replacing french fries and chips.

Options
I feel like my sandwiches r always naked. Does anyone have a crunchy salty low fat alternative to fries? I want fish and chips, but chips r a nono

Salty crunchy ketchup. What should i eat on the side of my bocaburger? What can i have instead of hashbrowns?

Replies

• curejenn
    curejenn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you just start eating the sandwich by itself you may find it fills you up! Fries/chips were sort of just a habit for me. That is what my family always served with sandwiches so that is just what I became accustomed to. When I met my husband, we would stop by somewhere to grab a sandwich and he would just order the sandwich because in his family, they never ate the extras. So I started doing the same. That was years ago and I don't even think about fries or chips anymore. Now, sometimes I will make a buffalo chicken sandwich at home and that HAS to be served with ice cold carrot and celery sticks and 2 TBSP of full fat ranch :)
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You can always slice the potatoes yourself for fries or chips and bake them in the oven. Drizzle a little bit of olive oil and seasonings on them. I am sure you can find many ways of doing this the healthy way online.

I love ketchup, but I find mustard is a very good alternative.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    I go with baked sweet potato fries. I cut up a sweet potato, rinse and pat dry (gets rid of some excess starch), toss in a beaten egg white/seasoning (usually cinnamon/paprika), and bake on a sheet I spray with Pam. The egg white gives it a little bit of 'crunch' like normal fries
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Depends on what the issue with fries is.

Calories - well - bake your fries like this:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/02/baked-seasoned-fries-with-skinny-garlic.html

Carbs - make these:

http://www.food.com/recipe/parmesan-chips-45756/review

Eat out at restaurants so often that you son't cook. Either suck it up and just have the sandwich or work out extra to let you eat the darn fries.

;-)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything you want as long as you stay in budget. You'll find you don't get as much to eat in a day and it probably won't keep you happy long though.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I feel like my sandwiches r always naked. Does anyone have a crunchy salty low fat alternative to fries? I want fish and chips, but chips r a nono

Salty crunchy ketchup. What should i eat on the side of my bocaburger? What can i have instead of hashbrowns?

I don't like chips very much, but I eat french fries and hashbrowns on a fairly regular basis. If I did like chips, then I would eat them. Unless you have an allergy or medical condition, eat what you like. don't over-think it.
  • sarah3333
    sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I just had french fries the other day. Made in the microwave, 45 shoestring fries was 140 calories. Pretty good :)
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    SWEET POTATO FRIES!!!!

END THREAD!!
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I had some sweet potato tatter tots as my side last night with my hamburger, they were pretty good.
  • dmaloof2013
    dmaloof2013 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers act as a really good "crunch" substitute!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I just eat a serving of fries or chips...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If we're talking eating at home or packing for work, I'll just get some fruit in with the sandwich like an apple or orange. Some folks like having carrot sticks or celery sticks but I'm just not a fan. If we're talking dining out, sometimes I go ahead and get the fries but most restaurants will substitute with a side of mixed veggies or a salad if you ask nicely. :)
  • watergallagher
    watergallagher Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    LOTS OF GR8 ANSWERS, IT THINK THIS ANSWER IS THE KINDEST.

Depends on what the issue with fries is.

Calories - well - bake your fries like this:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/02/baked-seasoned-fries-with-skinny-garlic.html

Carbs - make these:

http://www.food.com/recipe/parmesan-chips-45756/review

Eat out at restaurants so often that you son't cook. Either suck it up and just have the sandwich or work out extra to let you eat the darn fries.

;-)

I DONT LIKE SWEET POTATO PIE AND HAVE NEVER HAD SWEET POTATO FRIES...

MORE RESEARCH TO DO, CANT WAIT TO SEE MORE ANSWERS.
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You can also use turnips instead of potatoes. Very low cals and carbs (compared to potatoes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZj3BmqUtQo
  • MrsRogers2010
    Options
    I don't like sweet potatoes in the traditional receipes, but I do like sweet potato fries a lot! It's kind of like a mix of a side and a sweet treat!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    If you want crunchy and healthy, why not a nice crunchy salad :) Adding things like carrot slices, water chestnuts, veiny greens (they usually have a good amount of fiber the more veiny they are), red peppers and things like that. It gives you that same satisfying crunch but way better for you.
  • msamcoates
    msamcoates Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Fruit bowl.
  • bpn80
    bpn80 Posts: 43
    Options
    I cut brussel sprouts in half, spray them with olive oil, sprinkle them with salt, and bake them in the over for about 15 minutes at 400 degrees. This satisfies my salty craving!
  • andreajp
    andreajp Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I like the Special K cracker chips in Sea Salt. 30 "chips" for 110 calories. Sometimes you just need the crunch.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    home made baked sweet potatoe fries!!!