All the Little People (5"1 and under)

Hi, being short makes weight loss super tough, cuz we need to eat less i and every pound shows up bigger on a smaller person.

what's your height, weight, size, and goal? what is your frame - small, medium, or big boned? what do you think is a reasonable expectation for weight loss? if you've been losing weight or maintaining, how many calories a day are you doing?

i'll start with me:
I am 5". I weigh 180 lbs (been yoying from 160-190 the past 2 years). i am currently size 12-14 US
I have a medium sized bones but am curvy - small waist, huge hips and breasts.
I think, reasonably, if i wanted to lose healthy? 50lbs in a year, and be 130. that i think i could maintain that permanently. lower, i might yoyo again.

i eat approx. 1600 calories a day but would reduce that after i lose more weight.

Replies

• I understand your struggle. I am 5' 3/4" tall. I am at 216 lbs right now. Starting weight battle on Sept 9th. Have lost a total of 25.6 lbs. Yoyo'd myself during the holidays. I have a medium to large bone structure. My weight tends to rest in my shoulders and upper arms. Mid section also. Struggling to stay around 1250-1300 calories.
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    I too understand your struggle as I am a shorty, too. I am 5' 3/4" well 5'1 and weigh 184 lbs. I am medium structure. I carry most of my weight in my stomach area and struggle to stay at 1250 cals daily. My GW is between 125 - 130 lbs.
  • Louder4
    Louder4 Posts: 57 Member
    Short stuff here too! 5" 1 here, currently at 148, goal is somewhere around 125 lbs. I always used to think that I had a small frame, but after I had my 4th kid I now think I have a medium build. I am a pear shape, all my extra weight goes right to my hips. I started my officially mfp journey before Christmas, but didn't get my head in the game until after New Years. I am losing, it is just very, very slow. I constantly have to remind myself that it wouldn't be healthy to lose 5+++lbs per week, slow and steady wins the race.
  • Short Stuff here too, I'm 5-0 (with a deep breath) Medium build. I am currently 174 down from 224, my goal weight is 125-130. I think it really depends on the muscle weight. I think it could easily vary up to 10 pounds. I'm on the 1200 calorie daily and exercise about 6 days a week.
  • muggs1090
    muggs1090 Posts: 45 Member
    I also am 60" and about 172. I am looking to be 120-130 range. I havent figured out my cal range, when I stick to 1200 I do good for a few days and then my brain goes haywire and binge. I am thinking I should up my cal to about 1400 and hoping that will keep me more even keel.
  • mats613
    mats613 Posts: 47 Member
    wow, it sounds like the shorties out there need to resort to 1200 - 1300 a day to keep up weight loss. yikes! but the weight loss will be so worth it, that i know. i couldn't possibly eat so little at this point, i guess i'll have to gradually reduce over the next few weeks so my stomach gets used to it and adjusts.

do you feel like you're 'starving' at that caloric level or its fine?

i feel so normal knowing most of us are around 170-180 at least.
    all those itsy pitsy friends that are like "OMG i'm so fat i'm 135 OMG i HAVE to lose this weight' and i'm thinking "DIE!!!!!!" lol.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    I'm 4'11, I started at 130 and want to be around 115, I'm down to 123 at the moment. I'd say I'm small framed.

Even at the weight I am now, it's amazing the difference around the waist. Clothes already look better but sure enough, if I gain anything you can tell.
  • mats613
    I'm 4'11, I started at 130 and want to be around 115, I'm down to 123 at the moment. I'd say I'm small framed.

Even at the weight I am now, it's amazing the difference around the waist. Clothes already look better but sure enough, if I gain anything you can tell.

its probably cuz ur small boned that the little lbs show. that's a whole other challenge, no?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    I'm 5'1" and lose on 1570 cals/day. I'm currently eating for maintenance plus regaining strength after time off due to surgery, and I'm not counting calories for that, just eating healthy food and plenty of protein when I'm hungry.

my main goals are strength based, e.g. being able to bench, deadlift etc very heavy weights. Someone posted a video of different kinds of push-ups, so I added being able to do them to my goal list.

