HIIT suggestions?

Options
I'm looking for some good body weight interval stuff for when I'm shorter on time and cant get to the gym. I'm an insanity graduate but looking for something in the 15 to 20 minute range to do on busy days. I checked out bodyock and zuzka but their websites are confusing.

I have an interval timer, so it doesnt need to be videos. But anything new would be great.

Or if anyone can just help me figure out the bodyrock stuff that would be great too

Replies

• lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    hey, i found this awhile ago litealloy.com, body rock workouts but you can choose which ones . Hope this helps
  • wolfcounty
    Options
    Haha yeah that should help a lot actually! Thank you! I think I will feel like im cheating myself doing such short workouts though lol
  • CoachChrisD
    CoachChrisD Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Les Miles will be good
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
  • wolfcounty
    Options
    Thank you! The tapata training was very useful. Do you normally keep strict to the four minutes or add on to it? I think at least mentally id have a hard time sticking to such a short workout.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Thank you! The tapata training was very useful. Do you normally keep strict to the four minutes or add on to it? I think at least mentally id have a hard time sticking to such a short workout.

I usually do it at the end of my workout.

I sprint for twenty seconds (100% effort) rest for ten. I repeat it 8 times.

If you're doing it correctly you won't be able to go longer than 4 minutes.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    I'm looking for some good body weight interval stuff for when I'm shorter on time and cant get to the gym. I'm an insanity graduate but looking for something in the 15 to 20 minute range to do on busy days. I checked out bodyock and zuzka but their websites are confusing.

I have an interval timer, so it doesnt need to be videos. But anything new would be great.

Or if anyone can just help me figure out the bodyrock stuff that would be great too

Please read this article, it certainly changed my view of what HIIT and the Tabata Protocol is and how it is done. It will certainly get you over this notion of 4 minutes and/or 20 minutes. Also an interval timer times intervals, the important part of HIIT is HIGH INTENSITY but the definition of what HIGH INTENSITY is will leave you astonished.

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/the-tabata-myth/ - BTW it is not saying Tabata Protocol is a myth, it is all the myths surrounding the Tabata Protocol and intensity required.
  • Jtorres326
    Jtorres326 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Zuzka has a great youtube channel w free full length high intensity workouts. I tried one, and even though I nearly finished insanity, I couldn't get through 15 minutes with this chick! I'm working on it each day.
  • wolfcounty
    Options
    Very interesting article but it doesn't really discourage me. I'm interested in the HIIT stuff and have definitely had good results. Though it does help express why I feel I'd be a cheater doing 4 minutes because I would not put out the type of maximal work they say requires a proper "Tabata". I will likely continue to do longer interval sessions and just push as much as I can. Drowning and sweat and starving for oxygen lol
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I've done tabata-style bodyweight work with alternating rounds of kipping or jumping pull-ups, clapping push-ups, jump squats or deck squats, and either pulse-ups or combat sit-ups. Never been too happy with the pulse-ups or combat sit-ups, so last time was 12 rounds total alternating between pull-ups, push-ups, and squats.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Here is what I do:

10 one min intervals with 15 seconds rest., after 10 rests for 2 minutes and repeat,

During the interval do any of the following:

Squat
    Lunge
    Step Up
    Bugarian Split Squat
    Jump Squat
    Push Up
    Side Lunge
    Plank
    Explosive Push Up
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i dont know anything about insanity, p90x, zumba or any other trends but i do know all about being on a tight schedule. What i do is cardio first (20-30 min) as hard as i can or HIIT, then i go from 1 strength training exercise to the next without any rests BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM. I think people call that intervals. So long as youre working different muscles you dont need to take the 30 secs to rest in between

and i skip stretching altogether so i can get back to my desk in time
  • jimmie65
    Options
    i dont know anything about insanity, p90x, zumba or any other trends but i do know all about being on a tight schedule. What i do is cardio first (20-30 min) as hard as i can or HIIT, then i go from 1 strength training exercise to the next without any rests BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM. I think people call that intervals. So long as youre working different muscles you dont need to take the 30 secs to rest in between

