3 Overripe Bananas--what to do...

Options
I have three browning bananas at home and I want to know if I can make them into something tasty and somewhat nutritious! I know my sister makes banana bread with the ripe ones but she uses like 6 and i dont have a pan for half a loaf :D

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I make banana strawberry muffins with my over ripe bananas. There are so many different recipes for banana muffins. Some have crumble on top, which is good but not really "healthy".
  • s_wilson84
    s_wilson84 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Peel them, freeze them whole, and use them in smoothies or make banana ice"cream".
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    3 very ripe bananas is what I used to use for banana bread. Look up Nancy Clarke banana bread on here usig the search function. You can add anything you like really! Yummy! X
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    u can make banana bread with 3..that's all I ever use
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Stick them in the freezer, unpeeled. When you feel like one, bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the inside is all mushy. You could add cinnamon and nuts too. Serve with ice cream.
  • eandrsmom
    Options
    I use three bananas for banana chip muffins. Just use a banana bread recipe, throw in some semi-sweet mini chips and adjust the cooking time. :)
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    google banana bread. so good!!
  • crystalmshultz
    Options
    so many things you can do, cut them up and freeze them for smoothies, there are several recipes to make pancakes or even an ice cream like treat (so good too)
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Hey,

you could make some very healthy muffins by incorporating them with oats and almond meal plus some flax seed and use an egg (there are lots of healthy recipes out there, google it!)

Also frozen (as recommended) is good for smoothies :)

Or baked with ice cream (mmm), my parents used to always do that. Also thrown into porridge (not the gross instant stuff, the 'non-instant' which only takes 5 mins on the stove!)

Good luck :)
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I would either make this: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/baked-oatmeal-with-blueberries-and.html (any fruit works)

Or this - like I made this weekend with three bananas: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/825585-100-calorie-banana-loaf (I don't use splenda - so I used 3/4 cup white granulated sugar, and 1/4 cup brown sugar.) I split it in two normal size loaf pans and it made 16 big slices - 8 per pan for about 110 calories per serving.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    This!

Clean Banana Bread with Almond Flour
    4 C. almond flour
    2 C. coconut flour
    1 C. dark chocolate chips
    1 cup fresh raspberries, dusted with almond flour
    1 tsp. sea salt
    2 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/4 C. honey
    1/2 C. coconut oil
    6 eggs
    2 tbs. vanilla
    2 1/2 C. mashed bananas (approximately 5 small bananas)
    1. In a mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients — almond flour, coconut flour, chocolate chips, salt, baking soda, & baking powder.
    2. In a separate mixing bowl, combine all wet ingredients — honey, coconut oil, eggs, vanilla, & bananas.
    3. Combine wet and dry ingredients thoroughly with a spoon. Fold raspberries in last, gently! Transfer into two loaf pans or one bundt cake pan or 24 muffin tins. Cook at 350F. If using two loaf pans, cook for about 40 minutes. If using a bundt cake pan, cook for about 45-50 minutes. If using muffin tins, cook for about 25 minutes”
  • MamaTrombone
    Options
    Even though my recipe calls for four, I always use three bananas for banana bread. It's always delicious. Just make sure you have somebody to share it with. You don't want all those calories to yourself. :-)
  • syrr
    syrr Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere to mash up 2 bananas, mix in 1 cup oats, drop like cookies and bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes...I tried it (added cinnamon) and they're not too bad.
  • violinkeri
    Options
    Peel them, freeze them whole, and use them in smoothies or make banana ice"cream".

A girl at work just suggested this! I had never heard it before but it sounds delicious!
  • violinkeri
    Options
    OK nvm i was going to reply to them all but you guys are just too quick! These all sound delicious, I think I will pop them in the freezer tonight and then either bake them with the cinnamon or pop them in the blender for ice cream.

Thanks everyone! Wasn't expecting so many answers so soon :)
  • aprilmaybee
    Options
    You can add a little cocoa powder and a little peanut butter and it's supposed to be amazeballs.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have three browning bananas at home and I want to know if I can make them into something tasty and somewhat nutritious! I know my sister makes banana bread with the ripe ones but she uses like 6 and i dont have a pan for half a loaf :D

I only use three for a banana loaf. I've never seen a recipe that called for 6 bananas unless it yielded 2 loaves.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Stick them in the freezer, unpeeled. When you feel like one, bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the inside is all mushy. You could add cinnamon and nuts too. Serve with ice cream.

I freeze them all the time and use them in my protein shakes. You don't need to add ice and it makes a smoother, frothier protein shake.

Also, I use them to make banana pancakes. I have been working on some other ideas, but so far that is all I've got. I've heard some people use it to make an ice cream substitute, kind of like a sorbet.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Couple options. I use 3 bananas in my banana bread. Use the recipe on skinnytaste.com but note that the recipe on there is for 2 loaves, so just cut in 1/2. Another option is frozen bananas dipped in chocolate and PB. Freeze the bananas. Melt 2/3 cup chocolate chips in a bowl with 1 tbsp of PB. Slice each banana into around 10 slices or so and dip each slice into the melted mixture. Lay each out on a foil lined cookie sheet in the freezer until frozen. Then put in a zippie bag for munching on. As long as you don't have a whole banana like this, 3-4 slices is only around 50 cals I think if you put in the recipe builder. They're good to just grab a couple out of the freezer when you want something sweet, plus you can't eat them quickly with them being frozen, so it's easy to only have a couple at a time. Berry sorbet is another option if you have a good blender. Freeze the bananas. Add 1 frozen banana, 1 cup skim milk and 1 cup frozen berries to the blender (if you have a ninja, this works best). This makes 2 servings and is around 110 cals/serving and the serving is HUGE!

I also made up my own recipe of 3 ripe bananas, 1.5 cups oatmeal, 1 egg and about 1/2 cup chocolate chips in a mixer. Bake in a 8x8 greased pan at 350 for around 20-25 min. If you cut the pan into 12 bars, these are around 70 cals each.
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    easy banana muffins.
    1 box cake mix (any kind)
    banana's
    2 eggs

bake for 18 mins at 350..gives about 18 muffins.

my kids like it when i toss in a handfull of chocolate chips.
    Its low fat and comes out to around 150 calories per muffin