What to eat at this restaurant? Calorie counts are insane!

Options
I'm going to Bailey's Pub right after work for an event and will be there for 3+ hours, so have to eat dinner there. I'll have about 700 calories left - but even the salads are more than that (doesn't look like they have any light dressing)! Can anyone give me some advice on what to eat? (Please don't say just eat, cheat, whatever - I'm looking for specific recs on what I make healthier/fit into 700 cals. The food isn't very good so I don't want to splurge on something that doesn't even taste good). I don't eat seafood but everything else is fine.

I was thinking the Jamaican Chicken- 921 calories, Two grilled chicken breasts, marinated in sweet soy sauce, pineapple and ginger. Served with black beans, rice and fresh steamed broccoli. If I don't eat the rice, can I subtract the rice calories (big easy rice says 423 calories, or rice pilaf for 300)?

Menu:
http://www.foxandhound.com/party-starters.aspx

Nutrition info:
http://foxandhound.com/Portals/0/pdf/fhnutrition.pdf

I know I'm being anal about this but its the only way this works for me, so if anyone has any helpful advice its much appreciated, thank you!

Replies

• volleygirl1980
    volleygirl1980 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'd probably eat half the cheese pizza or jamaican chicken and have a side salad..

I went to a burger place the other day where the smallest burger was 1000 calories. They had salads, but I really wanted a burger. So, I ordered the smallest one, ate half and ordered a small salad on the side..(instead of fries). Had water instead of my usual iced tea. My meal probably ended up being around 700 calories..

My husband ordered a giant burger with fries and had a chocolate milkshake..his meal probaby rang in at over 3000 calories (he usually eats quite well, so this was a treat for him)..

I'd say get what you want, but eat an amount that would fit within your 700 calories. Chicken is a good option..
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Even the side salad is 647 calories though! I don't understand these calorie counts at all :(. And like for the chicken, if I subtract the rice, its 500 calories - that doesn't sound right for 2 chicken breasts, sauce, broccoli, and beans, it should be more shouldn't it? Half the cheese pizza would be good if only I could get a normal side salad that wasn't 647 calories!

I'm really shocked to see these numbers, how can a place not have anything remotely healthy?
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    If you want the field greens side salad you could ask for it without cheese or bacon and have the dressing on the side. Then dip your fork in the dressing for each bit instead of pouring the whole thing on.

You can do that with any of the salads to make them fewer calories, really. Leave off some of the more calorie dense items and get dressing on the side.

There's a side ceasar salad for 298.

They have a side of broccoli for 133. Side of black beans is 128.

I'd do half of one of the pizzas or a sandwich and a veggie side.
  • Amazigh926
    Amazigh926 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Order the chicken and when you get it, immediately ask for a to-go box and pack up HALF of it right away so it is not on your plate.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, restaurant servings generally represent 2 and sometimes even 3 servings. I'm assuming those two chicken breasts are not 4 oz serving sized breasts...probably closer to 8 oz...meaning two of those would actually be roughly 4 servings of chicken.

When I don't want to splurge, I just eat about half of an entree. If there is meat, I eat a portion that is roughly the size of my closed fist in width and length...for stuff like rice I eat what would roughly fit in the cup of my palm, etc.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I would get a bowl of chili and share a side of sweet potato fries with somebody.
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Already suggested but my thoughts would be to not eat everything on the plate, the portions are probably very large anyway. If there's dessert then skip it and opt for a coffee instead.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Another alternative, salad with no cheese, dressing on the side. Also, they might have a vnegrette dressing that is not on the menu.
  • dowesney
    dowesney Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Asking for dressing on the side of a salad will cut the calorie count down big time. It won't help you today, but I have found when I know I have to go out to eat I eat very minimal all day to save my calories for the big dinner. I would rather order something I like, than to spend money on something I don't just to stay under the calorie count.
  • primpinxoxo
    primpinxoxo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I worked at a Bailey's Pub & Grille for 3 years.....
    If you're serious about your diet....do not eat there. Ask for celery (they serve it with wings) or plain chips and salsa. Even the healthy options are cooked in too much butter and oil. You can make special requests but that's not even a guarantee they'll do as you ask. Sad...I know.

Just don't do it...
  • tpfoodie
    tpfoodie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'd get something and eat half, then save the rest for lunch another day.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I tend to ask for a box as soon as the food comes, then box up half of the food immediately. That way, once half is gone, I'm far less tempted to continue eating the other half because it's there. It works fairly well for me.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but I can't imagine eating TWO chicken breasts! I imagine that you will see that plate and it will be huge and you won't be able to eat it all anyway.
  • nicolemarie045
    nicolemarie045 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    What I have done before is order off the kids menu. I realize you feel a bit silly..but the portions are more likely to be what you are wanting/needing without having to box up the rest or worry about only eating part of something.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Why do people think salads at resturants are a healthy option? They almost never are. Eat steak, even a burger is better than a salad.
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'd get something and eat half, then save the rest for lunch another day.

this is my suggestion
  • MallorieGreiner
    MallorieGreiner Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Bailey's Pub right after work for an event and will be there for 3+ hours, so have to eat dinner there. I'll have about 700 calories left - but even the salads are more than that (doesn't look like they have any light dressing)! Can anyone give me some advice on what to eat? (Please don't say just eat, cheat, whatever - I'm looking for specific recs on what I make healthier/fit into 700 cals. The food isn't very good so I don't want to splurge on something that doesn't even taste good). I don't eat seafood but everything else is fine.

I was thinking the Jamaican Chicken- 921 calories, Two grilled chicken breasts, marinated in sweet soy sauce, pineapple and ginger. Served with black beans, rice and fresh steamed broccoli. If I don't eat the rice, can I subtract the rice calories (big easy rice says 423 calories, or rice pilaf for 300)?

Menu:
    http://www.foxandhound.com/party-starters.aspx

Nutrition info:
    http://foxandhound.com/Portals/0/pdf/fhnutrition.pdf

I know I'm being anal about this but its the only way this works for me, so if anyone has any helpful advice its much appreciated, thank you!

Whenever I go out places, I'm always a pain in the butt to wait on because I ask to make changes to EVERYTHING.
    For example, if you get the grilled chicken breast, ask for them DRY and cut out the rice and beans and ask for more broccoli. Little things like that can make a big difference.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Ask for some grilled chicken without whatever sauces they put on it and a side of veg/salad with everything on the side. They're more than able to modify the menus, I do this all the time
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I would get a cup of chili and a Cesar salad. Done.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want for today. Make up for it with exercise and being careful the rest of the week.