Do you believe you can do it? HELP~

Options
What do you do, when you lose your motivation? What do you do when you honestly do not feel you can lose the weight?
I get to a specific weight loss level (between 15-20 pounds) and my loss stops. Dead stops! After a couple of months of this plateau, I give up.
I repeatedly read the blogs, especially the sucess stories. I love reading the stories and looking at the pictures of those who have attained their goals. I notice one thing that everyone says (that has accomplished their goal) is, "if I can do it, you can do it".
You have to truly believe that in order to do it.... how do you get this motivation? On Biggest Loser, the trainers "beat" it into their heads that they are worth it and they CAN do it. In real life, where a trainer does not exist, how do you receive this mentality change?
HELP!!

Replies

• hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    You get that motivation from here. This is NOT easy and it DOES take a lot of work, but if you stick to it, it can be done.

Sometimes we get stuck in a rut, eating the same things, doing the same workouts. Day after day looks the same.

I have plateau'd a couple of times already (and I am in one now). This is when I start to change it up a bit. I increase my calories for a couple of weeks (by like 300 or 400 calories), then start a new workout routine and drop the calories down again. This, so far, has worked for me everytime.

Please, Don't give up!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I stopped setting weight loss as a goal. I set my goals to eat right and exercise. Each day I did that, I met my goal. The weight will come off if and when it feels like it (and it does), but I can't control when that happens. I CAN control what I eat and how I exercise and the steps I'm taking to live a healthy life. The scale will (and does) take care of itself-but when I stopped looking at the number on my scale as a goal, things improved dramatically.

That's not to say I don't want to lose weight or that I'm focusing on body fat or just going by how I look-that's not true at all. I just set my goals based on things I can control, and look at the weight loss as the result of achieving my goals. And even without a trainer around, I DO believe that I can achieve my goals. I can eat better and exercise. The rest takes care of itself.
  • August_1958
    August_1958 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Great advice vitaminddd & hauer01! Thanks for your responses!!
    I won't give up. I have continued everyday since April 2012, to track my food diary.
    Inspirations like you both are so much appreciated by us that are in the negative mode temporarily!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    NEVER GIVE UP.

EVER.

bruce_lee_quote.jpg
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem for 6+ months now. I lost the initial 55 lbs and then just POOF. Life took over and I stopped caring as much as I used to. I've been losing the same 8 lbs for the whole 6 months.

I think it's important to just stay committed. Remember what you are doing this for and even if you have a few bad days,weeks,months you can still do this. You can still progress forward towards your goals.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    One of your biggest motivators should be the fact that you are still on track to getting there all you need to do is take a moment and look at what you are doing and ask yourself what needs to change so you can move forward.

There is always a reason for stagnation and sometimes it's eating too little or too much and lack of exercise. There are many reasons but the fact that you are you and you can make these changes you can find out what is going to work to get you there. You just need to find the answer that works for you :)

Don't give up, you will get there. Your goals are attainable and you are definitely capable.
  • August_1958
    Options
    51 pounds, how fantastic is that??
    :bigsmile:
  • reree6898
    reree6898 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My biggest motivation is seeing the changes in myself as I go. I have lost 86 pounds so far and like in my profile picture I do comparison shots every month or two to compare with my starting point. The profile picture is one side from January 1st 2012 and the other side from January 1st 2013. Also take measurements and compare what they are now versus what they were when you started. The more I actually see that there is a difference in me the more I want to keep going. Hope this helps!!
  • albr0271
    Options
    I feel the same as you...if only i could even make it to 15 pounds! Mine has tapered off around 8-9 pounds. Starting to wonder if my body simply does not want me to lose anymore weight. I just keep working at it.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    It was a photo that made me start my weight loss journey, so whenever I was talking myself out of a workout or didn't feel motivated, I pulled out that photo; It definitely got my butt into gear! I am also a very visual person. I had 2 focus boards. One on Pinterest(to help me at work when I needed a little reminding) and a collage I created and posted in my home office that consists of Motivational sayings, pictures, reminders, etc. It definitely helped me, and I still have it up but just with different things now, as my goal has changed.

Also, I can kiss my lucky stars that I never plateaued! If I can offer some advice. How often do you switch up your workout routine? I changed mine every 4-5 workouts, it kept my body guessing and didn't let my body fall into a routine. I think that is what helped me the most. I also took monthly measurements. There is so much more to weight loss than the number on the scale! Taking measurements allowed me to monitor my hard work, and showed me where I needed more work. For example. Month A's measurements showed that my hips when down 2 inches, but my waist only when down half an inch. You now know that for the next month, to incorporate more ab and core work into your routine, and so on.

And yes, there were days that I had zero motivation, but I forced myself to do it, and then motivation would eventually come, even if it wasn't until mid workout. I always felt better afterwards, and you'll never regret a workout! :smile:

I hope this helps, and good luck! You can do this!
  • aprmay
    aprmay Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I would lose about 20 lbs and then stop. Stuck! Then I will lose motivation and just not do it for a while. And now I am restarting again! But I know this time will be IT! Just keep on eating healthy, exercise and one of these days, we will have our success stories to tell. :)
  • sarah6336
    sarah6336 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I set my mind to it and just did it. It was tough. I was only eating 1200 calories for 6 months before I got to my goal weight. For me, I thought of my photo from my brother's wedding and a party I went to for alums from college. I was so heavy, and wanted to change. It was really a slow process to take it off, and I struggled. I just know that I feel better about myself and can enjoy sports now that I'm thinner. You have to do it for you, and just focus on one day at a time. You'll get there, don't give up.
  • Amykbradley
    Options
    My most valuable skill is learning how to give myself a "Push'. A little further, a little faster, a little longer. You get my drift. Because then I can focus on a goal that is not tied directly to my weight too. Something that is measurable and can show improvement. Like how fast you can walk a mile. Or a number of reps.

