weight Watchers

Options

Replies

• UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I did it on and off for years, you don't need to pay for it - i just figured out how to calculate points on my own and bought the handbook (this was years ago, now everything is online & readily available). So far MFP is better for me because I think it works better for my body (I'm eating less calories on MFP)
  • cloversunshine
    Options
    I found the group meeting to be great but the tracking points was tedious. I really love this site. I am not as frustrated and it has been very helpful in how it helps me keep track of my foods.
  • jennifermarie16144
    Options
    I have done MFP and weight watchers. I really like WW for the meetings because the support is great. I also really like MFP as a tool for managing the diet.
  • SherrysLife2012
    Options
    Well...guess I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. The first 80 pounds I lost, I lost doing WW at home under their old point system, I also exercised, but loved, loved, loved WW, I just couldn't afford to go to their meetings, so I went to TOPS instead. TOPS gave me the support I needed, also being weighed each week and the contests, incentives and other stuff TOPS offers to support you in your weight loss journey. Then I kinda fell off counting the points, but I did not gain my weight back. Then WW came out with the new points plus program, I had to check it out.....so I went to a meeting and joined, but they were sold out of the calculators and they said you can only count points with the calculator under the new PP, unlike using the cardboard slider with the old points system. Plus I had to buy the book, they gave me NOTHING, I had to buy everything to figure the points.....books, calculator, etc., no problem, I did that. Here in Michigan where I went to meetings, you had to pay $12 a week, no matter if you went or not....so I did that, but I didn't care for the new PP and after 8 weeks and $200.00 plus dollars later, I had lost nothing, not their fault...my own fault not getting with the program totally, in other words, I just wasn't mentally ready. Unfortunately to two different meeting places I attended, were not supportive at all, the Leaders had their favorites and had no time for anyone else, so needless to say, I got absolutely no support. The people weighing me in were rude, didn't smile, didn't say a word....again, no support, so I quit going. But once again, I'm not blaming WW, my own fault, because if it is to be, it is up to me. I think WW was much better with their old plan, but the problem is they want you to buy all their stuff. I'm sure not all meeting places are like the ones I attended and I'm sure some offer some great support, the only downfall in my opinion about WW is how expensive it is. But no matter what anyone has to say, you have to do what works for you and what works for some won't work for others, so I would say....try it, if it works for you, do it. If you really can't afford it, maybe try doing it at home first, if you go on ebay you can buy the calculator and books, or join for a few weeks...whatever works for you. TOPS is only $28 a year, plus a monthly fee, which depends on the meeting you go to, I pay $7.00 a month, you can earn money, charms and prizes for weight loss......I will say this though, you have to find a good supportive club, some clubs are just women getting out of the house for the evening. TOPS.org is their website if you want to check it out. WW works and its great, I don't mean to say anything bad, just telling my story and I did lose 80 pounds on WW, but last year I lost 50 pounds using MFP, so it works as well....but it all boils down to you doing the work, more calories out than in, nothing is going to make you do it. No matter the price, if it works for you, that is all that is important, you can't put a price tag on your life. Ok....my novel is done....good luck in whatever you choose.

Sherry
  • SherrysLife2012
    Options
    Ok, sorry, that was more like $2.00 worth...LOL...sorry for such a long post above.

Sherry
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    While technically there is a way to do WW for free, it does take of extra work to do so. For 1, the app to track your points and look up food is not free. And you have to have a second app to scan bar codes (at least at one point you did, not sure if they integrated it yet.).

