day 1 went terribley.

Options
I was doing so good all day... apple for breakfast, fruits & veggies for lunch, salad for dinner. i thought i was done with the day, then i clicked "complete this entry" because i was finished... but then it says that i did not eat enough calories and my body would go into starvation mode if i didn't eat more. so at that point i just completely went all out binge eating; cereal, goldfish, cheez-its, pizza rolls... i went mad. but now i know, and i've learned my lesson that i must have AT LEAST 1,200 calories. no more, no less.

hopefully day 2 turns out better. gotta get my dream tummy.

Replies

• elena0559
    elena0559 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is a new day! I just started and have noticed that not everyone gets to their goal on a daily basis, some go over and some go under. I have done it for 5 days and have gone over 3 of my 5 days and have still managed to loose 5lbs. (I have a lot of weight to loose so simply cutting back some calories is helping me).

So give it another shot :happy:
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    some days you will go a little over, some days you will go a little under... usually, for me, it all averages out at the end of the week and works out fine.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Then don't eat under. Duh.

Aim for your calorie goal, maybe even exceed it by a few cals - you'll still be in a deficit.
  • cindygretz
    Options
    Fill out your diary a day ahead and plan your meals. I have everything filled out before I go to bed except dinner and last snack (Breakfast, first break at work, lunch, last break) This way I can pack my lunch and snacks the night before, don't have to waste time figuring out what I'm making for breakfast, and can mostly balance my macro's for the day. I can plan my calorie spread starting with breakfast at 300/100/300/100/300/100 give or take 50 here and there with a high protein snack before bed. (I hear protein before bed encourages blood sugar stability overnight)

I'm just in my first week myself, but I don't think I could do this without planning a day ahead.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    lol............Yeah, fruit and veg has a tendency to do that to people.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Yes pre-logging is vital I think. Do it as the previous poster said the day before as much as you can fill out, it'll help a lot.

Also I'd like to add that a big part of why you over-ate is probably due to you eating tiny meals. An apple is not breakfast! Add in some sort of protein too. What was in your salad? You can't just eat fruit and veg all day and expect this to work for you long term. Try to add some protein to most if not all of your meals, it'll keep you fuller.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    well you learned something important for the future there! :)
  • CMansager
    Options
    Sorry to hear that your first day went badly. I forgot where I heard or read this thought, but it really helps me. It read, "Instead of thinking, "I want that, but I can't have it." Think to yourself, "I CAN have that, but I don't WANT it" That way, you are changing deprivation thinking into empowerment and "choice" thinking. You can dictate how you feel, not the ticker, not this machine, not the calorie counter- just you. Don't turn your power over to those numbers. They are tool for you to use, a guideline. If you go under/ over 1,200 calories (which already seems low to me, to be honest) don't punish yourself with food, or anything else. Concentrate on WHY you don't want to make poor nutrition choices. Keep a journal where you can read those reasons when you need to, if necessary. Day one didn't go "terribly," it didn't go the way you would have liked. You can either keep giving into the temptations, or you can learn from your mistakes. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and be PROUD that you are trying. There are so many other people that are in complete denial, and you aren't! That doesn't sound so terrible, does it? We are all struggling, you aren't alone. Come back here if you need to. Here's to: "Better days ahead!"
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    do some reasearch, find some facts, even 1200 calories are not enough. Read this and it will explain a healthy weight loss that can last a lifetime
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    you had an apple for breakfast? Yikes, I'd be passed out if that's all I ate, what if you try and eat more food at each meal?

Day 2 can only get better, right? :wink:
  • zehel1610
    Options
    It did for me too, and I learned "why". It's because I was hungry. Why was I hungry? Because I didn't eat enough PROTEIN.

Protein will keep you full much longer, since it takes longer to digest. Fruits & veggies are digested super fast, so its no wonder you were starving. Try this:

1) LOTS of protein (i find baking chicken, without seasonings, is best since its low calorie) - about 8-10 oz./day
    2) Limit fruits to 1 cup/day. That's 1 metric cup, not 1 big *kitten* cup you use for making koolaid, hah!
    3) 2 cups/day of veggies.
    4) 2 slices of wheat bread per day
    5) 1 yogurt per day
    6) 1 SERVING of a snack/day (HEALTHY snack like cashews, rice cakes, or cheese cubes). Let me re-emphasise -- ONE SERVING.

That should keep you between 1200-1400 ca./day. And you will find once you reach 1200, you really won't be that hungry anymore because of all the protein.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Day 1 goes badly for everyone. Try to get yourself out of the "on a diet" mentality. It will only make you feel hungry and deprived, and result in weight gain when you go off your diet. You will have much better long-term success if you view this as a lifestyle change.

