Any emotional NON-eaters out there?

Options

Replies

• Mmmporkrinds
    Options
    Same here - when I'm stressed I can't eat. Last time I got very stressed I was barely eating anything for a few weeks (whereas normally I'm tempted to eat anything that isn't screwed down). Luckily that doesn't happen very often - maybe once every few years.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I am this way too. Several years ago my ex left to go to Iraq and I did not eat or drink for 4 days. I was a wreck and didn't leave my bed. I get extremely nauseous when I'm upset and can't eat a thing. I guess everyone deals with emotions differently.
  • Adrini
    Adrini Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Me! Stress to. My husband has to put food in front of me to remind me. :)
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    There were two times in my life when I didn't want to or forgot (gasp!) to eat; Once, when I was really thin from nearly starving on a nurtritious, but very low cal diet, running 5 days a week and working as a hotel maid, I felt great and wasn't thinking about food. The next time was when my ex-husband left me and my 3 year-old son for another woman. I felt like I had swallowed a big rock and just didn't have the energy to eat. I lost 20 lbs, which wasn't a bad thing, and gained a lot of self-sufficiency and self-confidence with a little help from a couple of therapists. Otherwise, anxiety is one of my biggest eating triggers.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    me. i cant eat when i'm depressed and stressed. no appetite.

fortunately i'm a relatively happy person and content with my life and confident in my abilities to make changes i want to make in m life, so what's good for my mental and emotional health isnt necessarily good for my waistline :laugh:
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    yes. it's one or the other. I either over eat or I stop eating. this is why MFP is so important to me.
  • krislyn84
    krislyn84 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Happens to me big time. Somebody else mentioned fruit juice and there have been times it is the only thing I have been able to force down.
  • TNR32
    TNR32 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Same here I have to force myself to eat. When stressed out I lose my appitite and pace the floor.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I, in the past month or so, have just completely lost my appetite when I'm upset or stressed. I used to be a big emotional eater, not sure what the switch is. Only thing I can think of is this is my second month of birth control which, luckily for me, tends to curb my appetite.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I don't eat when I'm stressed or upset. I can't imagine how anyone finds comfort in food when they're upset. Just the thought of eating anything makes me want to puke.

The majority do find comfort in food; the fact that you (and for that matter, I) do not find food comforting when upset makes us the "weird" ones, not those who do.
    Thank you everyone! I'm so glad to find other "weird" ones like myself. Most of the people I know are comfort food eaters and I never have been. I'm crying right now as I post this. I'm having a such an emotional roller-coaster week and yet I've found my people. :frown:
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Yep. I completely lose my appetite when I'm stressed, angry or sad. I was never an emotional eater. My stomach feels like crap when I'm even the slightest stressed. Sometimes it's a bad thing because there are times when I'm stressed for a couple days straight causing me to force feed myself.
  • Oakley82
    Options
    Me! *raises hand* During a bad breakup I just physically couldn't eat. I got down to 103 lbs. Of course I lost/damaged my long blonde hair :cry: , had LOTS of health problems :noway: and naturally, I gained it all back and then some :grumble: I feel you though. I have no advice, but I do have empathy!

I have to remember all of that when I get frustrated and just want to starve myself for weight loss! I find myself very much an emotional eater now...happy, anxious, you name it...
  • Can_Change_Natalie
    Can_Change_Natalie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I can go either way i would normally comfort eat however the last 2 weeks i have had some very tough family stuff going on i have been so upset i wasnt eating. But i focused on my goal and made my self eat i find soup i good when u dont want to eat. Wish you all the best
  • sarantonio
    sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Yup, If I'm stressed I wont eat, I used to overeat when I was stressed, but I stopped emotional eating and I cant eat for any other reason except for hunger or boredom. When the husband and I were having problems last year, I would go days (48+hours) without eating until I realized my stomach actually HURT from hunger
  • glamouritz64
    glamouritz64 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yes, the more stressed/upset I am, the less I eat. I overeat constantly when I'm bored though.

^^^THIS
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    ya id do too when im upset i dont want to eat cant eat everything makes me even more sick to my stomach
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    That is what I do. When I'm upset, the THOUGHT of food makes me want to yak.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say I have NEVER lost my appetite. Don't even know what that means.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Yep. I completely lose my appetite when I'm stressed, angry or sad. I was never an emotional eater. My stomach feels like crap when I'm even the slightest stressed. Sometimes it's a bad thing because there are times when I'm stressed for a couple days straight causing me to force feed myself.

Same for me. Makes me feel like my stomach is one giant knot. I have low blood sugar too, and the not eating has caused me problems a few times. I have to force myself to eat something or I can black out. Luckily, it's been many years since that's happened.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I can't eat when I am depressed. If I am an anxious however I eat like a cow to comfort myself. Depression however has a bad trigger for me so food is a huge no go when I feel so down. That's why I hate it when people attack my food diary for having a few low days and they don't even think before they assume I'm starving myself. Depression sucks because I have no desire to workout and therefore I lose a lot of weight but I also wither away and loss my body definition.