It really isn't much extra work - you don't need these apps, I started WW pre-smart phones and did the math in my head, everything is labeled with nutritional info and you can look up restaurant info and calculate those points. I have no idea what this bar code app is for, and there are tons of sites with points already calculated for a lot of foods. Or you can just figure it out yourself, 1point = 50 calories or 12 grams of fat, and you subtract a point for 5g of fiber. I still do this subconsciously when I look at NI.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Well...guess I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. The first 80 pounds I lost, I lost doing WW at home under their old point system, I also exercised, but loved, loved, loved WW, I just couldn't afford to go to their meetings, so I went to TOPS instead. TOPS gave me the support I needed, also being weighed each week and the contests, incentives and other stuff TOPS offers to support you in your weight loss journey. Then I kinda fell off counting the points, but I did not gain my weight back. Then WW came out with the new points plus program, I had to check it out.....so I went to a meeting and joined, but they were sold out of the calculators and they said you can only count points with the calculator under the new PP, unlike using the cardboard slider with the old points system. Plus I had to buy the book, they gave me NOTHING, I had to buy everything to figure the points.....books, calculator, etc., no problem, I did that. Here in Michigan where I went to meetings, you had to pay $12 a week, no matter if you went or not....so I did that, but I didn't care for the new PP and after 8 weeks and $200.00 plus dollars later, I had lost nothing, not their fault...my own fault not getting with the program totally, in other words, I just wasn't mentally ready. Unfortunately to two different meeting places I attended, were not supportive at all, the Leaders had their favorites and had no time for anyone else, so needless to say, I got absolutely no support. The people weighing me in were rude, didn't smile, didn't say a word....again, no support, so I quit going. But once again, I'm not blaming WW, my own fault, because if it is to be, it is up to me. I think WW was much better with their old plan, but the problem is they want you to buy all their stuff. I'm sure not all meeting places are like the ones I attended and I'm sure some offer some great support, the only downfall in my opinion about WW is how expensive it is. But no matter what anyone has to say, you have to do what works for you and what works for some won't work for others, so I would say....try it, if it works for you, do it. If you really can't afford it, maybe try doing it at home first, if you go on ebay you can buy the calculator and books, or join for a few weeks...whatever works for you. TOPS is only $28 a year, plus a monthly fee, which depends on the meeting you go to, I pay $7.00 a month, you can earn money, charms and prizes for weight loss......I will say this though, you have to find a good supportive club, some clubs are just women getting out of the house for the evening. TOPS.org is their website if you want to check it out. WW works and its great, I don't mean to say anything bad, just telling my story and I did lose 80 pounds on WW, but last year I lost 50 pounds using MFP, so it works as well....but it all boils down to you doing the work, more calories out than in, nothing is going to make you do it. No matter the price, if it works for you, that is all that is important, you can't put a price tag on your life. Ok....my novel is done....good luck in whatever you choose.

Sherry

Just wanted to make a quick point.. I am not sure if it was just an issue with the location where you joined, but when I went back last year (after not going for like 5 year), they gave me all of the membership stuff again which included a huge book of foods with their points value plus literally a TON Of other reading material in one huge package. If you need to calculate points for foods that aren't in that book, you can use any one of the million free apps online, or for your smart phone, which will do that for you. You don't need to buy a points calculator from Weight Watchers to calculate points plus.
    And once you have those materials, you never have to go to a meeting again or pay another dime if you don't want to. they give you the tools and it is up to you to make it work. If you need the accountability of getting weighed in there and attending meetings, then that is your choice - and pay the cash to do so.

Out of all of the weight loss programs out there that charge something, I think WW is probably one of those most affordable ones. Think about it - Nutrisystem for example requires you to buy ALL of their foods - and they are very expensive. (besides that, it doesn't teach you how to eat properly whatsoever).

When you reach different goals, WW does give you tokens - such as a keychain, pins, etc. If you attend the weekly meetings or get weighed in there, the give you a weekly pamphlet that covers different topics and teaches you new ways to make the program work for you. They do have a TON of other books and materials available for purchase, which can all be very helpful, but absolutely not necessary.
  • savingsunday
    savingsunday Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Plus I had to buy the book, they gave me NOTHING, I had to buy everything to figure the points.....books, calculator, etc., no problem, I did that. Here in Michigan where I went to meetings, you had to pay $12 a week, no matter if you went or not.

Just wanted to make a quick point.. I am not sure if it was just an issue with the location where you joined, but when I went back last year (after not going for like 5 year), they gave me all of the membership stuff again which included a huge book of foods with their points value plus literally a TON Of other reading material in one huge package. If you need to calculate points for foods that aren't in that book, you can use any one of the million free apps online, or for your smart phone, which will do that for you. You don't need to buy a points calculator from Weight Watchers to calculate points plus.
    And once you have those materials, you never have to go to a meeting again or pay another dime if you don't want to. they give you the tools and it is up to you to make it work. If you need the accountability of getting weighed in there and attending meetings, then that is your choice - and pay the cash to do so.

You must have a generous group! When I did WW you also had to buy EVERYTHING (cookbooks, calculators, the food books, etc) if you wanted it, with the exception of the weekly mini magazine of course. And you had to pay for your weekly meeting even if you missed it!