I also want to reduce my body fat percentage (currently 22%, would like it to be 18-20%) and increase my lean body mass (goal = 105lb lean body mass) my weight can be whatever it is when I get there. I'm large framed and have always been stronger than average, so my weight is at the top of the BMI range for my height, and it's staying that way.

being short does mean eating fewer calories than a taller person, but if you're fit, strong and active you can still eat a lot. I used to be obese and I'm now at maintenance, and the lowest number of calories (when I first started losing weight when I was obese and had more to lose) I was eating 1300 cals/day. As I got closer to goal, I upped that to 1400 cals/day then 1500 cals/day. The fat loss got slower, but I wanted to be sure that I was only losing fat, not lean body mass. I currently maintain at around 1800-1900 cals/day, possibly more than that currently as I haven't been tracking my nutrition for a while, but my weight is steady and I eat a LOT.
  • erinmarispini
    erinmarispini Posts: 25 Member
    I'm 4'10...current weight is 165 down from 181. My goal weight is 115. I try and stay around 1200 calories a day. I did the wrist test to find out my body frame and it said I was large boned. I considered myself more medium but whatever....

Anyone please feel free to add me as a friend
  • mats613
    I'm 5'1" and lose on 1570 cals/day. I'm currently eating for maintenance plus regaining strength after time off due to surgery, and I'm not counting calories for that, just eating healthy food and plenty of protein when I'm hungry.

my main goals are strength based, e.g. being able to bench, deadlift etc very heavy weights. Someone posted a video of different kinds of push-ups, so I added being able to do them to my goal list.

I also want to reduce my body fat percentage (currently 22%, would like it to be 18-20%) and increase my lean body mass (goal = 105lb lean body mass) my weight can be whatever it is when I get there. I'm large framed and have always been stronger than average, so my weight is at the top of the BMI range for my height, and it's staying that way.

being short does mean eating fewer calories than a taller person, but if you're fit, strong and active you can still eat a lot. I used to be obese and I'm now at maintenance, and the lowest number of calories (when I first started losing weight when I was obese and had more to lose) I was eating 1300 cals/day. As I got closer to goal, I upped that to 1400 cals/day then 1500 cals/day. The fat loss got slower, but I wanted to be sure that I was only losing fat, not lean body mass. I currently maintain at around 1800-1900 cals/day, possibly more than that currently as I haven't been tracking my nutrition for a while, but my weight is steady and I eat a LOT.

wow, you packed some really good information into this post. it's good to know you can still lose on 1500 a day, i do think that sounds more reasonable and less daunting.

the truth is its how much fat and how big you are that matters more. like, when i was a size 6 i was 150 lbs and my friend was 120 at that size. some pple have more muscle or heavier bones.

is 18% body fat healthy for women?

how much cardio/strength training do you do a day? i'm curious to know ur activity level.
  • neandermagnon

wow, you packed some really good information into this post. it's good to know you can still lose on 1500 a day, i do think that sounds more reasonable and less daunting.

the truth is its how much fat and how big you are that matters more. like, when i was a size 6 i was 150 lbs and my friend was 120 at that size. some pple have more muscle or heavier bones.

how much cardio/strength training do you do a day? i'm curious to know ur activity level.

18% is healthy. Even as low as 15% can be healthy if you have strong muscles and bones, do exercise and eat enough to feed your body. Starving yourself down to 15% and ending up with weak bones and muscles and low body fat is not healthy, which is why some people will consider 15% body fat not healthy. It really depends how you get there. It's very difficult for women to sustain body fat levels lower than this, and personally I'm not planning on going that low. Usually the healthy range is quoted as around 18-28%, with younger women being advised to be lower in the range, and older women a little higher in the range. at 15% women who lift heavy usually have muscle definition, e.g. visible abs (although if you starve down to 15% you just look starved), at 18% there's less visible definition but you still look fit and strong. Personally I like both looks (i.e. visible definition or just looking fit and strong without definition) but I'm more focused on being strong than what I look like at the moment.

