grinding your own lean meats

Options

Replies

• DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It's not really safe to grind your own poultry due to the higher risk of bacterial infection.
    Cook it to the proper temperature, just as with any other meat product.

No, it's different. I have a young relative with severe GI problems and chicken was the only meat he could eat, but it had to be organic. His mom couldn't find organic ground chicken but the GI clinic said absolutely not to grind her own that it was not safe. It's not about cooking temp.

Magic bacteria survive any tempature
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    It's not really safe to grind your own poultry due to the higher risk of bacterial infection.

No, it's different. I have a young relative with severe GI problems and chicken was the only meat he could eat, but it had to be organic. His mom couldn't find organic ground chicken but the GI clinic said absolutely not to grind her own that it was not safe. It's not about cooking temp.
    Yeah, no.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Yeah, no.

Yeah, I'm sure they were just making it up. Medical professionals tend to do that.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I can't even LOOK at a meat grinder. My grandmother lost 2 of the fingers on her left hand in a meat grinder. Kinda too bad she wasn't a heavy metal music fan.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Either you are full of crap, or 'the GI clinic' is on the take from a company that makes organic crap. 50/50 chance these days.
  • ksuh999
    Options

Yeah, no.

Yeah, I'm sure they were just making it up. Medical professionals tend to do that.
    Please provide me some proof that grinding your own poultry results in invincible bacteria.

Are you saying that the stuff in grocery stores **is safer**, even though everyone and their dog knows that mass-meat grinding operations are *guaranteed* to distribute bacteria?
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    My butcher grinds chicken breast for me for free.

Whether that's because I'm charming or if it's because it's a free service, I don't know.

I use it to make thai chicken meatballs. Mmmmmm...
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    OMG I read this as grinding with your own legs. Bummer.
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I buy bulk chicken and trim nicely myself. With the leaner trimmings I'll grind it up, season, make patties and freeze. Takes a few minutes to fry up with some coconut oil.
  • ksuh999
    Options
    I buy bulk chicken and trim nicely myself. With the leaner trimmings I'll grind it up, season, make patties and freeze. Takes a few minutes to fry up with some coconut oil.
    Are you dead yet? Because you might be and not know it.
  • stormsusmc
    Options

Because I'm eating fat...? I don't see your logic. Chicken is quite lean, and I use the lean trimmings. I make my breasts weigh 10oz each. The excess gets made into patties and I know what I'm using, it's not getting made for me.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Because I'm eating fat...? I don't see your logic. Chicken is quite lean, and I use the lean trimmings. I make my breasts weigh 10oz each. The excess gets made into patties and I know what I'm using, it's not getting made for me.

Read the rest of the thread, and you'll get the joke.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I buy cuts of meat as they are on sale, store them in the freezer and when I feel I have enough for a batch, I thaw it out, grind it and refreeze in quart freezer bags. It saves money and is much leaner than store bought grinds. When turkeys are on sale before Thanksgiving, I buy one or two extra and grind them up. I also make my own sausage out of ground boston butts, much lower sodium and fat than store packages of sausage. Alton Brown has a great breakfast sausage recipe that I love.
  • stormsusmc
    Options

Read the rest of the thread, and you'll get the joke.

>.< gotcha

rbp i suppose
  • Hirgy03
    Hirgy03 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Disappointing thread is disappointing

:frown: :ohwell: :smokin:
  • squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've been grinding chicken, beef, pork, and lamb in my food processor for years because I'm completely grossed out by what goes into commercially ground meat. As far as I know, I'm not dead yet. I was very excited to get a meat grinder attachment for my kitchenware mixer this year for Christmas. I think that definitely makes me a geek.
  • k_diddly
    k_diddly Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    1)
    His mom couldn't find organic ground chicken but the GI clinic said absolutely not to grind her own that it was not safe. It's not about cooking temp.

-absolutely untrue for bacteria proper, but if your meat (or dirty grinder) is already infected with Clostridium, the botulism toxin they make can persist at temps up to about 180 F.

2) I use my KitchenAid grinder to grind all sorts of meats and love it.

3) Recently got the sausage stuffer bit for the KA, and homemade sausage is fantastically different from commercial or even Grocery Store prepared sausage. Plus you KNOW what is in it.
  • lei1111
    Options
    im sure it is because you are very charming. =)
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    im sure it is because you are very charming. =)

Why thank you!
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Not all it's cracked up to be. Since I separated from my wife last year I've been grinding my own meat a lot more often. Leaves something to be desired.

LMAO!! Hahahaha!