Should I give up coffee?

Options
2»

Replies

• ifeelgreat
    ifeelgreat Posts: 12
    Options
    I drink coffee with a teaspoon of fat free half and half, then I switch to unsweetened tea in the afternoon. I love it and it keeps me full. Coffee and tea keep me from snacking. I have never liked sweetener in coffee, try it without for a few days, you will love it.
  • ♥GymBarbie♥
    Options
    The answer is NO.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I too drink about 24 oz. of coffee a day. I only put either milk or soy or whatever white beverage we've got in the fridge in the morning however.

And like other people said; They'd have to pry the cup from my cold dead fingers. The only way I'd give up coffee is if a doctor told me it was going to kill me. It is my one vice I suppose. Could I cut back? Yes. There are weeks that I drink much less, but mostly I drink a cup when I get ready in the morning then my travel mug full, which I think is like 16 or 20 oz.

To answer your Q though....I say if you are feeling good phycially and mentally and still losing weight then don't change what you are doing. It's when you start feeling crappy or aren't losing weight that you want to try different things to see if it helps.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Over my cold, dead body. I need my morning coffee.

I think I'll re-use that quote. I actually drink 2 cups a day, one in the morning and one in late afternoon.

It's COFFEE. No we shouldn't put a bunch of fat and calories in it, but a splash of skim milk and a touch of sugar isn't going to stall your weight loss.

I was listening to some radio station the other day and it one of the djs on there was like "I gave up coffee, its not good for your health" and the dj was like, "then why are you drinking a diet soda?" LOL!!! That sums it up for me, a lot of people are all high and mighty about it, but as I always say EVERYTHING in moderation!!!
  • fonrouge82
    fonrouge82 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I gave up the flavored creamer-which I tend to think I enjoyed more than the coffee itself-but still drink my travel mug of black coffee on the way to work. I allow myself one cup of coffee WITH my favorite creamer on the weekends. YUM! :drinker: :drinker:
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    Options
    Enjoy your coffee.

Life shouldn't be boring and coffee isn't that bad for you plus any milk you put in has calcium which we need and you're using splenda which is probably the best artificial sweetener.

If you're feeling really bad drink an extra glass of water a day to counteract any dehydration from the caffene.
  • AbiLuV
    AbiLuV Posts: 47
    Options
    Still not sure? Try going without for a week or two and just see how you feel. Maybe there will be a differance?
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I don't have a good answer but am curious as to why you're tracking potassium? is there a daily limit on this, I had never thought about tracking that. forgive my ignorance pleas
    I get MASSIVE getupinthemiddleofthenightscreamingandlimping leg cramps. Doctor said I wasn't getting enough potassium and since I try to get it in my foods, I don't get the cramps at all now.

It depends on the day, but I seem to drink it and not be too hungry unless I skip breakfast (rarely) or eat a really light breakfast. But my hands shake a lot, and the coffee seems to add to the shaking. I might try to give it up for a month and see what happens. I've already cut back to a teeny 6 oz cup that I don't fill up. Shouldn't be too shocking to my system.

I know the link I posted, was for a product, but I liked they was they explained the whole coffee thing. The other articles left me confuzzled.:embarassed:
  • Critter16
    Critter16 Posts: 1
    Options
    I really don't drink a lot of coffee but I did switch to Organic decaff, organic sugar and organic fat free milk. I figure if I'm going to try to eliminate something or try to switch to diet I might as well do it in a healthy way..GO ORGANIC!!
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    According to Dieticians/Columbians/Nutritionists/Bob you should never/always drink coffee with/without artificial sweeteners/real sugar/honey, but never/always before noon.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    According to Dieticians/Columbians/Nutritionists/Bob you should never/always drink coffee with/without artificial sweeteners/real sugar/honey, but never/always before noon.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That clears a lot up. Thanks!:laugh:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Wow,,, according to Bob? Well there you go... Can't /always go wrong trusting that Bob guy, he's the ginchiest.
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That clears a lot up. Thanks!:laugh:

You're welcome. Life's too short to give up my morning coffee.
  • vicks1982
    vicks1982 Posts: 3
    Options
    life would be pretty boring if we had to give up all of our vices!

I think that coffee does increase your appetite but if you have it with low fat milk/cream/sweetener and don't have loads of cups each day then I don't think it will make a lot, if any, difference to your weight loss. Maybe drink a glass of water for every cup you have.

I try not to have more than 2 cups a day, and am trying to drink fruit tea first thing in the morning and one after dinner (Twinning Blueberry & Apple is the best I've found so far) but you need to let it really brew for a good 5 mins before drink it, and leave the tea bag in the cup aswell!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I don't think I've ever noticed that coffee has increased my appetite. Interesting...
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet soda too, its been four months and I dont miss it. I am not as gassy(tmi) and also dont feel puffy and bloated. When I read about all the sodium and holding water weight, I was glad to give it up. Now coffee thats another story