Cheat Foods.. Do or Don't?

Options

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    the thing is... i don't necessairly crave a certain food. At least, i don't crave any reasonable amount of it.

what i really crave is the pigging out behavior. the stuffing my face with wreckless abandon lol.

so eating a particluar food isn't going to kill that beast for me, its more like poking it with a stick.

but perhaps overtime, assuming i eat in moderation, it would teach me something.
  • Maximumresults
    Options
    my mind responds best to choice....usually most people do not enjoy being forced to do anything...so if you have the option to say no, you can because you decided to...you'll actually find that when you don't make certain foods off limits, they aren't as appealing as they once were...

this goes for many things in life
  • SugarBoomBoom
    Options
    I think labelling it as "cheat foods" immediately places a lot of negativity and guilt around enjoyment of food.

There is a wide range of foods available that are tasty - some very nutritious, some not so nutritious. For me a sustainable lifestyle change would involve placing the emphasis on healthy, nutritious foods, which are tasty and enjoyable, whist also allowing small amounts of tasty, enjoyable foods but not so nutritious foods just for fun.

I prefer to eat healthily most of the time and TREAT (not cheat) myself to things I like that are not so healthy once a week. So one day a week, usually Sundays, I don't log, I allow myself wine and cake/dessert on that day (my favourite things). This also gives me flexibility for when I am eating away from home, so I might have my "treat" day midweek instead of Sunday. Interestingly I don't binge on those things - I am usually satisfied with just a little and my eating for that day is still focussed on healthy food.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have a few rules that are very important to my diet, and I ignore them ALL some of the time.

#1 rule: Try to stick to calorie goals. This is where the weight loss happens. Eat more on the days I exercise. Eat less on the days of rest.

Unless I'm starving. Then I eat to maintenance (1600 - 1700).

#2 rule: Try to eat more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.

I usually screw up this one, to the tune of 300 - 400 empty calories per day (stuff like fiber one snacks, lunch meat, stuff that isn't 100% bad but not anywhere near clean).

#3 rule: Exercise an hour when possible. I usually get in 5 hours per week. This will help mitigate any mistakes that I make when I eat.

There is no banned food but I try not to overdo it.

Down 47 pounds, at my last 10 - 12.

Being on a healthy eating plan is not like standing on a pedestal trying to be perfect. It's just life. Make better choices some of the time and don't overdo it on calories. The rest will take care of itself. As long as I don't gain the weight back, I know I will have succeeded.
  • SugarBoomBoom
    Options
    I have a 90/10 rule. 90% whole healthy foods and 10% indulgence. Works great for me!

what she said ^^^^^^
  • SeeStephRunBlog
    Options
    what do you think is a cheat?

In the last few months I've focused on NOT dieting- instead just eating cleaner and trying to stay accountable. For example, I craved a pizza so I made a healthier version of one. I was craving a creamy chicken alfredo, I made lighter creamy pasta. Sometimes if I want a sweet, I try and find a small version etc. I think you can still get the flavors you want in a cleaner, healthier way.

I posted some of my recipes if you are interested- seestephrun.com
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm in the minority here and say avoid those foods if you can.

For the main reason, that so many people have "cheat meals" and have not trained themselves to stop. Then they're "cheat mealing" every chance they get, and not seeing any results.

Since you're fairly new to the whole weight loss thing, I'd recommend steering clear until you feel you have a better grasp on the process. Then slowly start re-introducing those foods into your diet again.
  • Bolthouse26
    Bolthouse26 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the posts up here .. You cannot completely cut out your favorite foods. I had different cheat food at different points. 2 months ago I LOVED chicken nuggets so I would allow myself to eat them once a week and only 6 of them. Now it's pastry strudel .. I'm absolutely crazy about them haha I know I sound like a child but I eat my cheat food more often now because I can afford to do since I'm very close to my goal weight now. However, I did cut back MAJORLY on alcohol, no hard liquor .. only wine. I think that helped me SO much. So if you can ... just stick to wine and maybe one hard liquor drink. Try not to drink more than two days in a week. Light beers occasionally are OK but I don't like beer. Please feel free to add me .. My diary is open to my friends.
    Good Luck! YOU CAN DO IT :)
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I don't think its considered a cheat meal if you work it into your calories.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I believe in a cheat MEAL not a cheat DAY.

You never want to feel deprived of anything and usually just having enough to "hit the spot" seems to alleviate the craving for me.

