• rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Plus chicks dig the lycra (they dont).

Sure we do.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    My answer is yes if you are also aware of your intake.

I do lift on occassion & run from time to time, but my primary exercise for the past 3-4 years has been cycling or spinning. When I first started riding I didn't drop a bunch of weight, because I refused to look at my diet. I gained fitness and strength, but my weight didn't really move much. When I started evaluating my intake in addition to the rides, that's when everything finally came together. Best of luck.

BTW, TheBigYin is awesome!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    BTW, TheBigYin is awesome!

Aw, Shucks... :embarassed:
  • cargilb
    cargilb Posts: 116
    Options
    Hi

Wondering if anyone has seen good weight loss and increase in fitness levels with cycling alone? I get a sore calf when running so it looks like I need to stick to the bike for the time being to get my cardio

Thanks

Yes, biking isexcellent It may be the best activity for weight loss, bar none.. I can bike all day and have burned up to 4000 calories in a day. There are few other activities with such a nice burn that one can do for such a long time consistently over months.
    I started doing 30 mile rides the begining of June of 2012 and have lost about 55 or 60 lbs since then by burning calories bicycling and staying within myy calorie budget by COUNTING CALORIES. Both activities were essential to my weight loss. so, get a nice bike; get a nice camera or cell with a camera and go out and ride the trails and see the scenery.

There are some great apps for smart phones out there too that will mao your ride. google maps also has a bike route map on the web so that you can find bike trails near you.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I don't ONLY cycle. I also run and swim (and occasional weights). So maybe that disqualifies me. Still, I just LOVE LOVE LOVE cycling. I'm neither fast, nor particularly athletic. But I do have fun at it.

I have a bike trainer, which is this odd little gizmo that you mount your back tire to, and it turns your bike into a stationary bike. They're handy dandy, easy to find at your local bike shop, and not terribly expensive. I'll do a trainer ride early in the morning, while the rest of the house is asleep. When it fits my schedule, I like to go for ride on a local trail, called The Katy Trail. It's a dirt n gravel trail that used to be a railroad line. "Rails To Trails". It's basically a 250 mile long trail. I get on my cyclocross/touring bike (Bianchi Volpe), and ride an hour or so out, then an hour or so back. The scenery is beautiful. Occasionally breathtaking. It's pure joy. About 20 miles down the road is the first of many wineries. I like to pull in, refill water bottles, do some tastings, buy a bottle or two, put them in my saddlebag, and ride home with a little something for my wife. She gets wine, I get a workout. Win win!

I never EVER ride with headphones. EVER. I'd rather ride without a helmet than ride with headphones. And I NEVER ride without a helmet. I do, though, wear headphones when I'm doing my morning trainer ride. I have different play lists so I can do different rides. Easy, hard, and (*gulp*) intervals. The music helps me maintain my workout goal, throughout.

I think you can do this. Cycling is so great, on so many levels.

Enjoy!
  • Goldie_13
    Options
    I try to at least get on my spin bike for 20 minutes a day. :) It's a great burn & works up a great sweat.
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Bump for later - - I am cardio .
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Try to add in at least 2 days per week of strength training.

It will help you with your weight loss, make you a better cyclist, and most importantly prevent muscle imbalance that will lead to injury
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options

Sure we do.

Yup! I like guys with amazing legs that dress like superheros!

Does that mean we have to wear our underwear on the outside too snow?! :wink: :laugh:
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Good point that is missed many times by recreational cyclists.

(Cyclink - you want to get to the next level this is critical. Your putting in the time make it count)

It will help you with your weight loss, make you a better cyclist, and most importantly prevent muscle imbalance that will lead to injury
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options

Sadly I still look more like an unmasked mexican wrestler :grumble:
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    well a local company hires out spin bikes for £50 for 5weeks so i am going to get one and build up my stamina x
  • plnieman
    Options
    Doing any Cardio that you enjoy is first and foremost priority. If you love cycling, then stick with it and continue to add miles, and resistence with the gears.

I love cycling, and the freedom it gives me, to just be out in the world. I also have a trainer, that I use when the weather doesn't permit riding outside.

Make sure you get some sort of strength training in at least 2x a week. And I recommend cross training as well.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I lost around 70lbs last year mostly thanks to cycling and mountain biking. Mostly.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Good point that is missed many times by recreational cyclists.

(Cyclink - you want to get to the next level this is critical. Your putting in the time make it count)

Sorry, that made me laugh. No, it's a point that is OVERSOLD to many recreational cyclists.

Lifting is good for general fitness, maybe to fix some muscle imbalances in the off season, but gym-type strength is not a limiter for almost anyone at the competitive level. Generating 300 watts at 90 RPM (which is pretty fast if you can sustain it) is only 82 pounds per revolution per leg. It takes a lot of aerobic endurance at that level, but not much strength.

You'd have a hard time finding a coach to tell you that you should be lifting year-round a lot to be a better rider.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    You wear underwear when cycling?!?!?!:noway:

You don't?
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options

Sure we do.

Does that mean we have to wear our underwear on the outside too snow?! :wink: :laugh:

Ummm no! Just trying to be 'funny'! :wink:

"Seriously though. Cycling is amazing! Or I wouldn't love it."

Me too, and it's really benefited me health-wise in every way! :smile:
  • cargilb
    cargilb Posts: 116
    Options

Sure we do.

Seriously though. Cycling is amazing! Or I wouldn't love it.

GOING COMMANDO IS THE BEST PART OF CYCLING
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Cycled 4300 miles last year - all my weight loss was from cycling. This year it is a 70 / 30 split with rowing and cycling.