Monthly Periods.

Options
Do they really effect someones weight? *Like when they're on a period do they tend to weigh more or less?.. Its my time of the month and today was my weigh in.. The scaled showed I had gained 2 pounds, and that my belly was a little bit bigger then last measurement. Is that because I'm bloated or something?..

Replies

• jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I start holding water the week before mine and that adds to the scales, then a few days into my period it's all away again. Don't be disheartened on the scale, you're not any fatter.
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Yep. I go up sometimes as much as 5 pounds, and feel like I can't button my pants.
  • heyjay31
    heyjay31 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes, we retain water during that time. Ugh!!
  • MarieG2023
    MarieG2023 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I tend to retain water during that time of the month. This week, I only lost 1lb., so I'm curious what my weight will be in a few days.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    i retain in the lead up to starting my period

i can gain up to 7lb. this last fortnight i lost a lb one week and my tummy was stuck right out (i came on the next day) and this week i lost 10lb, stomach was back to normal and my nutrition advisor asked me if i was starving myself to get big weight loss grrrrr
  • sarabeth120
    sarabeth120 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, it's most likely just water weight. Most women retain water and get bloated during their periods. The same happens to me too, but it usually goes away towards the end of my period.
  • eleanorknowles
    Options
    I was going to ask the same question - my weight jumped up 3 pounds so I'm thinking I must be due, although this didn't happen last month. The fact it coincided with eating a portion of chocolate pudding and some of my birthday chocolates must be coincidence! I'd not eaten any puddings or chocolates since before 1st Jan, so it was a tad annoying.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I puff up like a flippin balloon. Puffy fingers and all. I write off my weigh in that week.
  • MN4US
    MN4US Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    When do you lovely ladies find that the water weight comes off? First day of your periods? When it's finished?
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Near the end of it, for me. I get a rockin' weigh in a few days after it finishes.
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Yep I was up 5lbs yesterday and was down 3lbs from that today...
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    For me it isn't water retention but food retention, I always get constipated the few days before and then whoosh ... sorry if TMI but you did ask :blushing:
  • Carolannb1986
    Options
    I puff up like a flippin balloon. Puffy fingers and all. I write off my weigh in that week.

Yes i bloat terribly too!! I actually have to take my rings off for a week!! But yes one week a month i ignore my scales due to the monthly, Though I can go up to a 6lb gain if I DON'T drink lots.
  • Alatariel75
    Options

Yes i bloat terribly too!! I actually have to take my rings off for a week!! But yes one week a month i ignore my scales due to the monthly, Though I can go up to a 6lb gain if I DON'T drink lots.

I hear you!! one of my rings doesn't come off right now and sometimes I'm scared my finger is going to turn purple!
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. Drink plenty of water, that should help.
  • pilarter
    Options
    this happens to almost all of us. I can gain up to7-8 pounds, from the day before until even a week after, this sucks! I weigh in weekly but that week while period, it is so frustrating, and my mood is already bad enough to worsen it on the scales.
  • curvynblonde
    curvynblonde Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My weight goes up about 3 pounds and it's about that time for me now so I'm not expecting any losses this week. And my clothes get sooooo tight. Ugh.
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Yep. Normally gain up to around 5lbs on my TOM. Drinks lots of water and it will soon go away x
  • PugCookie
    Options
    Yep I get pretty bloated around that time too.
    Usually show a 1.5-2lb gain too and clothes esp trousers feel quite tight.

Tends to go back to normal around a week after its finished.
  • violinkeri
    Options
    For me it isn't water retention but food retention, I always get constipated the few days before and then whoosh ... sorry if TMI but you did ask :blushing:

This is me too! I think some of it is water, but food too. Then my period starts and its like someone pulled the plug from the bathtub.