Any one doing Lent?

Options
If so, what are you giving up? I'm giving up fast food and social networking.

Replies

• jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I haven't met Lent. Is she cute? Meh, doesn't matter, I'd probably do her anyway.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I found some in my belly button this morning.
  • kelcileigh
    kelcileigh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about giving up all bread (just actual bread, white or whole wheat) as well as white flour products (pasta, rice, etc). I know it may kill me though...
  • beernpizza
    beernpizza Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Since i'm pregnant i'm not giving anything up that's food related. I'm going to give up negative thinking. Towards myself and others.
  • breezylee75
    breezylee75 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You are giving up social networking? Does that mean we won't hear from you for over a month? I was thinking of giving up either caffeine or alcohol...leaning more towards the alcohol...:)
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I am officially giving up working for a living. Ooops did that in Dec. Does it still count? If not, maybe beer for a month. :smile:
  • Kaathmandu
    Options
    Well, I've had my 'pancake Tuesday' breakout, for Lent I'm sticking to my diet - mostly fasting on Fridays - and adding some positive spiritual stuff - Mass, Stations -
    ... bring on Easter!
  • minibee12
    Options
    Since i'm pregnant i'm not giving anything up that's food related. I'm going to give up negative thinking. Towards myself and others.

Iwas just discussing with my bf the idea of giving up arguing and I think this idea of no negative thinking will help me do that. Thanks!
  • minibee12
    Options
    You are giving up social networking? Does that mean we won't hear from you for over a month? I was thinking of giving up either caffeine or alcohol...leaning more towards the alcohol...:)

No, I am thinking of social networks such as Tumblr, Twitter and Facebook. MFP is more focused on results and support rather than just mindless chittering.
  • minibee12
    Options
    I'm thinking about giving up all bread (just actual bread, white or whole wheat) as well as white flour products (pasta, rice, etc). I know it may kill me though...

I've done this before and it was TOTALLY worth it. I've never eaten bread that much after that. I went cold turkey on bread, even wheat products.
  • kelcileigh
    kelcileigh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    it's working out pretty well so far :) the real test will be my birthday in a few weeks!
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Have cut out all alcohol. Started 9 days ago, and plan to stick to it through Lent, and see if anything improves...
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    yup doing lent. Giving up candy, chocolate, chips, pretzels.. basically any sort of snacks except like crackers and pistachios
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Gave up beer. Went to a beer bar last night with a coworker and drank bad wine. I hate this already.
  • grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am but not until after the weekend. I know that sounds lame but I am defo starting on Monday. Probably against the rules but hey, what a ya gonna do
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options

Same here! I can't imagine giving up anything food related while pregnant! And anway, Lent isn't alwasy just about "giving up" something physical or mundane -the point of doing that is sacrifice, and the intent in sacrificing what we love, or subjecting oneself to a facet of asceticism is to become more mindful of the spiritual as opposed to the temporal. It's a call to mindfulness as well as to strengthen our relationship with God, because often times, personal and spiritual growth comes during times of aridity.

As such, I'm "giving up" my quick anger impulses towards others; those displays of anger do me no good, and it's a habit I would like to change so I don't set that example for my children.
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I don't know...is she hot?
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

How YOU doin.... My name's Lent :flowerforyou:
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Yep, giving up sweets...hope it goes well!
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options

How YOU doin.... My name's Lent :flowerforyou:

Ok yes...I wll be doing Lent