RESISTANCE

Leg press - Sets 3 Reps 12 Weight 20
Lying Leg Curl - Sets 3 Reps 12 Weight 15
Lat Pull Down - Sets 3 Reps 12 Weight 15
Seated Row - Sets 3 Reps 12 Weight 15
Bicep Curl - Sets 3 Reps 12 Weight 4
Over head arm extension - Sets 3 Reps 12 Weight 4

Abs- standard cunches 3 sets of twelve

This is for the first 4 weeks then will increase. I tend to go back on the treadmill for 10 mins at around 6.0 then onto the bike for around 10 mins at level 4.

I am looking at overall weight loss and general fitness. I am 1.56m and 196.56 lbs so slightly over weight ;)

Am I going along the right lines, I'm aiming to got at least 2 times a week.

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Your choice of exercises doesn't make much sense, since you're not hitting all areas. And your weights are very light.

If you want to get a full body workout, consider the StrongLifts program and switch over to free weights. Only 5 exercises, but it works arms, legs, back, chest, core, everything.
  • PHS7
    PHS7 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Since you're going to the gym, why don't you take a minute and speak with one or two trainers there. Explain to them your overall goals and ask them about a good, well-rounded workout that will get you where you want to go. Also, it may not be a bad idea to talk with your doctor and make sure there aren't any hidden issues that may crop up.

Good luck!!!!
  • LiftHuff
    LiftHuff Posts: 131
    Options
    I would agree that Starting Strength or StrongLifts would be better platforms for general fitness (or just about anything) than the choices of resistance exercise that you have here.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Im assuming you aren't trying to lift heavy (understandable not everyone wants to ) so i would do high reps...
  • LiftHuff
    Options
    Im assuming you aren't trying to lift heavy (understandable not everyone wants to ) so i would do high reps...

3 sets of 12 isn't high reps? If you are using a weight that's low enough that 12 reps isn't challenging, there's little reason to be using weights at all. You may as well be doing calisthenics.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Another shout for strarting strength or strong lifts - once you've got the foundation, go from there.

Doing such a program certainly seems to a lot better for calorie-burning for me than doing more reps of lower weights.
  • Roxiehart9
    Options
    Download an ap called jefit. It's a free ap that has muscle group exercises and it's like having your own personal trainer on your phone :) it shows examples and everything. You need to target one (maybe two) muscle groups instead of tryin to hit all during your workouts becuase yoru muscles needs time to recover (usually two days) so if you do lower body/legs on Monday, work on your back and bicepts on Wednesday.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Cardiovascular

Treadmill

Duration/Distance - 5 minute on 5.5 + 5 minute on 6.5

RESISTANCE

This is for the first 4 weeks then will increase. I tend to go back on the treadmill for 10 mins at around 6.0 then onto the bike for around 10 mins at level 4.

I am looking at overall weight loss and general fitness. I am 1.56m and 196.56 lbs so slightly over weight ;)

Hopefully your gym membership is free. I personally would not pay to exercise at a gym 2x a week, but maybe thats just me. For your workout, you could have also received similar results from not working out at the gym. What I mean by this is I would have done some stretching/warmups and then ran outside (or in place for 5 min and change speed/intensity like you did on the treadmill). Then perform squats, lunges, pull ups, push ups and burpees.

If you are going to the gym checkout what some of the other posters are saying about StrongLifts. You dont have to lift heavy, but the idea is to lift weights using compound movements getting several muscles involved in the lift to get your entire body stronger, not just isolated ones.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Cardiovascular

Treadmill

RESISTANCE

really, none of your weights should be single digits unless you have medical issues. If you can pick up your purse with one hand, you can bicep curl at LEAST 10 pounds.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    have you ever worked out before? Just trying to get a sense of your experience/knowledge...

You should definitely increase the weights and at least get into the 8-10 rep range. The last rep should be really hard to get up; that way you know you are challenging yourself.

