Extreme Vanity Sizing at Target! TWO+ sizes too low!

Options

Replies

• HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I wish womens clothing was like mens, a 32 waist is a 32 waist.

Lies!!!

I'm wearing three different pants sizes and two different shirt sizes. I also have a couple shirts in the larger of those two sizes that I can't even button.

Clothing sizing is bad all around.
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

if you're 172 lbs, you might want to consider wearing your pants a little higher than barely above your *kitten* crack.
    [/quote]

Wow, rude much?
  • tralalalisamom
    tralalalisamom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    She wasn't asking for you fashion advice...
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I have many different sized jeans in my closet, from size 4 to 8.
    They all fit.
    From all different brands.
    No consistancy AT ALL!
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    P.S.: Was it REALLY necessary to zero in on that one point to insult me instead of actually contributing to the thread?

I agree. This goes on waaaay too often on here. Some just need to keep their mouth shut!!

Sizing in different stores and brands is super annoying. But like most said, as long as you feel comfortable, that's what counts! I have some pants that are 16, and some that are 12, and they fit the same!!

Sizes have definately shrunk these days!!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. Even the mens jeans I bought recently are vanity sized. I checked by measuring.

Right now I have a bunch of size 6s and even a size 4 I can fit into and I know perfectly well that the last time I was this size I was an 8.

I also know that when I'm between 115 and 125 I'm a 4 or a 6 and quite happy and healthy at that weight. But I haven't been on the lower end of the 120s for over ten years. So I wonder, am I going to end up a 2 now because of the vanity sizing?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    There's no way you'll ever figure it all out. Sizes at every store and with every brand are so different. It's quite bothersome.
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I loved the article below on the history of women's clothing sizes. It helped me understand why we can't just go in waist and length like men's clothing. It still sucks though! The year I got married I wore a size 4 or 6. I was devastated when they fit my wedding dress as a size 12! The women who took my measurements said it was my boobs. My boobs were a 12 - my waist was a 6. I definitely needed alterations later!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_standard_clothing_size
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    P.S.: Was it REALLY necessary to zero in on that one point to insult me instead of actually contributing to the thread?

I agree. This goes on waaaay too often on here. Some just need to keep their mouth shut!!

Sizing in different stores and brands is super annoying. But like most said, as long as you feel comfortable, that's what counts! I have some pants that are 16, and some that are 12, and they fit the same!!

Sizes have definately shrunk these days!!
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I went to target last night actually and found their curvy fit 4 to fit me realllly good. Its the lower rise, comes to about an inch under my belly button, and has no gap in the *kitten* on the waist band. My deal is that, im used to jeans coming up further on my backend, and these sit right at the hipbones and are lower on the curve of my butt, so it makes me uncomfortable (but no crack showing or blubber poppin out the back). DH last night when i showed him said they looked great and there was nothing wrong with it and when I tried to explain to him the whole butt thing he said...yes dear that would be the mom jean thing. BUT THATS HOW I GREW UP WEARING JEANS!!! Anyway. Dunno about the vanity sizing being off. Im pushing into a 12 in most places, and totally can wear a 12 if i can find a curvy fit and i also am 172 but am 5'2. Oh and the size thing has to do with the spandex in the jeans. These that i found were 99% cotton, so they will give a bit with wear, but the way spandexy types usually can go down further in sizes. It jsut depends on what they are made of sometimes too.
  • missmince
    missmince Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I wish womens clothing was like mens, a 32 waist is a 32 waist.

Lies!!!

I'm wearing three different pants sizes and two different shirt sizes. I also have a couple shirts in the larger of those two sizes that I can't even button.

Clothing sizing is bad all around.

So guys don't actually have it easier with clothes? I'm not sure if that's comforting or depressing. I sort of knew it, since I wear some of my son's outgrown jeans (from when he was a 6teenager), and they have stuff like "loose fit, straight leg" on them. I'd still rather have numbers more meaningful than 6 or 8 or whatever. And when it comes to XS to XL, it really gets hopeless.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing size 16 for several years. In the past 2 weeks I've bought 4 pairs of pants. Two are size 14 and the other two are size 12. It all depends on the brand, I think. Target doesn't size the jeans, the manufacturer/designer does.
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Target is confusing b/c of the different in-store brands!

The Exhiliration, Mossimo and designer collaboration brands seem to be very tiny.
    Merona, Converse One star seem to be a bit more reasonable.

But yeah, SIZE IS ALWAYS CONTEXTUAL.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I hate vanity sizing SO MUCH because it created confusion. I wish womens clothing was like mens, a 32 waist is a 32 waist.

Not really. I own shorts and pants that are labelled 31, 32, 33, and 34, and all fit. Usually, the dress pants are closer to true waist inches, but since not all pants sit exactly at your waist, the "waist size" is often irrelevant.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    When buying clothes now I focus on the fit not the number on the tag, it is so inconsistent sometimes.

Inconsistent is the best way to put it. And yeah, I have gotten used to just picking up a 4-size (or so) range of one article of clothing and just seeing what fits in the dressing room. :/

Yup this is what I do too, even if I already have clothes from the same store. Like you said, even different styles from the same store (low rise vs mid rise) are all over the place size-wise. My closet ranges from XS to L tops and size 6 to size 12 pants! It's crazy.
  • Kanlassak
    Kanlassak Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_standard_clothing_size clothing sizes from the 1940-50s

In my experience though, target is terrible about the thighs in their pants. I've got giant thighs/butt with a significantly smaller waist, and none of their stuff fits. I actually asked if they had anything made for a significant difference between those two areas, because I could fit both my fists in the waist gap, and the salesperson just stared at me like this was a foreign concept.
  • tralalalisamom
    tralalalisamom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh, lol...sorry- I just saw that everyone else had already commented on the rude poster, thought I was the first one & thought I quoted the rude poster in my post...I'll get the hang of this thing eventually. Ignore me.

To the original poster, yeah, I've not been able to shop at Target in a while-I would beat myself up over not being able to fit into the clothes that I used to fit into, so I abandoned.

Great weight loss, by the way! Keep it up!!
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    if you're 172 lbs, you might want to consider wearing your pants a little higher than barely above your *kitten* crack.
    [/quote]

Says someone without a actual profile pic, only two friends, and quite a bit of weight to lose herself.

*tisk, tisk*
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    My personal experience with Target is quite the opposite. I have to wear a size 18 or XXL at Target and nearly everywhere else I wear a 16, XL or even L depending on the cut. When buying clothes now I focus on the fit not the number on the tag, it is so inconsistent sometimes.

Same here. I find most things from Target run really small. I bought a flowy shirt-dress from the women's department last week and it was about to rip off of me and I had to have my boyfriend pull me out. The tag said XXL but there is no way in hell. I have two other shirt dresses from there that are XLs and one dress from Juniors that is a L. Same with Jeans. I have 2 pairs of 18s from there that fall off of me and have tried on 3 pairs recently that I couldn't even button.
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options

low rise makes no sense at my size.

In my humble opinion, they make NO sense at any size :tongue:
    (trying to be funny NOT snarky - honest!! because they look like cr_p on me!!)