Wow. That sounds like all the worst advice you can receive rolled into one.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    Very interesting article but it doesn't really discourage me. I'm interested in the HIIT stuff and have definitely had good results. Though it does help express why I feel I'd be a cheater doing 4 minutes because I would not put out the type of maximal work they say requires a proper "Tabata". I will likely continue to do longer interval sessions and just push as much as I can. Drowning and sweat and starving for oxygen lol

Not meant to discourage, just that people need to know what is High Intensity and what is doing things a little bit harder for 20 seconds. I love all sorts of HiiT but mainly use HIRT to get maximal heart rate. Also, progressive ladders bodyweight or with resistance I find gives ME the best workout in a 40 minute burst of activity with no rests but doing exercises that are hard, harder, easy, hardest, hard, easy, hardest then back to hard.
  • notthatthis
    Options

Wow. That sounds like all the worst advice you can receive rolled into one.

It is not the worst advice but HIRT would reduce the time issue and get the aerobic and anaerobic response or put another way aerobic endurance with catabolic burn or another way breathless, sweat, fat burn, Type II muscle development and all done in 40 minutes. Yes it can be done. Just avoid the machines, unless it is a dual cable machine allowing full range of motion.
  • wolfcounty
    Options
    Thank you all for all the input. I'm going to kind of work with the different ideas and tweek it as I get more experience to maximize my results. In particular I want to tryout different work and rest times. With the insanity workouts you end up doing more like 3 minutes work and 30 seconds rest. I've done the 20/10 and tried 50/10 as well. I see some people do intervals based off reps rather than time as well.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    You can count reps and make a game of tabata or HIRT, or as a measure of improvement.

Example - front squats with DB's - 1st round - 15 reps, 2nd rd 15r, 3rd rd 15r, 4th rd 10 r, and then count reps on last round which in some cases may be zero, and of course if you peaked during any round and had to skip a round that would be Zero. Over the weeks, you should see final round improvement like getting to 8th rd 8reps - then of course you increase the DB weight. You can do that with all resistance exercises, time the round, count the reps, keep intensity very high.

edit - of course some people gog easy in the early rounds to then get a final round score, that really really defeats the object.
  • jimmie65
    Options
    You can count reps and make a game of tabata or HIRT, or as a measure of improvement.

Example - front squats with DB's - 1st round - 15 reps, 2nd rd 15r, 3rd rd 15r, 4th rd 10 r, and then count reps on last round which in some cases may be zero, and of course if you peaked during any round and had to skip a round that would be Zero. Over the weeks, you should see final round improvement like getting to 8th rd 8reps - then of course you increase the DB weight. You can do that with all resistance exercises, time the round, count the reps, keep intensity very high.

edit - of course some people gog easy in the early rounds to then get a final round score, that really really defeats the object.

Adding to this: you can also do pyramids. Start with 1 rep the first round, then do 2 reps, 3, 4, etc. up to failure. Once you've reached failure, then start going back down (if you got 12 reps, the next round is 11, then 10...). You can also make the steps multiples of some number instead (2,4,6 ... 6, 4, 2). I've done steps of 5 for push-ups and it is a helluva workout.
  • wolfcounty
    Options
    I've done pyramids a few times, normally with only one particular move though. The multiples of fives sounds both awful and so fun. I might have to do some work with that. I still love doing insanity and following along with video, but this has helped me come up with a bunch of ideas which would be great especially in that I don't need the TV or DVDs or anything and can still get a good fun workout.

I was thinking of using essentially doing broken down burpees and doing intervals of its pieces. Squat jumps, push ups, possibly mountain climbers and or the in/outs from insanity which would be kind of fun.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    When I mentioned Ladders in an earlier post, it is a reverse pyramid - start at the high number and go down and then back up (back up - never been done I up the DB weight). I do not focus on one exercise but usually 6 exercises and I start at 8 on each.

e.g.

lunges with dumbbells resting on shoulders (I keep my back straighter this way - personal thing) onto bench - left leg then right leg
    DB chest press - wide
    DB chest press - tricep focus
    side step onto weight bench with high knee DB's one shouldered on lifting leg and other by side for high knee - left leg - right leg
    cable machine squat and one arm row at top - left arm - then right arm. Sometimes do CM Squat with DB pendulum swing
    shoulder press or lateral raises with DB - (although intense this provides the natural pause to get HR down)

I use 4 different DB weights, the transitions are also slight rests - slight!