earned calories with exercise, should I eat those extra?

Options
Just wondering since I want to do weightloss in a healthy way: I just filled in excersie results in myfitnesspal for the first time (360 calories burned). Now it says in my food diary that I earned 360 extra calories and my total to spend went up with 360. This means it is wise to eat 360 calories extra this day? Or is that not really necessary? I want to make sure I eat enough!

Replies

• erin4455
    erin4455 Posts: 135
    Options
    Personally, I never eat my exercise calories back but you will find tons of people on here that tell you to do so. For me, things work without me eating them.
  • stephgreene
    Options
    It's honestly up to you... I've heard people say both. I say not, unless if you're really hungry. No point in stuffing yourself!
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for the quick reply :) When I did WW, they would give you 'active points' you were free to spend but you didn't have to. But since myfitnesspal counts them straight up to what you have left to spend for that day, I started wondering :)

thanks! Would love to hear more people on this though :)
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Simple answer..... yes...

I know alot of people dont, but why starve yourself... when i work out intensely i am ravernous after, so might aswell enjoy what i've earnt and still loose, also by 'fueling' your workouts, rather than stuffing afterwards (i.e using up some of your proposed 'burn' beforehand you will perform better...

Personally i lost over 90lbs (overall) and ate all my exersize calories... Never did me any harm.. and i think it helped!
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    If you are netting too few calories, eat them back!! For example, if your "net" calories after working out are below say 1200, eat more! You need to fuel your body to lose weight the healthy way. If you are only netting like 600 calories, you are starving yourself.
    Hope this makes sense!
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I will definitely not starve myself, that would never happen to me lol. Good tip to eat something extra beforehand! Great results btw!!
  • ksutherland0
    ksutherland0 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I never eat my exercise calories back either unless I am training for a big run..then it is hard not to because I am buring so many calories. If I burn a lot of calories on a Saturday, then it is nice to have the option to use if we go out to dinner...then I have not wreck my whole day of dieting.
  • HollieK87
    Options
    I would argue that you should just because if you eat too few calories (like the message tells you at the bottom of your food diary) you begin to starve yourself and slowdown your metabolism. If you eat them back just do it with fruit or veggies. Coming under on your calories feels like a hollow victory if you go over in fat or carbs. If you eat them back, be smart! :-)
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    ONLY if you are hungry! :drinker:
  • 2moonNback
    2moonNback Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat my exercise calories back. On occasion, like holidays or weddings when it is hard to control the food that is prepared and offered I will and I won't feel guilty about it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    No, it's not up to you. PEOPLE, FOR GOD'S SAKE... STOP SAYING THAT.

If you have to ask the question, then you don't understand the issue well enough to make the decision for yourself.

When you setup your goal/profile... if you included exercise into the formula to calculate your daily calorie goal (which MFP doesn't do by default, but most TDEE calculators DO include), then you don't need to log exercise or eat back those calories. If you didn't include exercise in the calculations, then yes, you should be logging exercise cals and eating them back.
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I eat back my exercise calories, i am new to exercising so it's a good motivation. I have
    lost 19 lbs since January this year so for me it is working out fine. Your choice though x
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options

If you have to ask the question, then you don't understand the issue well enough to make the decision for yourself.

When you setup your goal/profile... if you included exercise into the formula to calculate your daily calorie goal (which MFP doesn't do by default, but most TDEE calculators DO include), then you don't need to log exercise or eat back those calories. If you didn't include exercise in the calculations, then yes, you should be logging exercise cals and eating them back.

Exactly right. I keep mine set without any activity (sedentary) and earn extra calories through my workouts and activity. Keeps me focused on being active. I tend not to eat back all my calories but I do eat 80% of them if I am hungry.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Yes. The way this site is set up, you're supposed to eat them.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options

Yes!!!!!! Eat them! And for those of you who say you aren't hungry, eat and your metabolism will start working again. No one is full eating 1200 or less. Don't' "listen to your body" either. If we knew how to "listen to our bodies", we wouldn't be here to begin with. Just eat them.
  • RomanaW
    RomanaW Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on your results. If you eat them and you are still losing weight and getting closer to your goal it is fine. I am not eating mine as when I do, my weight loss usually stops.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

This!! ^^^^
    Eat them back, that's how the site is designed. The ones you earn taste the best.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on your results. If you eat them and you are still losing weight and getting closer to your goal it is fine. I am not eating mine as when I do, my weight loss usually stops.

That's probably an issue with your calculations and/or estimates, not with the approach of eating back cals.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed in a way that you're supposed to eat them back. I used to never eat my exercise calories back but I plateaued a lot. I tried eating back half and it works great for me. I do it kind of on a weekly basis though. Monday-Thursday I won't eat any back, but Friday-Sunday I'll eat them all back. Some weeks I'm just really hungry and I eat them all back every day. I like having the flexibility without derailing my progress.
  • jraines1973
    jraines1973 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I eat some back but never all of them!!