How did you get so skinny?? (ladies only)

Options
I've been doing pretty well with my fitness lately. I've been eating 1200 calories a day as often as I can (with a couple cheat days on the weekends) and workout around 5 times a week. I do cardio, boxing, and weight lifting. I have more endurance, can run faster, have lost inches, gained muscle, and best of all, feel great! I still have a lot more work to do to get where I want, and sometimes I'm a little lost as to what I need to do to get there.

My question is to all you small, fit women on MFP: How did you get so skinny? Now I'm not talking about starving yourself, or looking like a skeleton. Quite the opposite-- I am talking about the small, but fit women out there. I feel like we put so much emphasis on weight. I am definitely guilty of that myself, but I think there are plenty of other numbers that are more important such as body fat %. I have put on some muscle in my fitness journey, lost some fat, but when it comes down to it, I really haven't lost a lot of pounds. Which is fine with me.

I'm not so concerned with how you lost 'weight,' but how did you gain muscle and lose fat? My goal is to be smaller, but stronger. Who hasn't wanted to rock that bikini during summer? ;) If you have done this, I would love to hear how. Calories, special foods, workouts, etc. I'm all ears.

Replies

• snowfox1
    snowfox1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bump
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Circuit training. But I was an athlete all of my youth and never got above 170 when I did gain so that helped
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Eating a total of 1700-2300 calories, getting a minimum of 100g protein daily, strength training with heavy weights, and running.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/886672-1-5-million-calories-in-775-days
  • Cravenamanda
    Cravenamanda Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    P90X after weight loss. I lost 9% body fat that way!
  • klackey23
    Options
    Picked up running, also do kickboxing and Zumba. I attribute most of my being toned now to going to a personal trainer for strength training once a week for past 8 mons
  • jenniferldorris
    jenniferldorris Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I run about 40 miles per week kickboxing twice per week and strength training once or twice per week, just depends on how much time I have, I also try to get 100 grams of lean protein per day. I eat less than some others around 1200-1500 cal probably on the low side but im still losing i'm 120.4 this morning but I am 5'3.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Heavy weight lifting (look into Strong Lifts, Starting Strength, or New Rules of Weight Lifting for women).
    Eating 2000 calories a day
    100g of protein
  • brittknight828
    Options
    Wow, this is all super helpful! Thank you everyone for the responses. I look forward to putting this all to use. :)
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Eating a total of 1700-2300 calories, getting a minimum of 100g protein daily, strength training with heavy weights, and running.

^This.

Strength training - heavy weights, 1g of protein per lb of LBM, and I just upped my calories to 2000 NET. I run once per week 3-5 miles. I think Lorina and I may be related.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Same here with eating 1800 to 2300 calories, 100 grams of protein. Lifting weights. No running for me. I dance and do yoga.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Eating 1750-1825, doing cardio and weights!! :)
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Yup, I'm still a work in progress, but lifting heavy, some cardio, and never eating below 1600 cals a day. Currently I'm eating around 1900 and still losing.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Guaranteed you won't gain muscle eating 1200 calories a day (I hope to God you're eating your exercise calories back.)
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Sexist title. :frown:
  • holliwood97
    holliwood97 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    love this... want to come back to it later. :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting, eating 2000 calories, 170+ grams of protein and sticking with it long term.
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting, less emphasis on cardio (3x per week rather than 5/6) incorporating yoga, and most of all diet. Lots of veggies and lean protein, light on complex carbs. Split is 35% fat, 35% protein, 30% carbs.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    eating at least 1800 cals and 115 g of protein a day, body weight strength training, picking up heavy things and running marathons.
  • tacosandbeerthatswhyimhere
    Options
    Bump
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'm older than most of you and short so my BMR is in the basement but I eat about 200 over my BMR and I leaned out by running. I'm at 19% BF at 55 yrs old and can run a 30 minute 5K now. I do strength training on my in between days.