I'd recommend eating normally for a week or two, but logging everything, to see where the low-hanging fruit lies. Then, make one healthy change at a time.

I also second the recommendation to check out http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 to get a better understanding of how to set a healthy plan to lose weight.
  • CMansager
    Options
    It did for me too, and I learned "why". It's because I was hungry. Why was I hungry? Because I didn't eat enough PROTEIN.

Protein will keep you full much longer, since it takes longer to digest. Fruits & veggies are digested super fast, so its no wonder you were starving. Try this:

1) LOTS of protein (i find baking chicken, without seasonings, is best since its low calorie) - about 8-10 oz./day
    2) Limit fruits to 1 cup/day. That's 1 metric cup, not 1 big *kitten* cup you use for making koolaid, hah!
    3) 2 cups/day of veggies.
    4) 2 slices of wheat bread per day
    5) 1 yogurt per day
    6) 1 SERVING of a snack/day (HEALTHY snack like cashews, rice cakes, or cheese cubes). Let me re-emphasise -- ONE SERVING.

That should keep you between 1200-1400 ca./day. And you will find once you reach 1200, you really won't be that hungry anymore because of all the protein.

You said, 1) LOTS of protein (i find baking chicken, without seasonings, is best since its low calorie) - about 8-10 oz./day.

I agree with lots of protein. However, plant-based protein like the grain quinoa, organic peanut butter, and snacking on edamame are better for the body than animal-based proteins, like chicken and fish, and have more complete, essential amino acids. I am not judging eating meat. I have read a lot of studies that support this idea, and looking at large societies that eat largely plant-based proteins have lower incidences of heart disease, obesity, and diabetes, is hard to ignore. I used to believe fish was best, but I have been converted, and hope you don't mind my sharing a different idea of "Best." People have to figure out what works for them. But, yes, we DO agree on "proteins!" Absolutely.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I agree with getting more protein, and complex carbs will also keep you feeling full longer-they take longer for your body to break down, so they give you energy longer. Try some multigrain toast with pb for breakfast, or a little brown rice with veggies for lunch, just don't go crazy on the portion size.

Everyone has a bad day whether its the first day or the fiftieth...just don't let it affect day 2! You can do it :)
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    at 1,200 they have a cusion built in so if you eat 1,300 you will probably still be at a deficit. Also, do not live and die by your daily calories, weight etc. A bad day happens and when it does say ok, I need to do better tomorrow and move on.
  • AliciaC81
    AliciaC81 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you've ever tried to lose weight before you've probably been programmed to think that you have to eat like a rabbit, super low calorie, mainly just fruits and veggies and no treats or snacky foods at all or you won't lose. This usually does make people lose weight for a little bit but they're so miserable and exhausted that they don't keep it up, they stop and they lose it all back. Not to mention the possibility of going into starvation mode.

When going to MFP it's awesome to see hey wait I can still actually EAT and lose weight. It can take a little time to get used to what an average day looks like so I recommend prelogging at first. Then you can keep an eye on how many calories you have left throughout the day. I like to do it meal by meal so I can see how I am feeling and then adjust my meals to match what I feel like my body needs...more protein, a lighter meal, etc.
  • AliciaC81
    AliciaC81 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    A bad day happens and when it does say ok, I need to do better tomorrow and move on.

This is a very important lesson that I'm just getting the hang of this time around! I had always given up when trying to lose weight if I had a bad day (or two..or three). I now know that I just need to start fresh the next day and not let one day of bad eating decisions affect my overall goal!
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Day 2 was the worst for me. I had a headache all day.

I think you need more protein and fat to feel full. If you are avoiding meats and dairy then you probably need more beans, seeds, and grains.
  • samanthawarren
    Options
    Did you say you only had an apple for breakfast and fruits and veggies for lunch? Are you doing some sort of cleanse? If not and this is for weight loss you definitely need to add protien and fats as someone else mentioned. If you don't get enough fat you will get dieters brain http://www.self.com/blogs/flash/2012/05/4-signs-that-you-dont-have-eno.html which is mental fatigue. If you are starving yourself you are setting yourself up for failure.
    I don't know your situation and many people do just fine on low calorie diets, you just have to make sure it is balanced. I wish you success on your weight loss journey.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I believe you have to set yourself up to succeed. I could not eat 1200 calories if I tried, I would get frustrated and always feel hungry and then I would fail.

You only have like 11-17 pounds to lose(if i remember right). You might want to change your weekly goal to .5 pounds. It may take a little longer, but you will get in the habit of eating the proper amount and you will keep it off.

This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Good luck.