Should I give up coffee?

Options
Johnnyswife
Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
http://www.teeccino.com/building_optimal_health/129/Caffeine-6ampB-Weight-Loss.html

I used to drink a HUGE cup of coffee every morning. It was like 2 to 3 cups in one. Add to that Splenda or one packet of sugar, and some flavored creamer, and I was good to go.
When I started my weight loss, I cut back to one TINY cup of coffee, and one measured tablespoon of flavored creamer. The sugars and calories fit well into my plan and coffee has a good amount of potassium in it, which I am tracking.
So now I wonder after reading the article above, along with a couple others, should I just give it up and switch to my alternate drink of choice? (Apple cinnamon tea, caffeine free.)
Anyone else drink coffee and give it up? Did it help, or was there no change? I don't wanna give up my :drinker: because it will make me :sad: . But I'll do it if will help in the long run.

Replies

• RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking coffee from the very begining and haven't had any problems.
  • lauraandmonsters
    lauraandmonsters Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    OK, they are trying to sell their product, so I would look into it. I doubt your little cup is killing your diet. You could always go a week with out and see if it made a lick of difference. I'm not ready to give up my two cups a day yet. Good luck!
  • crystalcd
    crystalcd Posts: 3
    Options
    I couldnt give up my one cup of coffee in the morning. I could drink it all day. In the sweltering heat. I love coffee. I hope it doesnt prevent me from losing weight because I can give up candy cakes cokes and chips but I have to draw a line with the coffee. Good luck!
  • c2mr5721
    c2mr5721 Posts: 29
    Options
    You would have to pry my fingers off the coffee cup, no way no how am I going to give up my coffee. :drinker:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I drink a big 24oz of real 8 O'clock coffee just about every morning. I grind the beans myself and make it in a french press, and I make it way too strong. It hasn't bothered me, and I wouldn't give it up for anything.
  • squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    Over my cold, dead body. I need my morning coffee.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a cup of coffee every morning as well because I wasn't getting very much sleep. I decided to just work on getting 7-8 hours of sleep every night, dropped the coffee, and started drinking a lot of water. The only time I get yawny and tired if is I couldn't get to sleep (like last night) or ate a lot of carbs the day before. I feel so much better without coffee, I'll never go back!!
  • Jcrowe0317
    Jcrowe0317 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have cut back on the cream in my coffee but not given up coffee. As long as you track the cream you should be ok. I even use light cream versus half and half. One tablespoon seems to add enough flavor. You can also use the fat free half and half, though, I don't care for that and if you are a diabetic, it has more sugar in it.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Basically from what I get after reading that article is that it makes you stressed and makes you hungry. In turn causes you to eat. If it doesn't do that then it's not going to affect your weight loss. I would think it's only going to affect it if you are loading it up with calories.
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I used to drink an iced coffee every day. I gave it up slowly. Now I just drink it when I'm ready to hurt someone. Those REALLY BAD MOOD days. And its a Large.

When I drink coffee now I dont lose weight that day. It takes a day or two to go away.
  • Clare_C
    Clare_C Posts: 4
    Options
    I gave up coffee for other reasons. But drinking it never really had an effect on weight loss. To be honest, I know I'm better off without caffeine but I dont feel any different than I did. I'm still always tired!!!
  • amg5157
    amg5157 Posts: 52
    Options
    I have read a few things about coffee not being good for people on a Low Carb Diet. Something about how it increases insulin levels. I cut back from my 24oz of coffee a day to 8oz and its KILLING ME!!!! lol
  • veganmommy04
    Options
    every person is different. and i know your post is about coffee but my story is about diet soda(coke zero). march was a year that i gave it up. my trainer just knew i would lose about 10 lbs from stopping it in about 3 months tops. so i quit cold turkey did great like i said march was a year for me. i did not lose a pound not one stinkin pound(all i drank was water, thats it). i didn't feel healthier or clearer or any difference. and i actually gained about 5-6 lbs and have to work harder to keep it off bc, when i used to reach for a coke zero, i turned to reach for food. and even healthy food has calories.
    i found out later that results on drinks like tht are different for everyone, some ppl do lose weight by quitting diet soda or coffee, the diet soda it depends on your normal sodium level and how your body holds it, since i don't add salt to anything, the sodium in the diet soda wasn't hurting me. i know it may not be the healthiest thing in the world. but i'm going back to it, i'd rather grab a calorie free drink i enjoy when i'm craving comfort than food.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I don't have a good answer but am curious as to why you're tracking potassium? is there a daily limit on this, I had never thought about tracking that. forgive my ignorance pleas
  • SnuggleBunny
    Options
    A recent Cambridge study found that coffee drinkers are 33% less likely to have a stroke than non-coffee drinkers. It doesn't matter how much coffee you have a day, what type of coffee (brew, drip, press...), or even if it was decaf. I only read the abstract and not the article, so I have no explanation for why.
  • AbiLuV
    AbiLuV Posts: 47
    Options
    I would take it with a grain of salt. It seems like they have motive and want to sell you their product. There are even more aticles that say coffee is good for you. I would not use Splenda though. Try one of the new sweetners like Truvia or Agave Nector (my favie) with fat free creamer (not the sugar free because they use Splenda). And stick to one cup.
  • littletiger972000
    Options
    I drink a big 24oz of real 8 O'clock coffee just about every morning. I grind the beans myself and make it in a french press, and I make it way too strong. It hasn't bothered me, and I wouldn't give it up for anything.

My boss calls this kind of coffee "Big Girl Coffee" HAHA, since our office is full of women and she loves it this way....the stronger the better...even her husband has to weaken it to drink it! LOL
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I love coffee and would even consider hooking myself up to an iv bag of it some days (kidding).
    I drink mine black, slowly weened myself off the additives in it. There are hardly any cals, nothing really in it.
    It does increase your appetitive, but I think it is offset by the energy it gives you. Just my opinion :)
  • Moolieloo
    Moolieloo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I gave it up for two weeks because I could have hot tea with Truvia and have no calories, versus all the flavored cream I put in my giant cup of coffee (about 100 cals!). After two weeks of total exhaustion and crankiness, I went back to my best friend, Mr. Coffee!! I just make the extra calories fit into my day. Its worth it to me!
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I hav enever given up my morning coffee - my huge CUP of coffee. i use splenda and sugar fee creamer. It has not had any negative effects on MFP journey. My motto - "one & done".
    It is your choice and think of the consequences if you do not have it.:explode: