post-menopausal looking for weight loss and laughs

Options
I'm new to MFP and was pushed over the edge this weekend by looking at my scale. Yikes! I never thought I'd have a problem with weight... was always in pretty good shape and ran to keep the weight down. Now, two teenagers later, wrecked knee, and a sweet tooth that is coming back to haunt me, I need to get serious. I have tried WW, supplements, and am trying to be gluten-free (just makes me feel better). I'm swimming and walking instead of running, but I have never really done weights, and maybe I need to. I don't eat junk food and have a very varied diet, but I LOVE chocolate and a nice glass or red wine. I'm looking forward to helping and being helped in this community. Can't wait! :smile:

Replies

• Luvmichnata
    Luvmichnata Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi there. My awakening was my last physical in September when my weight was up 9 lbs in 1 year and my doc said I better get serious because there will be another 10 lbs coming with menopause! As of this morning I am down to 137-yahoo! and feeling great. Started exercising 3 weeks ago with Jillian Michaels dvds and I'm making progress losing inches and pounds. Switched my diet to high fiber and healthier options, more veggies, no starch and I STILL get my chocolate and red wine now that I'm working out and still dropping the weight. Yes-you should be adding weights to your routine especially for bone density and menopause. Set small goals and you'll have more successes to celebrate! You can add me as a friend!
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Welcome Tashahem......there are a few groups on here for us mature ladies. I am 53 and proof that it works. I also have knee problems so swim as my main exercise. I have recently started with kettlebells at home and am tracking progress with a tape measure rather than the scales.
    Good luck.
  • patmat
    patmat Posts: 19
    Options
    Hello, I too had a wake up call after completing a health fair event at work...my routine labs were great except my HDL (Happy Cholesterol) was low and my bone density was sliding in to the Osteopenic level which is a precursor to Osteoporosis...
    I had gained weight through my Perimenopause journey and am now post menopausal.. I had gained weight and am now on a mission with a healthier nutrition component and a balance of strength training, cardio and conditioning..
    I have lost 17 lbs of fat, 5 inches of extra body, and still have a ways to go..but I am in better shape thatn when I started..
    My HDL is up. my bone denisty is up and my body size is going down!! Now all I have to do..is continue to reach my goal body shape...I'm not focusing so much on weight because the strength training helps to build muscle, so the scale can't tell the difference between fat and muscle..but my clothes fit better and I feel better....
  • redwine63
    Options
    Great result, will keep your story in mind. My menopausal body needs some work
  • 8dozendiets
    Options
    I am not sure if I am peri, post or whatever, since I had a hysterectomy years ago. But it sure feels like I'm still in menopause.
    Would LOVE to get to know you.
  • lovesdogs1960
    Options
    I too don't know where I'm at as I also had a hysterectomy in my 30's. I am now 52 and having a heck of a time losing weight this time around. Wish it was as easy as losing my mind or my reading glasses....:wink: Would love to join you in your journey.
    Shauna
  • suemichele
    suemichele Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi there..I also had a hysterectomy in my 30's but still have my ovaries. I am 54 now and just love those hot flashes! LOL! I am thankful it is winter out and I can open the door to cool off!!!
  • Lonasue32
    Lonasue32 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 but went through menopause in my mid 30's. It seems it is harder for me to lose weight but I'm not sure it has to do with menopause. I will be interested to see if there are others that experience difficulty with Menopause.
  • vnsswsh6
    vnsswsh6 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm 49 I also had a hysterectomy. My docter tells me that I'm experience pre-meonpause. I'm interested in what Menopause will be like...LOL
    :laugh:
  • MoonGypsyQ67
    MoonGypsyQ67 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I sent you a request. Feel free to add me if you wish. I am a work in progress, but I do check in every day and do my best to encourage and motivate others. I am always happy to welcome others to join me on the journey towards a healthier lifestyle.
  • jetaylor63
    jetaylor63 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sounds like we have a lot in common Tashahem. Friend request on its way. :drinker: (ps. there's red wine in the mug Smiley is lifting)
  • DianeKateGoble
    Options
    I was 38 when I went through "surgical menopause" ... Feel free to add me!