Please read and help...very discouraged

Options
Hi everyone,

I am feeling very discouraged today, as I have been trying to lead a healthy lifestyle since the first of the year and have hardly seen any results. I have a wedding and beach honeymoon to lose this weight for at the end of April, and am feeling like it just isn't going to happen despite my efforts! I am trying so hard not to get upset, but I can feel it so I thought I would post on here for help or at least support.

Here's some info about me: I am 23 years old, 5'4", and currently weigh 155-ish lbs. My healthy weight for my body type (and my goal) is 140-ish lbs. Currently I have my calories set to 1,310 which was set according to the site's calculators. I got a similar result with that excellent "roadmap" post's site. I currently work out 5 days a week, doing varying intervals on a bike for 30 minutes, along with minimal free weights, crunches, and push ups. Within the past week I have added a workout video called "Strong Body, Fit Body" to my routine, to increase my "body sculpting" part of my workouts. I usually burn about 300 calories every time I work out, and eat those calories back with a little treat (or just extra food), which means I am eating about 1,600/day and burning 300 through working out (so not starving myself).

For my diet, I am trying to eat a good amount of protein. An example of an average day's food for me is: breakfast: egg and ham on english muffin, lunch: turkey/ham/cheese on wheat toast plus fruit or some celery, dinner: a good sized chicken breast, and then often I will have a "bedtime snack" (I have a crazy sweet tooth) like nesquik, a cookie, etc (basically sweet junk food, but in a controlled amount). I also drink roughly 32oz of water a day. I don't drink soda either (diet OR regular). I give myself one cheat day a week, usually when the fiance and I go out on saturdays since he isn't very concerned about eating anything healthy (and how can i resist when he's shoving pizza in his face right in front of me, a salad or grilled chicken breast looks like crap compared to that!).

One last note that might help...I have been diagnosed with IBS, and experience bloating a lot, which really messes with my measurements (and self esteem). However, idk if this really matters as I was able to stay around 140-145 with IBS. Also, last july i had a laparoscopy for endometriosis, and at the same time had an apendectomy (had my appendix removed). Since that surgery I have gained roughly 10lbs.

Anyway, that is enough of me complaining and explaining...again, I feel like i am doing everything i should and i am very discouraged because nothing has really happened. The only result I have seen is I've lost 1 inch off my stomach, but that's from doing ab work so now my abs are a little tighter and I'm a little less bloated all the time. I do feel stronger (went from 1 pushup to 12!), but I don't understand why this increased strength isn't translating to weight loss.

thanks in advance for your help and support, I really need it :(

<ash

Replies

• CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm new here, and certainly no expert, but could the bread that you're eating be slowing down your progress? The gluten may be exacerbating your IBS and hindering your weight loss. Perhaps if you cut out all gluten products and replaced them with ground flaxseed or something similar (suggestions anyone?), you would see some fast progress.

Also, you are under an enormous amount of stress due to your upcoming wedding. Stress is not good for weight loss. Try to find ways to relax! You aren't just preparing for your wedding - you're preparing for your marriage to the man you love! :)
  • Evagem
    Evagem Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Just keep going and eventually, it will all come together. You may need to play with the number of your exercise calories you eat. Remember that we are all different but I do find that I can only eat a small portion of my exercise calories or I will not lose. Additionally, I have found I have to have at least a small amount of protein after my workouts in order lose (I am currently doing 1 teaspoon of peanut butter and that seems to help).

And I know it is easier said than done, but do try to relax and get some rest. This is one area that I personally struggle with and know that both can have a negative impact on your weightloss goals.

Good luck with your wedding and enjoy your honeymoon!
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I also recommend ditching the wheat and reading "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You sound like a good candidate for yoga! You can burn calories and relax at the same time.

With IBS, you also sound like a good candidate for cutting out the grains. Your sweet tooth is likely aggravating your condition. Check out the South Beach diet for some ideas on curbing those sweet cravings. The only thing is, lower carb diets tend to incorporate a lot of nuts, so you will need a good high protein substitute for that. Can you tolerate peanut butter? Hummus?

When is your fitting for your wedding dress?

Most importantly, remember that this guy lives you as you are! A few pounds here or there isn't going to affect that.
  • TheMrsGlock
    TheMrsGlock Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I actually DID just pick up a yoga DVD yesterday to try...we will have to see i guess! My fitting is mid-march, so i have about a month until then. I WAS wondering about cutting out bread, but it's just so tough. I've cut it out of dinner though, so that's a start!!

With the gluten...I did think that maybe the gluten could be a problem, but when I was tested for IBS i was also tested for gluten intolerance and it turned out negative. could gluten still be the problem even without an intolerance?
  • TheMrsGlock
    TheMrsGlock Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    and yes, i tolerate nuts just fine :)
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Options
    i have no advice but keep trying things and give every change a few weeks. i struggle with a sweet tooth as well and it hinders me really bad. I have hit another plataue but get up every morning and try again. Maybe some muscle building may help?
  • DarkAngel262
    DarkAngel262 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Even though you gave us a daily outlook of your diet, try opening up your diary for people to look at. There are hidden little sodium and sugar ninjas that can sneak up on you and you might not see or realize!
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Just remember that muscle weights more than fat! And cut back the protein on days that you don't work out! And sodium makes you retain water, which may account for some of it. Keep trying and don't give up! :)
  • racing5j
    racing5j Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Be aware that with added exercise expecialy weight you will loose fat and build muscle :) your scale wont show that. Stick with it and make small changes youll get there .
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You could cut out the bread for a week and see if that gives you any results. I gave up bread for about 2 weeks and lost 2 pounds. I also stopped having so many headaches.
  • nadz6012
    nadz6012 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Do you log on your cheat day? If you're only at a 500 calorie deficit per day, a cheat day can really undo a lot of that hard work. Plus losing a pound per week is great, but can really be easily masked by water weight, etc. Keep creating a deficit, and you'll lose!
  • jahilmer
    Options
    I am in a hospital program. This has worked for me but I AM NOT an expert. I have to watch the Fat grams for this "Fit For Life" program. We have a dietician, nurse, physical trainer and doctors on board. I try to keep my fat grams to 50 g/day. I also try to keep carbs around 150. I exercise 45-60 minutes AT LEAST 5 days/week. I wear a Fitbit and try to get 10,000steps/day AT LEAST.