There is nothing wrong with a three day total body workout..but you really want to make sure you are hitting everyting - chest, legs, back, shoulders, tris, etc...

something like ..barbell squat, over head press, chest press, deadlift, bent over row, pull up/chin up...

something mentioned strong lifts that would be a good place to start ...or rules for lifting is a good one as well...

Save cardio for your the two off days that you are not weight training...
  • LiftHuff
    Options
    Download an ap called jefit. It's a free ap that has muscle group exercises and it's like having your own personal trainer on your phone :) it shows examples and everything. You need to target one (maybe two) muscle groups instead of tryin to hit all during your workouts becuase yoru muscles needs time to recover (usually two days) so if you do lower body/legs on Monday, work on your back and bicepts on Wednesday.

Sorry but this isn't really accurate. You don't really want to train the same muscle group heavy two days in a row (with some exceptions, as always), but there's no reason you can't do full body every time you lift, and just lift 3 days a week. I do Squat/Bench/Deadlift 3 times a week and have fairly consistently for nearly a year.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Find a standard beginners routine instead of this one. And be prepared to increase the weights you're using as what you have right now is very light. I'm glad that you're about to start strength training. We just need to tighten up the program so you get maximum benefit for your time and effort
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I have never been to a gym before and this was given to me on my induction. I actually do find it a challenge at present. This will increase every 4 weeks up to 12 weeks then change.

I actually aim for more than 2 times a week but I work 12 hr shifts so don't go on those days.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    Cardiovascular

Treadmill

RESISTANCE

really, none of your weights should be single digits unless you have medical issues. If you can pick up your purse with one hand, you can bicep curl at LEAST 10 pounds.

I am assuming that the weight is the number on the machine and is not representative of weight actual weight.
  • debrag12
    Options
    Monday I did the routine plus 10 mins on the treadmill at 6.0
    Tuesday I did the routine plus 10 mins treadmill at 6.0 and 30 mins on the bike on level 4
    Today I went on the cross trainer for 30 mins at a low level and 30 mins on treadmill at 5.5/6.0

For the first 15-20 mins on the cross trainer my legs really hurt but I just worked through it and eventually it was much easier. Maybe that is my problem with lying leg curl I find it hard after the treadmill and leg press but I suppose I'll get used to it.

Some of the machines look scary lol

This is my first actual week at the gym, I only signed up to go to exercise classes but haven't been to one yet lol

I'm tempted to get one of those kettleworx dvds which come with a kettlebell.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Tuesday I did the routine plus 10 mins treadmill at 6.0 and 30 mins on the bike on level 4
    Today I went on the cross trainer for 30 mins at a low level and 30 mins on treadmill at 5.5/6.0

For the first 15-20 mins on the cross trainer my legs really hurt but I just worked through it and eventually it was much easier. Maybe that is my problem with lying leg curl I find it hard after the treadmill and leg press but I suppose I'll get used to it.

This is my first actual week at the gym, I only signed up to go to exercise classes but haven't been to one yet lol

I do the weights after a warm up. I also think you could be doing a lot more with the leg press machine. Warm up for a few minutes, and try your leg press then. 20 pounds sounds pretty low to me.
  • busycitystreets
    busycitystreets Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You should check out www.bodybuilding.com. They have complete workout programs, day by day, even full 12 week programs ... all FREE.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

you would be way better off hitting the free weight section of the gym and doing a three day a week total body work out...with some cardio on off days...

I kettleball DVD workout is not going to take you where you want to go ...just my opinion..

And if you just joined the gym why not take advantage of it and start crushing some work outs??? you already joined, so you already have the desire...
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    [/quote

Leg presses of 20 lbs? That's barely lifting at all. And I would say 12 reps is already high.

I'm wondering if this workout even would generate a sweat.
  • debrag12
    Options
    Does anyone have a free weight workout for beginners? This is usually the busiest part of the gym with all the guys using the equipment (scary)