Again, I'm not knocking WW because it does work. I just found it too expensive (again, I'm the type where attending meetings very beneficial). I did try just online and didn't do well. Also found it a bit trying to keep track when I didn't have the app, which you couldn't use if you weren't actually a member.

It all truly comes down to personal preference. Like I said earlier, each person has to find what works for them. If you're ultimate goal is to lose weight it has to be a lifestyle change, whether your preference is MFP or WW for tracking.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I used weight watchers and it definitely works well and you will lose weight. But there are subtle differences with MFP and I tend to like MFP better myself having tried both.

I feel that tracking points is fairly easy, however, you do have to learn to convert the macros of a given food to points and that can be challenging to some people.

While technically there is a way to do WW for free, it does take of extra work to do so. For 1, the app to track your points and look up food is not free. And you have to have a second app to scan bar codes (at least at one point you did, not sure if they integrated it yet.). If you need to re-adjust your points when your weight changes, then you have to go to some third party site that is not a WW approved site to figure out your new points. All in all, a few hoops to jump through, but not too bad if you are adept at it.

All things being equal, I like MFP better. I did lose more weight with MFP as well. I like the presentation of the website and the iphone app better as well. I also prefer the MFP community forums.

Just try both and see what you like better.

If you want to log a food on MFP you need to either search for it in the database or scan the barcode.
    THEN, you have to compare what comes up to what is actually on the label and I'd say about 9.9999 times out of 10, the information in the MFP database is wrong - and there are a million entries to choose from. Not only is that annoying and time consuming, but you can end up tracking the wrong numbers if you pick the wrong database food entry.

With WW, you can enter the macros into a calculator to get your points value and always know - 100% of the time, that the points value you get is correct - nothing to worry about. Not only that, but now there are SO many Weight Watchers endorsed foods, that have the points value right on the label, so it literally requires NO calculating whatsoever - what is easier than that?

I've never used the WW barcode app so I can't comment on that - or their database - I prefer to use a calculator.
    There are plenty of free calculators that don't require a WW e-tools membership to use them and they are just as accurate. I've been using the same one forever.

The points are based on certain calculations, so when your weight changes, you can just do those calculations again to get your new points number. I had to do that when I was a paying member of WW anyway - they didn't always tell me when to reduce my points - and it important to know how to do that anyway.

Finally, there is a tool/script that you can install into certain Internet browsers, so you can track your WW points in your MFP food diary. I have found this extremely helpful and easy - so I can track my calories and macros as well as my points all on one screen. Many people aren't aware of this. Here is the link to the thread with more information:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/822197-how-to-track-weight-watchers-points-on-mfp

I guess I'm confused why you're finding it so necessary and frustrating (to you) to 'educate' people on WW? Why are you HERE if WW is so wonderful? it works for some, not for others... it works for you so why are you doubling up?
    Because you still have to keep track of what you put into your mouth and this is a simple way to do that. WW is a guide line and so is MFP, they are tools and complement each other.
  • Benphi91
    Benphi91 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There is far too much text in this thread.

Don't waste your money on anything that isn't food or tea.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I am a Weight Watcher Lifetime member who recently got back to goal, so now don't have to pay when I go to a meeting (as long as I go once a month and stay under my goal weight). HOWEVER, if MFP had existed years ago, I might not have joined WW. I certainly think MFP provides better economy than WW, and its food database is excellent. One thing WW does is provide that weekly accountability when you face the scale. So if that is something that you would find motivating, then you might benefit from it. WW has a very bottom-line profitability business model, so they do have lots of products (snacks, smoothie mixes, exercise DVDs, bowls, cookbooks, etc.) to buy at the meeting sites and they push their own activity monitor (which, in addition to the cost of the device, costs an extra monthly fee to synch/track with the WW online tools). From reading reviews online, it sounds as if the WW monitor is far inferior to the Fitbit or other monitors that have free online synching/tracking sites. Of course you don't have to buy an activity monitor. I got a Fitbit in November, synched to MFP, and absolutely love it; it is very motivating insofar as getting yourself moving more. Anyway, good luck. I'm sure you'll get a lot of good feedback about WW and make the right decision for yourself.
  • CM9178
    Options
    I don't see why you would want to pay for it when you have access to MFP for free.

Totally agree. I don't think there is anything that WW can offer that MFP doesn't offer without the cost. I also think it's SO much easier to count calories and macros...than the points system.

I'm sure WW works. Let's be real..every diet works, but for me...there is no question, MFP it is.

ok?? WW offers the accountability of physically having someone weigh you, as well as weekly meetings you can attend for 30 minutes, and reading material every week to learn more about eating right. MFP offers none of that.

With MFP, it is ENTIRELY on you with no in person support from anybody.
  • CM9178
    Options
    Plus I had to buy the book, they gave me NOTHING, I had to buy everything to figure the points.....books, calculator, etc., no problem, I did that. Here in Michigan where I went to meetings, you had to pay $12 a week, no matter if you went or not.

You must have a generous group! When I did WW you also had to buy EVERYTHING (cookbooks, calculators, the food books, etc) if you wanted it, with the exception of the weekly mini magazine of course. And you had to pay for your weekly meeting even if you missed it!

Again, I'm not knocking WW because it does work. I just found it too expensive (again, I'm the type where attending meetings very beneficial). I did try just online and didn't do well. Also found it a bit trying to keep track when I didn't have the app, which you couldn't use if you weren't actually a member.

It all truly comes down to personal preference. Like I said earlier, each person has to find what works for them. If you're ultimate goal is to lose weight it has to be a lifestyle change, whether your preference is MFP or WW for tracking.
    I never said the cookbooks or calculators were free. When you join, you get a food book with all the points values. That is basically what you are paying the registration fee for. (unless they have free registration).
    Yes, they sell other specialty books - like books for eating out, etc. and you have to buy those IF you want them. But the basic food book is given to you at registration.

Also, if you need the accountability of attending the meeting - then what would you expect to pay for that? My center charges $14/week. I personally don't find that too expensive to attend a 30 minute meeting and get the support that some need to stay on program.
  • CM9178
    Options
    I don't see why you would want to pay for it when you have access to MFP for free.

Totally agree. I don't think there is anything that WW can offer that MFP doesn't offer without the cost. I also think it's SO much easier to count calories and macros...than the points system.

I'm sure WW works. Let's be real..every diet works, but for me...there is no question, MFP it is.

ok?? WW offers the accountability of physically having someone weigh you, as well as weekly meetings you can attend for 30 minutes, and reading material every week to learn more about eating right. MFP offers none of that.

With MFP, it is ENTIRELY on you with no in person support from anybody.

We get it. You like WW and think it is worth the money. Some others, myself included, do not. We do not feel that you are getting something worth paying for WW given what MFP offers for free. I don't need to have a person standing there weighing me in to keep myself accountable.

It's great for people who like it and are willing to pay for it. I'm just not one of them.
    You made the statement: "I don't think there is anything that WW can offer that MFP doesn't offer without the cost" - and that is not true, as I explained above, WW does offer many things for a price, that MFP does not offer/could not offer for free.
    Maybe you don't feel it is worth paying for what WW offers - and that's fine and understandable - but that's not what you originally said.
  • NurseKristi81
    NurseKristi81 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I do both MFP and WW, I am a lifetime member of WW after losing 80+ pounds. I have 9 more pounds to go!:) I likethem both and they both go hand in hand IMO
  • savingsunday
    savingsunday Posts: 148 Member
    Options

I never said the cookbooks or calculators were free. When you join, you get a food book with all the points values. That is basically what you are paying the registration fee for. (unless they have free registration).
    Yes, they sell other specialty books - like books for eating out, etc. and you have to buy those IF you want them. But the basic food book is given to you at registration.

Also, if you need the accountability of attending the meeting - then what would you expect to pay for that? My center charges $14/week. I personally don't find that too expensive to attend a 30 minute meeting and get the support that some need to stay on program.

Nope, not even the food book was free. You had to pay for it. It's great that you love WW so much and it is working for you. But please don't get mad at those of us who chose MFP over WW. It all comes down to personal preference. :)
  • CM9178
    Options

Nope, not even the food book was free. You had to pay for it. It's great that you love WW so much and it is working for you. But please don't get mad at those of us who chose MFP over WW. It all comes down to personal preference. :)
    EDIT
  • CM9178
    Options

I'd go back and ask for a refund then, because the food book is included as part of membership.

I have not gotten mad at anybody for choosing MFP over WW, I could care less what people choose to do.
    I get frustrated when people spread false information about the program, based on their misinformation and lack of knowledge and understanding about it.

To say something like "Weight Watchers doesn't work" is the equivalent of saying "reducing your calorie intake doesn't work". It is complete nonsense.