When I eat out... my husband and I split the meal....we look for healthy choices together, example: small side salad or soup instead of fries.....we eat very little pizza...too many carbs (maybe giros sandwiches with lettuce, tomatoes, etc). Wear an "I CAN" pin. Remember...YOU CAN! You can say "no".

I try to not eat back my exercise calories....most machines give you more calories burnt than you actually have coming...I use a Polar HRM-7 monitor to tell me my EXACT calories burnt. At the end of the week....I try to have 3000- 3500 calories that I have not consumed. When I do that, I lose 1 pd/week. If I have 2000-2500 calories left unconsumed....I lose 1/2 pds/week. I do the shopping...not him. He can eat crud....I don't follow suit. I eat lots of salads and more fruit....my plate has a picture on it. The meat, bread crap gets 1/4 space....period. The fruit and veggies predominate. I eat meat but more pork, chicken, fish than I did before. I eat open face sandwiches....ditch bread, crackers, rice, noodles. Hope this helps but really...you are not very over weight...You should do that Yoga....I think it would help you relax. Hope this helped. Jane
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Your loss of an inch is not from ab work, not possible. You have lost an inch of fat. With the small amount you need to lose, that's good progress for 6 weeks. Be patient, keep it up, you are doing well.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have IBS also. I resisted the idea of eliminating wheat for years. But a few months ago I started to cut down on wheat and have noticed an improvement. I could not do it all at once and am not totally wheat free yet but I no longer eat bread and have no craving for it at all. Cookies are another matter but they are few and far between. Perhaps the bloating is masking your actual real progress as it affects the scale number (water weight) and the measurements. Keep on with your program. It sound good to me. You could consider leaving off some of your exercise cals for a couple of weeks and see if that makes a difference.

Mentally, stay upbeat as possible and know you will be a radiant bride no matter what your weight is. Focus on how strong you are becoming which is a huge improvement in your overall health. Above all, hang in there and do not give up. Ani
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    The only thing you are doing wrong is over-expecting. Your diet and exercise sound fine. Weight-loss is VERY SLOW and having just started, your body has to adjust. Just keep doing what you are doing and be patient. And Honey, and inch off your belly already is AWESOME progress. Be proud of what you've accomplished so far.

For a quick fix, watch your sodium and sugar intake. Avoid processed foods. Stick mainly to lean protein and non starchy veggies. I don't recommend this for long term, however.

For long-term, I believe in "all things in moderation".
  • jahilmer
    Options
    Yes...open up diary and friend me if you like what I wrote you. Jane in Montana
  • MsipiGRITS
    MsipiGRITS Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You are doing great things and should be proud of that! Even if the pounds aren't where you would like them to be, I am sure you are much firmer and stronger than when you started. That said, I have found for me that 'what' I am eating really makes a difference in losing/gaining/maintaining, even within the same calorie range. When my diet includes too much simple carbs/sugar (I too have a HUGE sweet tooth!), I gain and/or don't lose. So, you may want to look at the 'composition' of your calories in your food diary and note what it was during times you were losing and/or gaining. It may give you some insight to foods that do not work with your body's processing chemistry. Also, I note a big difference when I am not getting enough fluids. This is an area where I really struggle, as I just get so busy I don't think of taking a drink. Now, I am also trying to see if drinking more of the sugar free flavor sticks make a difference, as I was drinking those waaayyy too much vs regular water. When I am drinking more water only with no additives, my body seems to work more efficiently. So, you may want to increase your water intake. My doctor recommends getting between 40 and 60 ounces per day minimum in fluids, preferably pure old water. Hope that helps... Good luck!
  • mpsova
    Options
    I feel like I'm in almost the exact same situation! I want to lose 13 more pounds for my wedding in September - first dress fitting is mid April. The past two weeks my scale hasn't budged, despite "doing all the right things" with calories, nutrition, and working out.

I weighed myself this morning and gained .4 pounds since my last weigh in - talk about discouraging. It was so upsetting that I made the decision to put my scale in my closet and not touch it for a couple weeks. While I know fluctuations in weight occur because of muscle gain, water weight, and digestive issues, the lack of numerical progress is a huge demoralizer.
  • MallorieGreiner
    MallorieGreiner Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Just remember that muscle weights more than fat! And cut back the protein on days that you don't work out! And sodium makes you retain water, which may account for some of it. Keep trying and don't give up! :)

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat.
    A pound of muscle=a pound of fat.
    Muscle takes up LESS space than fat. Therefore, you could be 150 lbs of muscle but be way tinier who someone who weighs the same with little muscle.