Other than that, just work whatever you want to eat into your daily food and exercise calories. Logging ahead of eating helps too!
  • ekr1984
    ekr1984 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For me cookies and sweets are the hardest and our roommate brought home boxes of girl scout cookies which to me are a complete temptation. Last spring I would have thought nothing of eating all of the tagalongs. I probably would have had ice cream and a diet pepsi with them in fact. But now I realize that yes, I can have a cookie. But to moderate myself I make myself drink two glasses of water/tea before I can have a cookie. It spaces out my cookies and if I really want to have it that badly then I need to drink to be able to do it. It's working for me so far so that might be something to try if you're bad about getting enough fluids like I am.
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I don't think there should be any food that you can't consume, I just try to eat well all of the time, and if I feel like I need a little sweet treat then I'll just have a small amount. I always record it in my food diary though and I go to the gym 5/6 times a week so I just try to plan for it and not go over my daily calorie intake. I find that if I eat something bad, it gives me a boost for the rest of the week 'cause I feel bad for eating it and work twice as hard at the gym and eat really clean! Lol I usually cheat once every week or two.
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70lbs by practicing moderation and portion control. Nothing is off limits...I just limit things that aren't as healthy. Most of what I eat is healthy and I've learned to adapt typically unhealthy dishes into healthy recipes without sacrificing taste or enjoyment. Since you're just starting out you may want to avoid foods that you know you lose control with, but just until you've learned to control what you eat, rather than have it control you. If I want ice cream, pasta, or pizza then I eat it. But, I just have one serving instead of 2 or 3 or 4. I make sure it fits into my day and on the days it doesn't, then I make sure I compensate the next day by practicing calorie cycling. As long as you stay within your weekly calorie goal you're good. You need to find out what works for you and stick with it. Don't think of this as a temporary change, but as a lifestyle change. So find what is sustainable for you.
  • sweetzoejane
    sweetzoejane Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You are only cheating if you think you are dieting. There are no cheats in this. This is not a test you have to pass. This is your life, and in life, there is cake, booze, pizza, chips, and soda. People eat them in moderation and sometimes they eat a lot in one day. In other words, if you're not going to eat a slice of birthday cake to celebrate (as an example) because you feel like you're cheating on something, you're doing it wrong.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I think it could also depend on how patient you are. Some people, myself included, get a little impatient and discouraged if we're not seeing the results we want.

However, if you're more patient, then suppose the following:

-A caloric deficit of 350 calories per day for 6 days in the week. This is not much for me, especially if when I hit the gym, but how that 350 calorie deficit "feels" will naturally vary from person to person.

-A caloric surplus of 250 calories 1 day in the week. Again, if I'm hitting the gym, this is a decent amount of food, which could allow for some relatively satisfying "cheating."

That leaves me with a yearly caloric deficit of 83200 calories. Divided by 3500 calories (the amount of calories in lb of fat), and you get around 23 pounds lost in a year. Not a ton of weight loss in the year, but the deficit isn't large either and may be more manageable.

That's kind of an over simplification as it doesn't take into account any sort of macro nutrient requirements or plateaus, but I still think it's an interesting notion.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    OP...what are considered your "cheat foods"?

Are you looking to make long lasting changes in your life? If so....either allot some calories to enjoy these foods you love or make them healthier.

I'd love to see what you consider as cheat foods and what you are avoiding because I guarantee you there is a way to make it healthier without sacrificing a lot of taste.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    When nothing is off limits, there is no such thing as cheating :drinker:
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I have treats. I just do my best to pre plan and work the rest of my day around it. Just log everything. Keep yourself accountable. If it's working then don't fix what isn't broken! Carry on. If it stops working the look at how many treats your having!

Zara x
  • mcrubino
    Options
    It sound to me that maybe you're having a battle of willpower with unsuccessful dieting thusfar. Perhaps starting off for maybe a month or so being very strict will give you the willpower to later say, "I really can go without that" or "I really only need just one." I had to totally change my lifestyle giving up sugars/sweeteners, starches, gluten, and I found that after the first couple of months I could add things back in and not go overboard because I didn't really like them as much as I used to, or didn't feel such a big urge to. I'm not suggesting you go super strict but if you can get your will in check first, then maybe add things back in, you may have better success.
  • Lisuuhhh
    Lisuuhhh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the majority of my weight gain has been due to restaurant eating. I used to eat out quite a bit and have cut back majorly with my new routine, but am still having trouble saying no all together. I do realize it's my will power that I need to get in check. But the days I work out, I end up telling myself... you can eat lunch at Chipotle today or have dinner out at Houlihans on the weekend.

I can't decide If I should try to do away with it all completely or allow myself to have it some of the time, because otherwise I may revert back to my old eating habits all together. I haven't necessarily found myself saying "the day is wasted now, so I will eat whatever". I guess I know ultimately it's my decision but wondered what other's opinions were.