Need Support...

Options
renae5
renae5 Posts: 393 Member
OK, some of you know me.... I've been on here awhile but am not really an active poster. However, I really need a support net right now. I am currenting in my first week of Chantix and have a quit date of May 21. I really want to quit smoking and I know it is selfish to say that I am extremely worried about gaining weight... bc the goal is to be healthy, right??!! Yea, yea, yea, I know that, I understand that, but I have worked really hard to lose the weight I have lost and want to get to the next stage of training and exercising which is going to mean I need a healthier body with more stamina and endurance... ie, give up the crutch of smoking. The Chantix is help, cigs taste like crap so obviously my body doesn't want them any more. Down to just a few a day, but my brain is going "No, No, they're Mine... something I have "control" over" I don't know if any of this makes since, if you've never smoked then I am not sure you can understand. I want to quit but I panic at the thought of it, I worry about gaining weight, I worry about being a bit@# to my husband and children, I worry that the smokers around me don't want me to succeed, anyway I am a little bit of a wreck right now and don't know ho to ask for support s oI am coming to my MFP family and asking for help. I would appreciate any and all assitance in this hurdle in my life! Thanks, Cindy

Replies

• Shy1979
    Shy1979 Posts: 75
    Options
    I've never smoked a day in my life, so I can't really relate to what you are going through. But you just have to look ahead, ... what is the best thing for you in the long run. And in the long run, you will be a much healthier person if you quit! I wish you the best of luck and that you'll succeed!
  • sslandy
    sslandy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I quit 17 years ago (I was pregnant with my first baby). I used to quit all the time! New Years! Lent! My birthday! Any other major event/holiday during the year. I don't know if you are Catholic but Lent is usually in February - right after New Years! Keep trying and find something else to do with your hands. I found a lot of times I reached for a cigarette out of habit.

A friend of mine recently switched to an electronic cigarette. It does deliver nicotine but it does not have the harmful smoke. She has not had a real cigarette since (6 months). If you are interested, I could find the link for you.

Good luck and keep trying. You can do it.
  • renae5
    Options
    Thanks, ya'll... 2 posts and this is already more support than I have gotten at home!
  • maddybb
    maddybb Posts: 4
    Options
    Hello

I had the same worries when i first quit, simple thing but i found chewing gum really helped, loads of it, rather than snacking, also used patches to stop the cravings, it was actually a lot easier than i thought! x
  • fitzio1015
    fitzio1015 Posts: 168
    Options
    OK, some of you know me.... I've been on here awhile but am not really an active poster. However, I really need a support net right now. I am currenting in my first week of Chantix and have a quit date of May 21. I really want to quit smoking and I know it is selfish to say that I am extremely worried about gaining weight... bc the goal is to be healthy, right??!! Yea, yea, yea, I know that, I understand that, but I have worked really hard to lose the weight I have lost and want to get to the next stage of training and exercising which is going to mean I need a healthier body with more stamina and endurance... ie, give up the crutch of smoking. The Chantix is help, cigs taste like crap so obviously my body doesn't want them any more. Down to just a few a day, but my brain is going "No, No, they're Mine... something I have "control" over" I don't know if any of this makes since, if you've never smoked then I am not sure you can understand. I want to quit but I panic at the thought of it, I worry about gaining weight, I worry about being a bit@# to my husband and children, I worry that the smokers around me don't want me to succeed, anyway I am a little bit of a wreck right now and don't know ho to ask for support s oI am coming to my MFP family and asking for help. I would appreciate any and all assitance in this hurdle in my life! Thanks, Cindy

with chantix have you had wierd dreams or anything like that. I have known a few people who have used it and had to quit becasue of the nightmares. I am so afraid to try it becasue of that and waste the money spent on it.

I also really want to quit . I already hate the smell and the taste but i can't seem to put them down. I chew gum all the time because i hate the taste i am constantly spaying body spray. i just don't get why i can't give them up. I can give up french fries and cupcakes with no issue but to put down a cigg is like the death of me.

I wish i could offer some help for you as to i can't im still seeking my own. But please keep me posted on your results.
  • MandyKayFrench
    MandyKayFrench Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have never smoked either so I know I can't understand but I just keep looking at the pounds lost on your ticker and all I can say is this - if you can manage to do THAT, then you can manage to do THIS. Just keep your focus on your end goal - a healthy body - and every time you want a cigarette, remind yourself of WHY you don't really want to give in.