I've taught myself how to talk myself INTO something. Talk yourself into it. Not out. IN. These are the kinds of thoughts I rely on...over, and over and over.

"I can do anything for a min." which turns into "I can do anything for 2 mins, or 3 mins or 10 mins".

" My lungs will not explode." Seriously, I say this to myself. Because honestly, they won't. Although they sometimes feel like they might. LOL. :)

"Breathe, remain calm, you are FINE."

"Finish strong. Finish Strong. Do not quit." I may be slow, but I'm still beating everyone on the couch.

"So long comfort zone."

and my personal favorite...

"You will not die from embarrassment."

Good luck to you!! I'm sending you patience and courage!
  • August_1958
    Options
    albr0271: You're already gorgeous the way you are!
  • August_1958
    Options
    All these responses have been great... thanks for taking the time to respond!!!!
  • FloraSin
    FloraSin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    When I slide into one of those "Let's just split a medium pizza between the two of us and grab some beers" place, I just reflect on what I've done. The motivation returns once I've succumbed to the craving and since they aren't often, I allow it. If I keep denying myself, then I actually feel less motivated than if I'd just eaten the damn pizza/wings/cake/pie/etc.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes and goes. You can't rely on that to carry you through.

I think the change happens when you stop seeing a particular goal as something that's optional. Some goals are things that we would like, but don't really mind if we don't get. (For me, I decided I wanted to read at least 3 books a month this year. I'm a bit behind on that - it's something I'd like to achieve, but it's not a huge priority.) There are other things that are non-negotiable, whether they're holding down a job, finishing a degree programme, getting the kids fed, clothed and to school on time...)

Some things are things that would be nice to have... other things are important enough that you do whatever it takes to get you there, regardless of whether you feel motivated or not on any given day.

I never thought I'd ever be a healthy weight, or considered "slim" by the people around me. In the end, I decided it was important enough to just do it.

I think one of the most important things is to not let yourself give up, or backslide. There will be bad days, and even weeks. There will be times when you just can't be bothered any more. The good thing about weight loss is that it is possible to tread water for a while without undoing all your good work. If you're becoming psychologically exhausted with it all, it is possible to switch to maintaining for a while, to gather your energy again. I'm a big believer in regular diet breaks anyway (like every couple of months). This is especially recommended if you are experiencing serious plateaus.

If you give up, and stop logging/counting calories, then there's a very good chance that you will undo your work and gain weight. Keep logging so that you can at least maintain the progress you have made. Too many people see this as an "all or nothing" thing, and if it's not working now then they might as well give up and get used to being fat forever. If you're not losing over several months - then something is not right with your calculations (or there is something medical going on). It doesn't hurt to start a thread here for advice on your numbers, and this group board is especially good for this kind of advice: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

As for believing that you're worth it - that's got to come from inside you, and is a whole other massive topic. It can be just as hard as losing the weight. For me, I had to start believing that I was worth it before I could start losing the weight. One thing that has helped is getting more active, and trying new activities. Proving to myself that I could run at all, let alone any kind of distance, was an amazing confidence boost. Lifting heavier and heavier weights is the same. You don't have to run or lift, but there are so many different things you can achieve with sports or fitness; they give you a focus outside of the weight loss, and help to change your mindset about things.

Other than that - the little tricks like taking progress photos, writing down all the reasons you want to lose weight (and sticking the list somewhere prominent), re-reading all those success stories... all those things can help too.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym and PR on something. Then I remind myself that my body and my health and being strong are more important than my weight.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I've been plateau'd and lost motivation a few times. I'm still in a better place than where I started.

There are other aspects to your health other than weight. Just keep doing what you're doing!
  • laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have been on this "journey" not really journey but life style change 3 years-yes 3 years!!! There is no magic pill, no magic at all-it is hard work in choosing the right things-making the time for YOURSELF to workout-either a walk or a DVD or a class-never forget it is for you. We all get discouraged but don't let it stop you-make little goals-like: today I am eating only 1400 calories or walk for 30 minutes or drink 70oz of water and when you reach that goal make another-take it one small victory at a time. Even though I have lost 100 lbs I still want to lose another 60 but instead of saying 60 lbs-my new goal is to drink 70oz of water a day and do a little workout on my off days from zumba class. and say only 1 lb or less a week. I know I will keep the 100+ lbs off because I have changed-no longer do I sit in front of my TV at night with a large bowl of ice cream-if I want ice cream I eat it-I count those calories into my day but I only eat a small cup or cone not the whole pint. Remember to love yourself first and take care of her-make those good choices for her-one step, meal day at a time. Good luck-trust me I am 55 (almost 56) and I did it-if I can so can YOU-believe it:heart: