What can I do?

Options
ok so here's me, age 32, 5ft 5, 146lbs BMI: 24, body fat 27.6%, body fat mass 18.3kg. I'm reasonably fit and teach 3/4 aerobic/dance classes a week, I really want to mix up my exercise but struggling with what else to fit in alongside a fulltime job and 2 kids. MFP tells me to eat 1200 but i usually go between 1000 - 1600.

Am losing and putting on the same few pounds each week and starting to get me down now :(

Any help/advice/tips very welcomed!

Replies

• Lorna3721
    Lorna3721 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    same here, its very disheartening!!! :-(
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Have no fear ladies!!!! The motivation train has just arrived!!

firstly, your dance classes are a great source of cardio, right?! You burn a *kitten* ton of calories doing that so that's cool!

What about weight training? You know that cardio burns calories for as long as you do the exercise but WEIGHT TRAINING burns calories 24-36hours hours AFTER the workout when you're recovering!!! grab some cheap dumbells!! new or old, dont matter 5kgs of metal is still 5kgs of damn metal!!!

You do not mention your diet!!! weight loss is 90% diet and 10% exercise so make sure your mind and food intake right!

you'll make far more progress, far FASTER when what you put inside your body is GOOD!!!

Good job so far, you're f*cking amazing, dont let anyone tell you any different!!! keep it up!!!

boom!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    After your aerobics class hit the weights 3x a week. You are pressed for time? Simple, just do a set of 5x5 bench one day, squats the 2nd and deadlift the third (only take about 15 min if you rest 60-90 sec between sets). Doesnt seem like enough, but start with the bar the first week and put 2.5 lbs on there every week after that. Progressive loading will get you stronger and more muscle, so when it comes to burning calories you burn far faster. More muscle = more burn

Then eat between 1400-1800 instead.

Also, alot of people stopped with the scale. Take body fat measurements and go off of that.

Results dont come easy, bust *kitten* and if you believe you will see results, YOU WILL!
  • broomnic
    broomnic Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    wow thanks for the advice, weights, eat better and dont' give up!
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    tricksee, I love your comments. They help to motivate me.... I get frustrated with the scales too but notice that I am a size down on trousers, my arms look more shaped and I can scuba dive after a six month break for over 55 minutes with max depth of 80ft. Not bad for a 53 year old! MFP has really changed the way I think about things. At the moment I am using the weight machines but will look at free weights soon.

To the OP, don't give up! It can be very discouraging when the scales don't go down. This happens to me too and then, after 4-5 weeks of no action there is a sudden whoosh and I am down a few more pounds. Keep on trying. It is worth it.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I get frustrated with the scales too but notice that I am a size down on trousers, my arms look more shaped and I can scuba dive after a six month break for over 55 minutes with max depth of 80ft. Not bad for a 53 year old!

this is the kinda stuff I'm talking about!!! RESULTS!!!!

Scales suck! I weighed myself once, went into the living room and farted. came back to weigh and put on 2 lbs!!!

throw your scales into the darkest recess of your homes where it will rot and gather nothing but dust!!

I'm sick of number hindering peoples chances of becoming someone better!!!
  • furniem
    furniem Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yes! What Tricksee said! mix it up. Build that muscle up and it will burn for you while you are resting!
    Good luck!
  • FattieBabs
    Options
    Wow Furniem. That is an amazing weightloss! How long did it take you? I hope you mind me asking!

My next goal is in four months time so starting to up my workouts....
  • FattieBabs
    Options
    And Tricksee 30 pounds in three months is amazing! Well done you. I managed 20 in three months but put some back on so starting again although still 16 pounds down. Lent starts tomorrow so I will be supporting my husband who is leaving off the booze apart from Sundays.....meanwhile pancakes and cider tonight :-))
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Caniac68
    Caniac68 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Never...ever give up! I hit that same bump in the road two summers ago. This past summer, I was stuck. Nothing was working and I was down. Then, I won two free sessions with a trainer. He set up a circuit routine using equipment I already had in my house and it took no more than an hour a day and usually less. When combined with the MFP calorie recommendations, I dropped a fast 20 pounds in a month. Since then, I have not had time to exercise thanks to my schedule but have maintained a steady weight at a my goal of approximately 140lbs. Look into circuit training combining your cardio and weight training in a fast pace. It burns those pounds away fast. And as always, just remember: you can do it!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    After your aerobics class hit the weights 3x a week. You are pressed for time? Simple, just do a set of 5x5 bench one day, squats the 2nd and deadlift the third (only take about 15 min if you rest 60-90 sec between sets). Doesnt seem like enough, but start with the bar the first week and put 2.5 lbs on there every week after that. Progressive loading will get you stronger and more muscle, so when it comes to burning calories you burn far faster. More muscle = more burn

Then eat between 1400-1800 instead.

Also, alot of people stopped with the scale. Take body fat measurements and go off of that.

Results dont come easy, bust *kitten* and if you believe you will see results, YOU WILL!
    Wut. No.

ALWAYS lift before cardio, not after.