Potential weight gain I think you have to consider from this perspective - if you continue to smoke, you put a long-term brick wall between you and reaching your weight loss goals. If you gain weight when you quit, it's short-term. You can lose that weight. But if you keep smoking - you're going to hit a wall where you can no longer increase your fitness and can no longer lose weight.

Just keep your eye on the prize and grit your teeth - YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
  • renae5
    Options

with chantix have you had wierd dreams or anything like that. I have known a few people who have used it and had to quit becasue of the nightmares. I am so afraid to try it becasue of that and waste the money spent on it.

I also really want to quit . I already hate the smell and the taste but i can't seem to put them down. I chew gum all the time because i hate the taste i am constantly spaying body spray. i just don't get why i can't give them up. I can give up french fries and cupcakes with no issue but to put down a cigg is like the death of me.

I wish i could offer some help for you as to i can't im still seeking my own. But please keep me posted on your results.
    I have done fine with the dreams... I think it may have a lot to do with what frame of mind you are in already. My SIL tried it when it first came out and had horrible nightmares... she is a VERY negative person. I am not sure how this is for everyone but I really try to have a positive attitude about most things in life, I am very blessed, I have been to the bottom and it sucks, the rest of my life is up, Up, and UP! I was hoping that would keep me from having the bad dreams and so far it has, now I have had some very vivid dreams that were a little weird and hard to separate from reality ~ actually wanted to go back to sleep to finish a couple of them, Ha -but not bad. Thank you for supporting me and hopefully my success with this darned cigarette demon can encourage you, too!!
  • Junisahn
    Junisahn Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Quitting was hard,but you already know that. I just wanted to tell you that the weight gain is not inevitable. Cigarettes both rev your metabolism and also quell hunger, so you WILL have more munchies and you may be burning even up to 200 less calories a day after you quit (can't find the science to back that up, tho), so you will have to watch your cravings for food and not satisfy the longing for a smoke with a bite to eat.

I quit in Oct 2008 and by Jan 2009 only put on 3 lbs - and that was through the holidays, too, so quitting without gaining a lot really can be done. I spent January losing those 3 lbs, and by Feb 1, was back to my old size, smoke free! For me, knowing that the temptation to replace the smokes with food would be strong allowed me to be really mentally present in my eating habits and ask myself - would I have eaten this when I was a smoker? Or, would I have had a snack at this time when I was a smoker? If the answer was no, I'd drink water and distract myself with something else. If the hunger went away, great. If not, I'd eat a very small healthy snack, or some black coffee, or do the water thing again if it was close to mealtime.

Congrats on quitting!!!
  • gobshite
    gobshite Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Cindy,
    2 yrs ago I pretty much declared war on myself. I was about 300 lbs and a heavy smoker. Had tried to quit several times, and yes used chantix, but had to come off it because of the dreams, so I started smoking again. I went after the weight loss hard for the first year, lost 90 lbs, started running 10k's so I felt completely justified smoking. Then last august a friend of mine from many years ago passed away from lung cancer at 42 years old. While at his funeral, I looked at his daughters who were not far away in age from mine and something just clicked inside my head. All of a sudden the warnings on the side of the pack became real. I right there and then threw the pack into the trash and have not smoked since. I allowed myself to gain back 10 lbs of self pity weight, knowing that if I shed it once I could do it again. The first week was miserable, and I thank god my job as a pilot kept me away from home, otherwise I would have been kicked out for sure. It got just a little easier with time thiugh. It is more about breaking routines. Now 9 months later I can honestly say, I go days without thinking about them, and I do feel the health benefits, but I am not going to lie, I still crave one from time to time. But you know the way you feel about being determined to not put the weight back on, well ur mind will do the same about not going back to cigs. Oh and the 10 lbs of pity weight, well it turned into 20 and I have only 6 left to lose again. You can do this, trust me. I smoked for 25 years, grew up in Ireland where everyone smokes, and now about to turn 40 and in the best health of my life. Get a support buddy, that really helps. Messege me anytime, I would love to help you, but do this!!!!!!!!
    good luck
  • KateDonnelly
    Options
    I smoked for twenty one years before finally giving it up for good six months ago. I had tried and relapsed for over five years. My advice is to learn as much about addiction and recovery as you can and plan a quit strategy. Mine included strategies for not overeating (protein water and fructose for when I felt shlumpy), to compensate (and lots of distraction to keep me from feeling insanely emotional and oversensitive). Plan light to demanding physical activities and mentally stimulating activities throughout each day. Plan on staying away from nay sayers and trigger locations for a few weeks or months. Plan on lots of coming out of old ruts. Plan on smelling delicious even at the end of the day (seriously, I just got over hair/shampoo huffing like a month ago). Plan on newfound feelings of discipline and self control. Plan on gaining better acceptance of your limitations. You CAN do this and you will realize when the pain of the first little bit is over, that you have not been in control for a long long time. Cigarettes aren't YOURS. You belong to addiction. Free yourself. You will never do anything more important and life changing and then tackling weight loss and fitness is a breeze (relatively speaking of course). After having this personal victory I want more and I believe in myself more. I want this for you too and for anyone still locked up in any addiction. Add me. I completely support and believe in your ability to conquer this without gaining weight. GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!
  • federalist
    federalist Posts: 1
    Options
    I smoked for several years. I quit smoking a dozen times, only to resume weeks or months later. The biggest problem is that you have to overcome two separate addictions, the physical addiction to nicotine and the mental addiction to smoking. Here, you are now adding a third concern, which is not to replace smoking with snacking. My success at quiting smoking came when my wife and I decided together to quit, and we smoked our last cigarette together just before driving home for Christmas. We used the gum for the physical addiction, being in the new environment at that time helped to curb the mental addiction, and when we returned home, we joined a gym to try to get healthy - the benefit of being healthy and the encouragement not to return to smoking.