I don't do much cardio, although I'm quite active, i.e. I walk to places and take the stairs not the lift. I live on the 2nd floor (3rd floor in US English) and often carry my toddler or heavy shopping bags up the stairs instead of taking the lift. I do weightlifting 3-4 times a week, and I lift heavy and to failure. I also like to keep my exercise routines varied, so sometimes I do more cardio, and I also do bodyweight exercises like push-ups along with the weight training.
  • mats613

18% is healthy. Even as low as 15% can be healthy if you have strong muscles and bones, do exercise and eat enough to feed your body. Starving yourself down to 15% and ending up with weak bones and muscles and low body fat is not healthy, which is why some people will consider 15% body fat not healthy. It really depends how you get there. It's very difficult for women to sustain body fat levels lower than this, and personally I'm not planning on going that low. Usually the healthy range is quoted as around 18-28%, with younger women being advised to be lower in the range, and older women a little higher in the range. at 15% women who lift heavy usually have muscle definition, e.g. visible abs (although if you starve down to 15% you just look starved), at 18% there's less visible definition but you still look fit and strong. Personally I like both looks (i.e. visible definition or just looking fit and strong without definition) but I'm more focused on being strong than what I look like at the moment.

I don't do much cardio, although I'm quite active, i.e. I walk to places and take the stairs not the lift. I live on the 2nd floor (3rd floor in US English) and often carry my toddler or heavy shopping bags up the stairs instead of taking the lift. I do weightlifting 3-4 times a week, and I lift heavy and to failure. I also like to keep my exercise routines varied, so sometimes I do more cardio, and I also do bodyweight exercises like push-ups along with the weight training.

i love that you focus on your health and well-being more than appearance. that's such a positive outlook.

for now, the dream of skinny me is what motivates me. but truth be told, i'd rather be strong and fit at 140 lbs than emaciated and slim at 115.

thank you.
  • shannonsky
    shannonsky Posts: 75 Member
    I'm 5'2" and losing steadily at ~1700 cals/day. I have a couple goals this year - 1) get to a healthy BMI; 2) run a half marathon; 3) get back to lifting. Once I get down to that healthy BMI (which is 132lbs), I'm going to switch focus and worry about BF% instead of the scale. My goal there is 20%.
  • Hi everyone,

Well, this is kind of embarrassing. I'm a 5'1 GUY! Most of my life I've been teased or have been the basis of many jokes. Throughout the years I've learned to cope with it. I'm at 159 lb. I dropped to 153, but regained 6 lb. and bf% dropped to 17%.

Tall or short... anything is possible!
  • mats613
    I'm 5'2" and losing steadily at ~1700 cals/day. I have a couple goals this year - 1) get to a healthy BMI; 2) run a half marathon; 3) get back to lifting. Once I get down to that healthy BMI (which is 132lbs), I'm going to switch focus and worry about BF% instead of the scale. My goal there is 20%.

thank you Shannon - how long did it take you to drop those 10 lbs at that level of calorie intake?
  • mats613
    Hi everyone,

Well, this is kind of embarrassing. I'm a 5'1 GUY! Most of my life I've been teased or have been the basis of many jokes. Throughout the years I've learned to cope with it. I'm at 159 lb. I dropped to 153, but regained 6 lb. and bf% dropped to 17%.

Tall or short... anything is possible!

it's tougher to be short when ur a guy, cuz with girls it can still be cute, but with guys it's a 'status' thing. but guys r allowed to weigh more due to muscles. 17% bf sounds very healthy for a guy
  • neandermagnon

i love that you focus on your health and well-being more than appearance. that's such a positive outlook.

for now, the dream of skinny me is what motivates me. but truth be told, i'd rather be strong and fit at 140 lbs than emaciated and slim at 115.

thank you.

thank you :flowerforyou: I want to be strong, fit and healthy and looks come 2nd place to that. The bonus is that it's not really an either/or situation, because strong, fit and healthy looks great too.
  • kiannarb
    kiannarb Posts: 42 Member
    I'm 5"1 at 207 lbs'. And have always struggled with my weight. Most of my weight is in my chest (38 DDD) and my upper body. My goal it to be about 145, a fit, muscular 145. i beleive i can achieve this goal. And when I think about it, its not a lot of weight to loss. its probably something I can do in less than a year, if I try. I feel that would work well with my built. Any less than 130 would probably make me look awkward.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    I am not short... or little *crosses arms, puts nose in air with defiance*

I am vertically challanged... or in other words "fun sized"...

