BMR question

Options
Hi everyone hope you are all well

My question is on BMR (Basic metabolic rate)
So far I have been using MFP's daily food count of 1360 which was set up for me when I created my account, and so far it has worked well for me, however I have notice quite a few people on here commenting that this number can be to low and you can stop losing weight as your body can go into starvation mode and that you need to use your BMR for a better weight loss result long term.

Anyway Today I found a calculator that told me my BMR is 1555.

So what I'm asking is should I reset my daly cal's to this even though I've been successful so far in my weight loss?

And what have everyone else found to work better for them?

Thanks Tracy

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Your body will only go into starvation mode after prolonged not eating. Like a week or longer...

You cannot physically starve or enter starvation mode if you are eating at least SOMETHING everyday.

Anybody who says otherwise is wrong.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should eat at least your BMR. Most people will lose weight initally, but you will probably find that you will plateau eventually.,
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I eat at less than my BMR (and have been for 3 months) I have not plateaued at all. I have lost weight every week. I have averaged 12 lbs/ month.

There have been many studies shown that with appropriate protein intake and strength training, BMR doesn't change even in VLCDs. Since you are not talking about a very low calorie diet, it shouldn't be something you need to worry about. Of course, strength training and appropriate macros are always recommended. If you are successful and don't seem to be losing strength, etc... I say keep doing what you are doing.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Eating at or around your BMR is a good idea generally.

Having said that your current calorie level doesn't seem excessively low (especially if you are eating back your exercise calories) so it's up to you really if you want to change it.
  • lazydaydays
    Options
    Still not ensure about this
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    The term "starvation mode" is not at all applicable in this situation (and rarely is with 99.9% of people's threads)

Eating above your BMR is advisable as when you eat below it your more likely losing muscle along with fat.
    The recommended deficit is your TDEE - 20-30%.

That all said I lost 30 lbs on 1200 cals last year, though most was fat, some was inevitably muscle that wouldn't have been as much if I'd been more patient with a smaller deficit over a longer period. Exercising everyday and high protein helped reduce the total lost as much as possible.
  • lazydaydays
    Options
    Thanks ev1 for you views on this.

I have come to the conclusion to continue with my 1360 cal's,but I'm also not going to panic to much if I go slightly over (as in up to my recomended BMR 1555)

Tracy x
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    If you answered the MFP questions accurately when you set up your goals, then you are fine. MFP actually calculated your BMR, TDEE, and calorie deficit from those answers.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry eat, it not don't

I lost 57 lbs much of the time I was below BMR.

Be sure to prioritize your calories lean protean should have priority over other macros.