The Truth about Diet Supplements

HealthyChanges2010
HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Though this question of diet pills is asked over and over on the forum, thought I'd post what I was just reading on the web.

The Truth about Diet Supplements

There are a multitude of diet pills, diet supplements, and weight loss formulas to choose from. This is a multi-million dollar industry in the US alone.

The reality is however, there is a risk of side effects from virtually all diet pills. What's worse is that some simply don't work at all. There is a lot of deceptive marketing that goes on when advertising weight loss supplements - if you are taking care of your diet and exercise, it is difficult to tell exactly how effective the supplement is.

Acai Berry
This is perhaps the latest fad diet supplement since it was recommended on the Oprah show. Companies were quick to jump on this trend and many weight loss acai formulas are available with scams abounding. Many sign up for free trails and never get them or are charged a lot of money after the trail ends. Buyer beware!

Xenical (Orlistat) (Alli This is the over-the-counter formulation of Orlistat available in the USA.)
The Xenical prescription diet pill works by reducing the body's ability to absorb dietary fat by about one third.

Despite being heavily advertised, Xenical has some particularly difficult side effects. Because Xenical attempts to dispose fat that you have consumed, many people report lots of trips to the bathroom, including foul-smelling oily excretions (particularly if they have overdone fatty foods). Doesn't seem quite so glamorous as the ads would have us believe.

Here are some common side effects from Xenical:

Oily or fatty bowel movements (stools)
Increased number of bowel movements
Urgent need and/or inability to control bowel movement
Bowel movements that are orange or brown in colour
Gas with discharge
Oily discharge
Stomach pain
Irregular menstrual periods.

Do not confuse herbal diet supplements with prescription diet pills.

Replies

• bubbledelicious
    bubbledelicious Posts: 6 Member
    anything on Hoodia pills??
  • jenners22
    jenners22 Posts: 91
    Hoodia is a "natural" drug. It can cause weight loss, but it does this by speeding up your heart and can lead to heart attack.

Bascially, diet and exercise work. It may not work as FAST as it would when using pills, but it is MUCH safer. I want to lose weight so I can live longer. If I lose 80 pounds in one year using pills, chances are, I'll be hospitalized for heart attack or stroke.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Hoodia is a "natural" drug. It can cause weight loss, but it does this by speeding up your heart and can lead to heart attack.

Bascially, diet and exercise work. It may not work as FAST as it would when using pills, but it is MUCH safer. I want to lose weight so I can live longer. If I lose 80 pounds in one year using pills, chances are, I'll be hospitalized for heart attack or stroke.
    :drinker: :wink:
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    This is from You on a Diet by Dr. Oz and Dr. Rozien

Page 322....."Theres been more Hoodia sold in the last year (2006) than has actually been produced in all of African history-meaning there are many companies claiming to have it in the bottles they're selling, when there's none in there."

I found that pretty interesting. They use an herb called Garcinia that works the same way as Hoodia. But its still not Hoodia.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    This is from You on a Diet by Dr. Oz and Dr. Rozien
    Do you happen to own the book? Simply asking because I've gotten it from the library I don't know how many times now.:blushing: :laugh: So wondering if I might just buy it for myself as the resources are incredible. Love the way they write the 'You' books.

Perhaps I'll reward myself with it one day.
    Becca:drinker:
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Yes, I own it. I refer to it often, so I consider it a very good investment!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Yes, I own it. I refer to it often, so I consider it a very good investment!
    Thanks, figured that'd be the response I got, some books you simply NEED to own. lol
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    The only natural diet "pill" I think works is guarana - and it is a energy booster only. It is basically like a couple of cups of coffee...helps with intense workouts or (like when I use it) to run a 5K or something like that.
This discussion has been closed.