At 5'1" I hit my highest weight at 176.... while I desire to lose weight and get back to my lowest of my adult life of 125... I find it hard to keep the motivation...
  • i'm 5"1 and am currently about 120 lbs. when i started on MFP about a year ago, i was 150 lbs. it's true, keeping weight off being so short is definitely more challenging, but it doesn't mean it's not possible! i lost 35 lbs in about seven months, and it took 100% focus and dedication every day. it was definitely hard, especially since i'm in college and being in that sort of environment isn't exactly the most "supportive" when it comes to weight loss. but i promise, take it one day at a time, set tangible goals, log everything you eat (and stop eating dairy and meat! it'll help with your weight loss soooo much), exercise every day, stay positive, and you'll see results! they say it takes 4 weeks for you to notice a change in your own body, 8 weeks for your close family and friends to notice, and 12 weeks for the world to notice. give it 12 weeks :) you can do it!
  • DKrisAn
    DKrisAn Posts: 43 Member
    I am also 5'1 at 181lbs. I want to get down to about 115-120lbs. I am fairly muscular for a woman. Once I am at around 140lbs I will reevalulate my goals. It is taking my full determination to lose this weight. Since January 2, I have lost 8lbs.
  • JemS_21
    JemS_21 Posts: 27 Member
    I'm 5'0, mediumish build...not too sure what that means but im not huge n not tiny either.
    im 143lbs but would like to get down to about 110lbs to be healthy
    i only just joined this today. i've been putting on weight/losing weight/putting on back on forth since i moved home from uni in the last 18 months and this is the biggest i've ever been at a UK clothes size 12/14. i don't look huge but would like to lose some weight esp from my stomach n hips (arms too!) n tone up.

i started my 30 days no chocolate/no alcohol challenge on Sunday 10th Feb
    the no alcohol is easy, the chocolate slightly more difficult as i snack on sweet things but luckily these first 3 days have been ok and i even said No to some today without thinking about it :smile:

I'm great at starting diets/exercise...rubbish at sticking them out so need to make sure im gettin a kick up the backside occasionally!

but it is really motivating to know that it does work and is acheivable!
    i've found my motivation to be my jeans! sounds odd..but i have a pair of jeans i absolutely love that completely shows my curves and my great bum *vain moment* :laugh: HOWEVER i no longer wear them as they feel tight and no longer comfortable.
    i'm keeping them though as my aim is to lose weight tone up n love myself again and fit into my amazing jeans!

:love:
  • Hey everyone,

I have grown to perfection at 5'1" ;) I just started again the on February 10 at 168.6lb and now I'm at 167.2lb. Last year I was down to 153.4lb after a juice fast and then getting into running. Unfortunately, I had a pretty bad accident in May and didn't get back into it until now. I am lucky because my husband is on board and we support each other. MFP is a great motivation for me and keeps me on track. Another trick that I used last time when I lost the weight was to challenge myself to go to the gym every day. I wrote out a training plan, so I knew what to do, but gave myself the freedom to just do 20 min of easy biking if I didn't feel good or was still sore from the day before. But I had to go to the gym. This put me into the habit of adding fitness into my schedule and not putting it of (we all know how it goes... the first week you make it 4 times, then 3, then once and then every other week...). I just started this commitment again two days ago, but this time it is easier, because I know I can do it! AND... I am getting married in July, so there is another huge motivational factor!

I am looking forward to hearing more stories of people with the same goals, and shorty-problems. Does anyone who already lost some weight have any before and after pictures? I would love to see a realistic image of how it'll look....15lb 30lb 45lb down the line... so I can have some positive reinforcement through visualization!
  • Persianpug
    Persianpug Posts: 3 Member
    I am so glad that this topic is being brought up. I am 4'11 and weigh 145. I am not sure what size I wear because I will wear anything that fits and looks decent. I refuse to buy new clothes, I just want to fit in my old clothes. I would love to weight 125 but will settle for 130. I was 130 but last year I was planning my wedding and the stress made me eat none stop (and drink). Anyways, I have been trying very hard to stay within the 1200 - 1300 cal range but that doesn't seem to work for me. I eat healthy enough but I always end up going over and is very discouraging. Oh and when I do keep in my range I am STARVING. I am working out-I aim for 3 times a week, but usually do 1 day. I am anemic and so I feel like I have to eat red meat which I know is high in calories but I need to get my iron from as many sources as I can.

