I need some advice on my weight loss!!

Options
Hello. My name is Nicole and I started my lifestyle change on January 14th, 2013. I am 26 years old, and am 5'4" tall. I have two children ages 7 and 4. I have been married 8 years this October, and my husband is fully on board with me for this change. He is using the app also. At my heaviest weight, I was at 242lbs...or so I thought. My scale seemed to be getting quirky a week after we started using it, (saying I had gained 17lbs in a day and down 20 the next) and we had to get a cheap analog scale to replace it. We had been steadily using the analog one, and it had me as of last Wednesday down to 222lbs, 20 lost. We then bought a digital scale on Sunday just to compare, and it said I weighed 228!!!! I am beginning to feel discouraged as I was SO excited that I had lost 20 and now am not sure if that is right. Which scale do I go by?!!!Grrr! I have been obsessively weighing myself (like every day) and I know that I should not do that. It's just kind of like, well I walked by it and it's there sooooo......

Anyway...

When we began calorie counting, we also got a membership to our local Y. We were going 3-5 times a week, and then the flu bug struck our house. My children are 7 and 4 and with each of them having the bug for a week and a half a piece, I was really down on my exercise. Now we are barely going at all.

We are still steadily calorie counting, I have adjusted my BMR and my calorie intake based on the weight loss, but I am not seeing the scale change at all...well for the past 2 weeks. What I am getting at is I think since my ability to go to the Y is so limited, I need an exercise program that allows me to burn at least 200 calories a day and I can do it in my home. I have looked up exercise regimens online, but I am not familiar with a lot of the lingo and terminology...obviously! lol. What the heck is a 'russian lift'???LOL

I apologize for the huge lead in, but any advice on my situation would be awesome! Im looking for exercise tips, advice or suggestions on what I'm doing, and anyone else who has experienced this type of situation. Thanks!

Starting Weight: 242
Current Weight: 222
Goal Weight:142
Time frame: 2lbs a week for 50 weeks
Goals: down 20lbs by Easter, down 50lbs by my birthday June 6
Amount of time currently in active 'lifestyle change': 4 Weeks

Replies

• bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss, no matter the number you should be proud!!

To answer your question I do the Jillian Michaels workout dvds at home and I really enjoy them, I'm kinda obsessed actually...
    I love Ripped in 30 and burn over 200 calories with it using 3 lbs weights according to my HRM. I would also recommend her 30 Day Shred, burning around the same amount of calories with the 3 lbs. I usually shift between 3, 5, 8, and 10 lbs weights throughout the 30 days depending on the move (like dead lifts I can use the 10s) but you can use whatever you have. The videos are less than $10 and you can get them at Wal-Mart usually along with weights for a total bill less than $25.

The great thing about both of these videos is that there are different levels so it changes up as you go and doesn't get too boring. Hope this helps, oh also search the forums for 30DS or RI30 results to see some of the results members have gotten from these two videos, you will be surprised.
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about walking?? It's so great for weight loss! You can take the little ones with you, it'll be great for them as well. Plus if you have the little one in a stroller you will burn extra cals. Doesn't need to be a long walk, 20-30 min a day has huge health benefits.

Great job on your weight loss so far and good luck with your goals :D
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    If your new scale says you weight more, raise your starting weight to reflect that difference. You've still lost the same amount; it's the numbers that just don't match up.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If your new scale says you weight more, raise your starting weight to reflect that difference. You've still lost the same amount; it's the numbers that just don't match up.
    This!

And remember, the number on the scale isn't as important as how you feel and how your clothes fit. YOU are the only one who knows that number the rest of the world sees you in your clothes. In addition to the scale, start measuring yourself. Buy a cheap fabric measuring tape and measure your waist, hips, thighs, upper arms, neck, whatever. You can track these measurements in MFP, as well.

I don't have a lot of advice on workouts because I don't do them. I run and I walk and I sometimes ride my stationary bike.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Take measurement and pictures. This shows more than the scale.
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what scale just stick to one! The scale at the gym and doctor are different than mine, I just always use mine to justify the real weigh in.

