Can't meet my sugar daily target

Options
Hi there,
It seems like no matter what I eat in a day, I can't meet the sugar daily target. If I eat 1 banana and a mandarin, I'm already over the target. I'm confused as I actualy pay attention to what I eat!
Is MFP simply miscalculating what my sugar intake should be? Or should i cut out my fruit intake?

Replies

• Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Assuming you don't have any preexisting conditions (diabetes or thyroid problems) don't worry about your sugar target at all. Meet your calories for the day, meet your protein for the day. If you've done that and get a decent amount of fats, enjoy all the sugar you want and don't stress. It won't impact your weight loss.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    at first read of the title, i thought, "how the hell can anyone not meet their sugar target?"

don't worry about it. mfp lumps sugar from whole foods in with sucrose. the fiber in whole foods balances out the sugars for a slow release.

unless you have a medical condition, and your doctor instructs otherwise, don't worry about it.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    My sugar comes from chocolate or lollies, so I know I have a problem and am trying to reduce those. Sugar from fruit is a bit different - while you should still be trying to keep it down, fruit provides other essential nutrients (fibre, vitamins) that you should be including in your diet daily. The recommended daily intake in AUS is 2 servings of fruit and 5 of veg, so as long as you stick to 2 servings, I wouldn't be too worried! Don't go overboard with it, but don't cut out fruit just to keep sugar down!
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    what the above person said, only worry about processed sugar white sugar etc. even raw cane sugar should be had only in moderation, if at all.

but when it comes to fruit it doesnt matter and doesnt really matter with dried fruit, pure honey, pure maple syrup etc although more than 2 tablespoons is probably a little much
  • mrs_deg1983
    mrs_deg1983 Posts: 157
    Options
    sugar from fruit i would not worry about but stay away from added sugars.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    My sugar comes from chocolate or lollies, so I know I have a problem and am trying to reduce those. Sugar from fruit is a bit different - while you should still be trying to keep it down, fruit provides other essential nutrients (fibre, vitamins) that you should be including in your diet daily. The recommended daily intake in AUS is 2 servings of fruit and 5 of veg, so as long as you stick to 2 servings, I wouldn't be too worried! Don't go overboard with it, but don't cut out fruit just to keep sugar down!

2 pieces fruit is minimum recommendation
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Assuming you don't have any preexisting conditions (diabetes or thyroid problems) don't worry about your sugar target at all. Meet your calories for the day, meet your protein for the day. If you've done that and get a decent amount of fats, enjoy all the sugar you want and don't stress. It won't impact your weight loss.

^^^^^

This.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    While sugar is sugar and doesn't matter the source, unless you have medical reasons to prevent sugar intake, eating lots of fruits is good and the sugar from those fruits shouldn't be a big concern. Chow down on them fruits and enjoy the delicious natural foods :)
  • knackarsch
    knackarsch Posts: 53
    Options
    This drives me crazy, too. My fiancé is a type 1 diabetic and eats more sugar than I do (they say nagging is really effective, right?) I'm consistently over on my allowed sugar, yet it's something I'm conscious of every day. Just watching someone else deal with insulin shots makes you think twice about that second cookie, or even the first. I think I'm going to raise my sugar goals to the amount I eat on the days when I feel like I've made good choices. I lowered my sodium goal because the only days I go over 1500 are the days I'm gorging on chips and Chinese takeout, so I want a heads up if I'm doing that.
  • Maystar80
    Maystar80 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I also NEVER meet it. Don't worry about it as long as you're getting most of your sugars from fruits and other healthier choices.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^^^^

This.

^^ I second the 'this'
  • MoonMeliMelo
    Options
    great! thank you for your advices! I guess I'll stop to worry about it now... =)
  • jodi8785
    jodi8785 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    it's driving me crazy! I don't even like sweets, I don't even put sugar in my coffee or tea and I double my daily intake of sugar. I think something is wrong with that function. I make all my food from scratch so I know what goes in it so I just don't get where it is all coming from :sad:
  • sarahmcgray
    sarahmcgray Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agee, MFP should really catalog sugars by "good" and "bad"--same for cholesterol. Otherwise the function isn't really very helpful is it?
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    fruit is just high in sugar unfortunately...I don't eat a lot anymore because of that
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I agee, MFP should really catalog sugars by "good" and "bad"--same for cholesterol. Otherwise the function isn't really very helpful is it?

sugar is sugar , your body doesn't know any different
  • assilembob
    assilembob Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I stopped tracking my sugar for this reason. My morning smoothie goes over my daily allotment. If I eat anything else with sugar, I'm way over, no matter if it's good or bad sugar.