As you prepare to take the plunge to truly quit, I would suggest thinking about a full plan to address the three concerns. As you are weening yourself from cigarette right now because of the taste, be wary, because your mind will overcome it. Your body's desire for nicotine will lead you to want a cigarette regardless of the taste. You have to address the physical addiction, by mind or assistance. Also be very aware of your triggers, at home, at work, at meals, etc. The hardest thing for me was to come up with something that I would do after I would eat to replace the routine of having a cigarette. Think about the times that you smoke now, and try to be conscious of your mind's desires for a cigarette. Make plans as to what you will do instead of having the routine cigarette. Finally, you might consider the food you have in your home and work. If you snack on carrot sticks, pretzels, string cheese, and the like, you will be better off than snacking on potato chips, cookies, and snack cakes. If you can find a gym, or start an exercise routine, often that will help counter-act the additional food you take in.

In the end, though, any doctor would tell you that if you gain some weight by quitting smoking, it is far healthier than being at your current weight and still smoking. But if you address it and make a plan for it, you can minimize the weight gain and quit smoking at the same time. Make a plan now, before you try to quit. I can tell you from my experiences that without a plan to address these three issues in place when you try to quit, your chances of success at quitting smoking are minimal, and you certainly don't want to add the eight AND wind up smoking again in a few weeks or months.

Good luck!!!
  • justahorsen
    justahorsen Posts: 234
    Options
    you CAN do this....I did, so I know it can be done.....you will not gain a lot of weight if you don't subsitute food for the cigarette to the mouth motion....I crocheted doileys to keep my hands busy (a LOT of doileys,lol) Don't let that little cigarette be stronger than you... you CAN win this fight, people will tell you that it is not a fight but it is. You just have to be stronger than the addiction and when your body is cleaned out, you will smell a cigarette and realize how much they STINK... and be horrified that you used to actually smell like that!!! Good luck, stay strong and find a replacement activity!!!!
  • bakergirl62
    bakergirl62 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I am on day four of my Chantix and day three smoke free. I was a smoker for 32 years. I found that this drug really works for me, and I can live with the dreams. Yesterday was my one year anniversary on MFP and I decided last year when I made my lifestyle changes that one year from that date I would quite smoking and drinking. So here I am, smoke free, drink free, and fat fee (almost). My husband is a heavy smoker, and that he is my next challenge. :noway:
  • renae5
    Options
    I would like to Thank everyone for their support and advice. It is going to be a struggle, but hey - life is full of them. Here's to be thankful for everyday!!
  • renae5
    Options
    3rd day ciggy-free and guess what... I'm still alive and so are my rotten children, HA!! Thanks everyone for your support!!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making such a fantastic decision! You can do this!
    I quit just over a year ago when I began training for my first 1/2 marathon. It was (and still is) hard but the benefits have made it so worthwhile. My asthma has virtually disappeared, food tastes better, exercising is easier and I smell better and have more money.

For me I had to temporarily give up alcohol to be able to quit smoking since I have always closely related the two. I didn't gain any weight but admittedly I didn't lose any either. And I am ok with that. Even if you do intially gain a few pounds don't beat yourself up over it, you know you can lose it again.

This is the best decision you could have made for yourself and your loved ones.
  • renae5
    Options
    a Whole week without the Nasty things and still have a Smile on my Face!!!