Do you think 2240 calories is a good idea?

Options

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Fat is a dietary necessity. Are you sure you heard correctly? And yes, it is possible for you to lose while eating 2300 calories if you work out and/or are larger with a high BMR and TDEE
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Is your nutritionist a dietitan? :) I'm not sure about where you live, but I think in many countries, the terms are not used interchangeably and a dietitian is a legally protected term, whereas "nutritionist" is not ;) not saying that your nutritionist doesn't know what he/she is talking about - just saying that not all nutritionist are subjected to the same testing by exams / professional bodies to earn their title.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I'm not necessarily going to comment on the exact amount as much as I'm going to focus on something else you mentioned... You said you were comfortable eating at the lower levels and you feel bloated when you eat at the level suggested. That is to be expected, and I'm speaking from experience.

Our bodies will get used to anything if you do it long enough and it will feel natural. Your body has gotten used to the lower calories and now it feels natural for you. Increasing to the higher calories will not feel natural at first. Your body is not used to digesting that much so there will be extra water retained, extra gases created, and some level of discomfort while your body adjusts to it. But it will adjust. It won't take long for 2240 to feel normal. In fact, you will come to see those lower levels differently... Like "how did I eat so little?"

That's where I'm at today. I netted 1200 for several months. At first it was hard and I was hungry a lot. Then it got easier; to the point that it felt "normal". Then I plateaued. I've now slowly increased my calories up to maintenance just to get my body used to that amount of food again. I felt horrible eating that much at first. Daily bloat had me feeling like crap each time I increased; but I stuck with it, and now 2500-2600 feels natural. I still have 20 pounds to go, and have actually gained a few pounds during this phase; again because I wasn't eating enough before, and my body got used to it. Now that maintenance feels "normal", I'm ready to cut again. But I learned my lesson, I'm not going to create as large a calorie deficit as I did before, because it's too difficult to get back to the levels of where I should be eating for the rest of my life.

The moral of the story - "Normal" is whatever you make it. If you eat too little for too long, you (and your body) will think it's normal. And this will be validated by how bad you feel when you "eat more". Pay no attention to this. Trust the numbers, not how you feel.

I agree with you absolutely!! You also explained this very clearly! Well done!
  • MinimizingMichelle
    MinimizingMichelle Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I will try it and see if it works after a month (:

If it's uncomfortable to eat that much, don't eat that much. You should eat what you're comfortable intaking. Stick with 1700 if that's what you feel good at.
  • krepthin
    krepthin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I said what I said because she had complaints about how it was working. Also, she's been here for 2 years and has not made much progress. Something needs to change.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a lot to me. Unless you are really tall, or do a lot of regular exercise or, I dunno, are doing manual labour all day.
    Eating higher protein probably is a good plan though.

I'm 5ft2 and have been losing very slowly (60lbs over 2 years) on 1200 a day and 1500 on exercise days.
  • DoneBroughtSexyBack
    Options
    All I needed to see was
    I should eat 2240 calories with 1/3 protein and 2/3 carbs

Wheres the fat!?! This guy doesn't know jack didly... sorry
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    In the words of Lyle Mcdonald - "just follow the program!"

Try it for a month, and see what happens.
  • arnfolly
    arnfolly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I agree with Samisad, it sounds like a maintenance plan. Also, check credentials. I have worked with nutritionists before and this sounds hinky. Also, the fat thing. Yeah, you do NEED fat in your diet. I realized after working with a nutritionist that was registered I was not getting enough, so I started using olive oil in some of my recipies and eating almonds. My hair is SO SOFT AND SHINY! :)
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Your nutritionist is merely one expert.

The internet if full of experts.

Who you gonna believe? One expert or all the experts?

But actually, your nutritionist's suggestion does seem a bit odd to me. And I'm an internet expert.

But seriously, get another professional opinion.
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have lost 90ish lbs eating 2200

ummm...your a dude and from your pic you lift weights....
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Hello! I still need to lose about 50 pounds and went to see a nutritionist for diet help. He calculated how much I should be eating and said I should eat 2240 calories with 1/3 protein and 2/3 carbs from fruits and veggies, no wheat, no grains, no fake sugars, only real ones.

The problem is, eating that many calories is uncomfortable now. I enjoy eating from 1300-1700 calories a day and I feel bloated when I'm supposed to meet my goal. I have another meeting with him next month and he'll be looking through my diary logs. Should I continue with what he said? I feel like its detrimental to my goals. Also, reaching my protein goal of 138 grams is killing me. So much protein!

Anyway thanks in advance!

Also I know I posted this already, but I think the title was scaring away a lot of people!

When you say 1/3 protein and 2/3 carbs, do you mean on your plate, or actual calorific value?

I can understand if it means eating a steak that takes up 1/3 of your plate, and you fill the other 2/3 with vegetables/carbs, but if it means calories, that doesn't make sense.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and weigh 145 lbs.

I eat 2300-2600 (2300 rest days, 2600 exercise days).

I don't work a desk job, but I don't really do "cardio" with the exception of just walking around the house. ;)
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    is eating 2200 good idea: probably yes
    but it will be mayor PITA to eat that much if 2/3 of your kcals are coming from fuit and veg
    why did he tell you to avaoid grains? are you intolerant?
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    You would be surprised at how much most people on this site are under eating.. As was said depending on height/weight/activity etc you can lose weight eating 2000+ calories.. and if its not comfortable slowly work your way up in calories.. cut the fat free foods, low calorie foods, cook with oils.. All this adds calories.. Your body gets used to eating so little that's why you feel full or don't get hungry, but that doesn't mean you don't need more for your body.
    Try it for 4-6 weeks and see what happens.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'd get a new nutritionist. My doctor told me (at 199lbs) to eat no more than 1400 calories a day. Low glycemic if possible. I also walk my dog 20-30 minutes 4 times a day, every day.

I would get a new doctor. I would trust a nutritionist more than a doctor. Doctors take more time learning how to write like crap than they do learning about nutrition.
  • djnosy1
    djnosy1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The nutritionist probably wants you as a client longer so he wants you to lose 0.5 lbs a week the "healthy" way
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Doctors take more time learning how to write like crap than they do learning about nutrition.

Ah, so that's what all that med school is for.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty high, but in the grand scheme of things 4 weeks is nothing, you paid for the advice so take it for the next 4 weeks and see what happens. It's worth a try. Give it the full 4 weeks. You easily need that long to see if something is going to work. If it doesn't then maybe look at seeing a dietitian... Or try out 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. Works for everyone I know who has tried it. Also seems odd to be cutting foods out if you don't have intolerances. I can see why your skeptical and confused, but just give it the 4 weeks and see what happens!

Zara
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    fat? 1/3 pro 2/3 carbs.. no fat? I'd say more than 2000 is to many unless you are super active ( active job and 5-7 days of exercise). I agree with no grains/sugars tho. If I were you, I'd start by just adding 100-200 calories to what you eat now, and then increasing later. I wouldn't just jump to 2400 from 1500.