Help with morning routine for a night owl

Options
I'm a night owl but I've come to accept that I need to get a morning workout fit into my schedule. I need some advice from someone else who has or had the same kind of circadian rhythm I do.

I appreciate people's desire to give encouragement but what I need are strategies that will help me get up at least 2 hrs before my natural clock wants me too.

If you get tired before 1am and can't sleep through an alarm blaring at you for an hour because the sun isn't up then you probably can't relate to my problem. I know migraine sufferers are usually in the same boat as me when it comes to sleep patterns but overall we're on the rare side.

So any fellow night owls or former night owls who've managed to convert?

Replies

• 8goodgirl0
    8goodgirl0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello, found this link on another thread because I am having a similar problem.
    Don't know if it will be useful: http://www.shape.com/lifestyle/mind-and-body/7-steps-become-morning-exerciser
  • Fredrigo
    Fredrigo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks for article. I can say I try every one of things already unfortunately. I have been having some success with setting multiple alarms. I have 1 alarm go off playing gentle music 15 minutes before my target "get out of bed" time. A second alarm programmed with a more energetic song starts repeating at my target time and finally 2 different alarms which are literally just noisy alarms on different ends of the room start going off 15 minutes after I wanted to get up.

So far this seems to be working if I get up before the final alarms 5 days in a row I move the whole schedule back 5 minutes. I now have enough time to put on and take off my workout clothes but hopefully I'll be able squeeze in a 5 minute walk soon and once that's in place I'm on my way to a habit.
  • 8goodgirl0
    8goodgirl0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I get up and snooze my alarm, get back into bed, get up in 5 mins, go back. Ridiculous.

Good to take it one step at a time. I was thinking of splashing cold water on my face.
  • dowesney
    dowesney Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am also a night owl and absolutely hate mornings. I am not sure waking up two hours earlier will give you the results you want. If you are just worn out during the day, your attitude will suffer. Why not fit in a workout later in the day instead of early in the morning?
  • Fredrigo
    Options
    I try to get an afternoon workout in but too many things pop up at work or with family, so The later in the day I have something scheduled the more likely it will be postponed. On weekends and holidays I can get morning exercise in no problem and I'll admit I like how it feels for the rest of the day. I'm not concerned about being tired I feel fine on very little sleep it's just a problem of when my body wants to sleep. If I worked noon to 8 this wouldn't be an issue but my profession isn't that flexible.
  • Mamalea32
    Options
    I thrive on my 4 a.m. morning workouts. Here are my motivations:
    1. It is the only quiet "me time" that I get all day long.
    2. It is thereputic for me.
    3. When I don't get moving first thing in the morning, I know that I will be sluggish and feel lazy throughout the rest of the day.
    4. I know that after work I will be too dang tired for a workout.
    My strategy to get up... I do not stop and think when the alarm rings. I get up quickly. I don't have time to decide if I'm tired. My gym clothes are set up next to my toothbrush. I get dressed and ready without giving it a moment of thought. DON'T THINK ABOUT IT, BE ABOUT IT.
  • Fredrigo
    Options
    I thrive on my 4 a.m. morning workouts. Here are my motivations:
    1. It is the only quiet "me time" that I get all day long.
    2. It is thereputic for me.
    3. When I don't get moving first thing in the morning, I know that I will be sluggish and feel lazy throughout the rest of the day.
    4. I know that after work I will be too dang tired for a workout.
    My strategy to get up... I do not stop and think when the alarm rings. I get up quickly. I don't have time to decide if I'm tired. My gym clothes are set up next to my toothbrush. I get dressed and ready without giving it a moment of thought. DON'T THINK ABOUT IT, BE ABOUT IT.

This isn't about not being motivated to get up it's about the portion of my brain that controls sleep responding differently to sunlight it's common among Migraine sufferers but no one knows why yet. I've had plenty of sleep studies and confirmed it's neurological not behavioral. I appreciate your input but I would be more likely to get a 4am workout in before going to sleep (which I tried and just resulted in me not being able to sleep at all).

I don't mean to sound snarky and I do believe you want to help but this isn't about being sluggish in the morning it's about literally fighting against neurology. Like trying to write with the other hand.