replacing french fries and chips.

Options

Replies

• Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    My favourite healthy crunchy snacks are seasoned Kale chips (downside is expensive to buy ready-made, and time consuming/tedious to make) and roasted seaweed packs, but they may be a more acquired taste for some people.
  • d_llopez
    d_llopez Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I EAT CHIPS AND DON'T SUBSTITUTE BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO STOP EATING WHAT I LOVE. IF I STOP EATING WHAT I CRAVE THEN I'LL EVENTUALLY FAIL. SO I INCORPORATE ALL THE FOODS THAT I LOVE AND EAT SMALLER PORTIONS OF THEM.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Oven baked fries.

For chips slice a potato with a mandolin slicer. Rinse the slices and soak them for about 30 minutes. Pat each one dry and put on a plate(glass plate works best) sprayed with pam. Spray the tops of the slices, sprinkle with whatever seasoning you want(I love LOTS of black pepper on mine), and microwave for 2-5 minutes (until they start to turn brown).

Let cool.

CHIPS that taste so much better than oily bagged chips.
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    Options
    i really enjoy the frozen bake at home french fries or hashbrowns-mccain makes ones called "simply potatoes" and thats all they are, bake up nice n crisp too! If your home made fries are coming out crispy try convection bake, or baking on parchment paper!
  • ErikaWasTaken
    ErikaWasTaken Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I broil slices of sweet potatos with oil oil on them, they come out really crispy! Also can bake kale chips with the same, only add some salt and peepr. bake the kale at 375 for 45 minutes and they melt in your mouth,

I love, love, love homemade kale chips - super easy to make and they are delicious!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if I'm having Fish 'N Chips, I'm having some fries...hell, I'm already eating deep fried fish. i don't make it a routine habit, but I like to have my fish 'n chips about once per month. I don't eat all of the chips/fries these days though as my stomach has shrunk and I can't fit everything in there...I also only get the one filet instead of two.

In RE to your sandwiches and the like...I used to be a potato chip freak...I just weened myself away from them and now it feels totally natural to have my sandwich with some sliced cucumber chips with a little salt and pepper. Figure I don't need the chips, my average PB&J clocks in at about 550 calories anyway.
  • pilk32
    pilk32 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Both of these are a little high on sugars, but can be a sufficient substitue every once in a while.

Veggie Straws

Flavored Mini Rice Cakes
  • goodenough13
    Options
    I like chips with sandwiches too and found that Popcorn Indiana popcorn chips are perfect!
  • spinnybecky
    Options
    Carrot sticks - you can eat a lot, 1 whole cup = 50 calories, and they really fill out the plate and make your lunch more visually appealing. I always eat something with my sandwich, I like to alternate a bite of sandwich with a bite of something else. I'll do apple slices too...slicing up a whole apple makes it look like a lot more food than just setting an apple on my plate.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I Salty crunchy ketchup. What should i eat on the side of my bocaburger? What can i have instead of hashbrowns?

I'm with you in spirit. Basically - you need to indulge in the full burger and fries once a week as a cheat. There's no substitute for french fries, I'm sorry to say. Mashed cauliflower might pass for mashed potatoes, and air-popped popcorn might satisfy the need for a crunchy potato chip, but french fries are really a thing all to themselves, you basically need to learn to go w/o. If you aren't avoiding carbs also, then you could try roasted sweet potato (or even some real potatoes, which aren't unhealthy in moderation), but its not a french frie!!

what has gotten me through the times I needed normal food is to use condiments to flavor healthier fare. So if you want a burrito, put beans and salsa on a salad. If you want a burger, you could crumble the burger onto a salad. Or you just make a healthy burger and have soup or salad or even roasted veggies on the side, add some hotsauce or perhaps even 1 tbsp of ranch.

ultimately, for alot of the junk foods we have to give up, there is no real substittute - you just need to learn to do w/o....and it definitely gets easier (although having one cheat meal helps).
  • Hinxx
    Hinxx Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Terra Vegetable Chips.
  • whenday
    whenday Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I eat fries just not as much and not as often.

I also love kale chips for their crunch. If you like broccoli you should like the taste of kale chips. Take a bunch of kale, tear them off the stems into small pieces. Spray a cooking sheet with oil spray and spread the kale out. Spray the kale with oil spray lightly. Salt them up. A little salt goes a long way with these. Bake in oven for 15- 20 minutes at 375 degrees. They have that crunch but are so light and airy they almost melt in your mouth. You can try different seasonings too.
  • GFQueen
    GFQueen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like boiled edamame, salted. It isn't crunchy...but the saltiness, and cracking open the pod to get the beans is really satisfying. It's what I try to substitute for fries or chips at home.

If I am out, I really like baked Lays potato chips. It's what I get with my sandwiches when I'm grabbing something to-go.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    If you want crunchy and healthy, why not a nice crunchy salad :) Adding things like carrot slices, water chestnuts, veiny greens (they usually have a good amount of fiber the more veiny they are), red peppers and things like that. It gives you that same satisfying crunch but way better for you.

This is what I do. My salads have lots of peppers, cucumbers, radishes, cabbage, etc. so that it is very crunchy and I make my own dressing. I have found it to be so much more satisfying that chips or french fries because potatoes leave my feeling hungry in a very short time.
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I bought the Eat this, Not that supermarket books and they say eat Ore-Ida steak fries. Bake them and go by the serving size, which is seven fries.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Alexia's makes low fat french fries. they might be found in the natural frozen food section in the grocery stores.

these are my favorite....

yukon-gold-julienne-fries-large.png

NUTRITIONAL INFO
    Serving Size: 3oz (84g/about 24 pieces)
    Servings per container: 5.0
    Calories [per serving]: 110
    Calories from fat: 35

Total Fat 4.0g
    Saturated Fat 0.0g
    Trans Fat 0.0g
    Poly-
    unsaturated
    Fat 1.0g
    Mono-
    unsaturated
    Fat 3.0g
    Cholesterol 0.0mg
    Sodium 8mg
    Potassium 310mg

Total Carbohydrate 6g
    Dietary Fiber 3g
    Sugars 0g
    Protein 2g
    Vitamin A
    Vitamin C
    Calcium
    Iron
  • djtessatessa
    djtessatessa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    baked parsnips
    dehydrated onion rings (raw vegan and super delish!)
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    pop chips. the best and lots of flavors. http://www.popchips.com/ never baked, or fried they are popped..yumm
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I like to eat cucumber slices with my sandwich. Nice and crispy; no fat, very few carbs, and almost no calories.