Working out JUST to be able to eat more?

Options

Replies

• CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    meh. I did it. It worked for me.

Seriously, are you going to tell me it's "unhealthy" to balance your eating and exercise???? If you become too OCD about anything, that's bad. But come on!
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I definitely see nothing wrong with this. The program on here is designed to make you lose x lbs a week. If you work out and eat back your calories and stick to your goal and everything is accurate you should be loosing at the rate of your goal. It's not linear, but it should be in the ball park. If you work out and don't eat your calories back, of course you are going to loose quicker, that's not exactly rocket science. You've created a larger deficit by burning more and not eating the calories back again. So, if you want to maintain a say, 0.5lb/week loss and eat a bunch of ice cream, burn an extra 300 calories a day, and chow down! You'll still lose that 0.5lbs/week. If you don't eat the ice cream, you would have lost maybe 1lb instead of 0.5lb.

I think your friends are silly.
  • 1jobean
    Options
    Someone once told me eat to run dont run to eat. Its all about being healthy. That doesnt mean you cant work harder so you can budget for ice cream but be healthy first then on occasion splurge and make up for it by exercising.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Its all about net calories. I am a firm believer if you use the 1200 calories everyone starts with regardless of their weight for healthy eating than you can eat whatever you fancy with whatever calories you have left to reach your net goal.
  • throttle2009
    Options
    Hey it happens occasionally. If you eat a little extra or something with high cals then you have to go a little harder in the gym, go a little longer on the run etc. Got to make up for it. I do it from time to time and it works out OK.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with that. I don't believe in the whole CI/CO thing.

Increase your energy expenditure (i.e. exercise) and your body will compensate by asking you to take in some energy (i.e. eat).

So you are just doing what it wants you to do, before it asks you.

Of course, I use diet to maintain my weight, not exercise. And do my best to live an active lifestyle. That way, structured exercise is not needed...nor wanted.

Don't the two bolded parts conflict??

You don't believe in calories in/calories out but you acknowledge that if you increase calories out that you need to increase calories in?
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time because I try to finish up each day with a calorie deficit (I usually aim for 200+ calories extra). I don't always make it, mind you, but I do try.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I killed myself on the treadmill to earn ice cream yesterday. Check out my diary from last night! I do it all the time!
  • Milliemocha
    Milliemocha Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I often work out more if I'm going to be eating more than usual or after the weekend when I always eat more. Seems like a sensible solution and I love working out too. Plus if I have some extra cals for something naughty I can enjoy it guilt free :-) whatever works for you I say
  • rheelizabeth
    rheelizabeth Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I kind of do this.... if I know I'm going to eat a lot one day (for instance today, being pancake day!) I will try to burn extra calories... I burned 530 today compared to the normal 350-400 calories I burn 6 days a week.

If I accidentally skip a meal, I try to avoid doing too much exercise so my net calories don't suffer too much.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with that. I don't believe in the whole CI/CO thing.

Increase your energy expenditure (i.e. exercise) and your body will compensate by asking you to take in energy (i.e. eat).

So you are just doing what it wants you to do, before it asks you.

Of course, I use diet to maintain my weight, not exercise. And do my best to live an active lifestyle. That way, structured exercise is not needed...nor wanted.

Don't the two bolded parts conflict??

You don't believe in calories in/calories out but you acknowledge that if you increase calories out that you need to increase calories in?

I was thinking the same thing.
  • Otrogen
    Options
    As specifically as you're doing it, it sounds detrimental. The attitude should be more learning how to control what you eat, and then working out a bit extra if you occasionally go over your limits. "Buying" food with exercise really is just setting you up for future problems. You can only work out so much before you've exhausted your body and overexerted yourself. If you let it keep going, you have a chance of ending up there. It's an unhealthy pattern, and you should break it.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I always work out to eat more, because I like eating. I also go to work every day so that I can pay my bills and live in a house, because I like living in a house.

No big deal, just do what's good for you.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    *Shrug* I started working out so I could drink beer every night. 2 years later I'm still doing it. It all depends on what motivates you.
  • missmince
    missmince Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You are not alone, I do the same thing, but with booze

I find working out gives me a mood boost that makes me relaxed without alcohol. But I've semi-convinced myself that a spiked latte is a good post exercise drink (protein + carbs) since food sounds disgusting for hours after working out. (I'm semi-kidding here)
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have three very good friends that make me want to do this, Hagaan Daz and Ben & Jerry.
  • BrittyAnnette
    BrittyAnnette Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do the same thing. Day to day I strive to eat to fuel my body and provide it with the best nourishment. However, there are times I have a craving, a party etc. and put in an extra hour of cardio. On the flip side, there are days that I've gone over my daily allowance and am mentally ok with it. I think it's all about a healthy balance.
  • LetsDoThisForReal
    Options
    Your comment: "fitness happens in the kitchen and not the gym" is stellar. I will remember that and apply it to myself. Thanks!
  • carolynkaykerr
    Options
    I like to walk and to excercise, it is now a good habit that I now have. AND I also will do a little more if I know I am going to be eating more. I think it actually is a healthy way to stay within your calorie goal, and not worry about it, or feel guilty about eating a little more.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I have to compensate for it or else I'm totally pooped by the end of the day.