So if anyone has suggestions for my little issue it would be greatly appreciated!
  • shannonsky
    shannonsky Posts: 75 Member

thank you Shannon - how long did it take you to drop those 10 lbs at that level of calorie intake?

I keep putting it back on (not at 1700 calories...I just suck at staying focused), but so long as I stick to it, I lose 1-3lbs/week, on average.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    I am 5'1" and 140. Looking to get to 115-120. I am staying around 1200-1300 calories a day.
    EDIT: I am a small frame.

Tried doing the 'eat more weight less' thing, and it just didn't work for me, I gained weight, and I couldn't lose. Once I dropped to 1200, I lost, but now I'm stuck. Was over 160, so I know I can lose weight.

If anybody would like to add me, please send a message so I know who you are!
  • roughneckswife
    roughneckswife Posts: 341 Member
    I'm 5'1, started at 252...HORRIBLE for someone my height!
    I'm currently 221!
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    I'm 4'11, 120.5lbs (down from 148lbs when I joined Spring/Summer 2010). I've gotten as low as 115lbs twice since joining MFP -- January 2012 I was 115lbs, but then I changed jobs in March and my dog passed away in April, I stopped tracking calories and I wound up around 125lbs in the summer. I was a bridesmaid in a wedding October 2012 so I worked my butt off to get to 115lbs and squeeze in a size four strapless dress! Two days after the wedding, hurricane Sandy hit my home on Long Island and I was without heat, power, hot water, and fresh food for thirteen days -- I gained twelve pounds in those thirteen days, bringing me back up to 127lbs!! Months and months of progress lost, I was devastated but it was hard for me to get back into a healthy routine.

Right before New Year's Eve I decided to join a gym and get healthy and active again. Since January 1st, I've lost 4.5lbs. I set a goal to run/jog/walk 125 miles by Valentine's day, and as long as I do my usual 3-4 miles tomorrow and Thursday, I'll reach that goal! I weigh in every ten days, and I net around 1400-1500 calories daily. I try to burn 300-500 calories, mostly via cardio. Not because I hate strength training, just because I really enjoy running. When I first started on MFP I netted 1000-1200 calories and my only exercise was 30-45 minutes of walking and 30DS. I lost the majority of my weight that way but I was always hungry and miserable.

My goal is to get to 110lbs. I currently wear size 4-6 jeans and dresses, I'd like to be a size or so smaller. I weighed 97lbs in high school so maybe my super long term goal is to get to that shape again, but for now I don't think that's realistic, especially since I gain weight so easily! I did recently learn that my chronic migraines are triggered by my favorite foods (chocolate, deli meats, and most nuts/nut products) and that cutting them out might make a world of difference for my head and my body!
  • reneeroberts_88
    reneeroberts_88 Posts: 31 Member
    I am 4'11 and weigh 142 today. ( weigh in tomorrow hoping for lower). I wear size 2short in jeans. I carry a lot of weight on my butt legs and stomach. Problem areas!!!! Although since losing weight and noticing my body, I see more fat everywhere!!!! I do my own thing with a nutritionist as far as my calories. ( I won't post because that causes uproars from so many ppl) I don't feel hungry but my problem sticking to calories is I want high high calorie treats! Cakes, little Debbie's, ice cream!!!! I work out 6 days a week and have one rest day. I weigh every other week and the week I don't weigh, I take my measurements. Hoping with the workouts that if one doesn't move the other will! I just want to feel great on the beach and in my boutique clothes!!! We all know the boutique shops sizes run crazy! I wish everyone luck! Feel free to add me! But Be supportive! ( biggest pet peeve with mfp users) I have an open diary to friends!