Hi, I am new here and need healthy food ideas...

Options
Hi I am new to this and My Husband and I are trying to eat healthier and workout but one big issue we have is what to buy when we go do groceries. Like what healthy foods should we look for? Or what kind of foods are good in carbs or calories?? We have been cutting out fried foods to broiling the meats and making mashed potatos or white rice...but we don't think they're that healthy. Also, my husband is not to fond of salads,fruits or veggies he wants to start trying to eat them but we don't know any good ways to start i myself love the salads,fruits and veggies! But we want to do this together and any tips or advice would be very helpful! :)

Replies

• Rosiegordon33
    Rosiegordon33 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Your husband will probably find it easier to eat sweeter fruit and veges to start with and if you can, bake them because they feel like more of a treat when you do it that way. Sandwiches filled with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and a meat such as chicken or ham are always delicious. Or you could try using dips with your veges, I use hummus. Hope that helps
  • ceckstein12
    Options
    I have a bunch of healthy meals that a really easy and don't take too much time to prepare and make.

Some example are that I've completely switched all pasta/rice dishes to using roasted spaghetti squash. I also do a lot of roasted veggie meals with zucchini, squash, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, etc. as well as meals such as zucchini boats.

I am new here as well but will be attempting to post recipes and pictures as I go along if you would like to add me :)
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend is also a veggie-hater...i have gotten him to eat grilled corn on the cob, mashed sweet potato with cinnamon (no added butter or sugar, just a little milk), roasted purple potatoes with seasoning, glazed carrots with light butter and even a few stalks of grilled asparagus. i find roasting/grilling the vegetables releases their natural sugars and sweetness and make them more palatable for people that don't enjoy their vegetables. try baked sweet potato fries and broccoli with cheese dipping sauce also.

i also sneak them in wherever i can, onions/peppers in chili/sloppy joes/homemade pizza....i actually made mashed cauliflower once and he didn't know that it wasn't potatoes.

at the store, buy whole wheat and/or seeded bread, as colorful of vegetables as he will eat, ground turkey to substitute for ground beef, turkey sausage and pepperoni and low sodium meats whenever you can. progresso soups are hearty on the meat and potatoes but also tend to be low in calories and sneak a few carrots in there, they're good for lunch.

good luck being the S.O. of a strict carnivore, it's a frustrating ride
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. First things first: there is no such thing as a food that is healthy or unhealthy all by itself. Eat the foods you like and maintain balance. It's your diet as a whole that can be either healthy or unhealthy, NOT individual food items. Think carrots are healthy? You think it's healthy to eat carrots for breakfast, lunch *and* dinner, and nothing else? Make sense?