Runners: What do you do when injured???

Options
bunnyr
bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
Hey all you runners! I haven't posted in a long time and its great to see some familiar names at MFP. I am in dire need of advice. I injured my ankle 6 weeks ago and still can't run. The doctors don't agree about what is wrong and so of course the treatment is really slow. I've tried walking on a treadmill and stationary bike and they both aggravate the pain. From previous ankle injuries I know that swimming can also hurt. So what can I do for some exercise??? I am climbing the walls :ohwell: Any advice would be much appreciated!
Bunny

Replies

• kimandal99
    kimandal99 Posts: 52
    Options
    I currently have a sore ankle too and just keep running. It actually doesn't hurt once I get into running (after the first minute or so) but it hurts terribly afterwards for awhile until I walk it off. Not sure how I injured it but it's not fun. But there is no way I can stop running because I need the cardio burn.
    Good luck to you. Hopefully you will recover soon.
  • borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    i had a knee injury so I used the eliptcal and bike. The bike may work better for you . good luck
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Swim until you turn into a dolphin!
  • lavieenrose11
    Options
    Workouts should be ones that put less stress on whatever is hurting. For example, I had shin splints, so even the elliptical hurt. I was tied to a stationary bike :( So basically, play with different ideas but don't stop! I did, and I'm here now trying to reverse all the "damage" that happened while I was rehabbing.

Good luck! And if it's a muscle thing - I find yoga to be the best cross-training for that.
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Boxing/Arm Moves get up your heart rate without putting any more then pressure from standing on your ankle.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear you are injured. That really stinks. I would recommend strength training. If you have a gym membership, do they have rowing. If you are doing it right, it is good cardio but your ankles should be stationary. Other than that weights, upper body strength training with core.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.
  • bunnyr
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will hit the gym and see what I can do. Meanwhile I'll be enjoying your running stories!
    Bunny
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Ankle injuries really are annoying! I have a small one occasionally and for those times I will try to do some HIIT stuff that doesn't involve jumping around or aggravating it. Things like kettlebells, body weight pushups, pullups, dips etc. These will really get the HR up. But give it the rest it needs, you have to listen to your body especially with injuries (as opposed to DOMS).

I had stress fractures in my foot and was impatient with it and ended up taking nearly a year to heal instead of 3-4 months.
  • bunnyr
    Options
    thanks. that is what I am wary of. The doctor says he thinks the pain is from a joint, maybe even a chipped bone. I ran through the pain for months before it stopped me. I am going to explore the gym today........there has to be something I can do. Maybe I have actually develop some upper body strength......:smile: Glad you are healed and running again!