I started at 236 and got great results from the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. It is hard but you can do it and you will feel so much better once you have done it! I did the 30 day shred and went for 15-30 minute speed walks a day and consistantly lost 2 lbs a week with a "healthier" diet! I didn't go overboard just cut calories and tried to do my best with other macros. Once you lose most of the weight (50%) you will need to re-evaluate if not before and after!
  • surfergirl1970
    Options
    I'm a huge proponent of a program that incorporates weight training - it's the best way to build lean muscle, which revs up your metabolism so you burn more even when you're not exercising. I'll send you a friend request and message you some info.
  • gerirojas
    gerirojas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I also do Jillian Michaels if you don't want to buy the DVD'S you can see pretty much all of them on you tube, I take my ipad in my gym room and set it on a stand, grab my weights of and off you go, she modifies everything, I would start with 30 day shred level 1 and congratulations on your weight loss. My kids 4 and 5 watch me cause its also their playroom and sometimes join in, its fun
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    id go by measurements more...and id pout the scale somewhere where its not out like under your bed in your closet ect so its not just sitting out.
  • peggebrecht
    peggebrecht Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There are a variety of things you can do around the house. General cleaning for about 45 minutes would burn that amount. You and your husband can take turns going for neighborhood walks. You could also buy DVDs for yoga, zumba, or other types of workouts. My wife and I think of workouts as opportunities to eat a little more and still be under our target count for the day. Two more things.....leave the scale alone except for 1-2 times per week and be satisfied with even slow weight loss. Our bodies are fighting us to stay the weights we are. I've had several weeks over the past six months where I lost only half a pound each week, but it all adds up. I'm now at over 30 pounds lost, and have about 20 more to go. Good luck!
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the other few have comment. Jullian Michaels is awsome and you can down load them from you tube. That way they are free :D. 30 day shed is the one that I've done. I'm quite a bit older than you and find that she is really tough. Also, walking with the kiddo's is a great burn. And, they enjoy the outside time as much as you do. When my kids were little I would take them to the practice field at our middle school when nothing was going on and my husband and I would walk and they would play or ride their bikes/trikes. As far as the weight you've done great so far. If you want an accurate number (I did) I stopped by my doctor's office one day and ask to use the scale. Then I went straight home and weighed. That way I knew where my scale was actually at. Friend me if you'd like my diary is open and I log everything everyday. I'm doing a low carb life style. 60lbs lost in almost a year. I think kinda slow but that's ok :D I've got the rest of my life and I finally got to see a new number just a few days ago. I started at 260 and weighed in last Sunday at 199.6. So here's to you and your family and your new life style.
  • devan44
    devan44 Posts: 130
    Options
    I have 3 boys so it's easiest for me to workout at home also. I do Jillian Michaels 30 day shred - you can find it for free on YouTube :happy: In 28 minutes it's like 350 calories or something. I also try and walk - I work outside of the home so I walk 4 miles during my lunch hour most days. If you have an iPhone you can get the mapmywalk app and it'll tell you exactly how far, how fast, etc you've walked - awesome!!

Sidebar - I noticed you got married really young. I got married when I was 19, 13 years ago :heart: It's awesome y'all are still together! Send me a friend request if you need some more support!
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations! You are doing really good with you weight loss. Second, don't get discouraged because life happens and we know how unpredictable a "schedule" can be with little ones at home. If you can't go 5 or 6 days a week to the Y, go two. Plan and prepare for it, and if it doesn't happen on the day you scheduled it move it to the next day, but don't get frustrated. I also recommend 30 day Shred. The burn for the workout is between 200 to 250 cals and it is only like 25min, so this is something that you can do at home while the kids are playing or entertained doing something else. I Know that I can't be rigid with my schedule, I also have a small kids, 4 & 6, but I do what I can (I go to the gym 2 to 3 times a week to lift, we walk during the weekend as a family, have a few DVDs that I can do at home, and If we eat out on Friday we just walk to the restaurant, like a 35min walk ea way). Good Luck.
  • ickycolenoel
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice so far. I am going to go get some weights and the jillian michaels dvds as they seem to come highly recommended. I need to look for the best calorie counter out there. I am always hesitant to do these kind of activities as I cannot accurately measure the calories burned. I am obsessed with counting my calories and documenting everything. It keeps me accountable. Any suggestions on the best calorie counter? I just get so confused on how a device can accurately do this! Thanks all!:smile::heart: :ohwell:
  • mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm using the Wii fit Plus. There's some really great excercises, you can tailor it to your needs, and with you having young kids, you can work out at home, and then when you and your husband are done, the kids have something to do. If you figure the cost of joining a gym or whatever, the Wii will end up being cheaper.
  • gayatrik
    gayatrik Posts: 173
    Options
    JM DVDs are highly recommended. However, if you like to start with less intensity on ur knees and joints, I suggest Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds DVDs.

I am currently doing her 3 miles Walk video and I feel the heat in my legs once I finish and I take it as it works :D

Try it in this You Tube line:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDGFw9Bf6h0
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice so far. I am going to go get some weights and the jillian michaels dvds as they seem to come highly recommended. I need to look for the best calorie counter out there. I am always hesitant to do these kind of activities as I cannot accurately measure the calories burned. I am obsessed with counting my calories and documenting everything. It keeps me accountable. Any suggestions on the best calorie counter? I just get so confused on how a device can accurately do this! Thanks all!:smile::heart: :ohwell:

I use the Polar FT7 and it is awesome! (It's a heart rate monitor)