb a week is about right.
  • cerealaddict
    cerealaddict Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A loss is a loss at the end of the day, even if it is a small loss. You're closer than last week to your goal and that's what you should focus on. Weight loss is a marathon not a sprint, keep your head up!
  • turtlefitnessdad
    turtlefitnessdad Posts: 585 Member
    Options

She's venting. Chill.

OK...........I know lady's need to vent sometimes so i will give a little bit less of a sarcastic response.

You are doing great. A small loss is much more likely to be a fat loss then a muscle loss. Some weeks are better then others but as long as you are headed where you want to be then don't fret. The Turtle wins the race not the Hare. Keep doing what you are doing and you will continue to see good results. Good job.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!